Big Paint Chip (asking for a friend)

I have a friend who is not very smart.

My friend was drilling holes in the door of his signal red TR3A (just like the one I have) to accommodate a wing mirror base.

He drilled the holes very neatly, but stupidly, when peeling off the masking tape, on one of the holes he peeled the tape away from rather than towards the newly drilled hole.

As a result, quite a large paint chip flake has appeared, about the size of two 5p coins - oblong with jagged edges.

Underneath is very smooth grey primer, but the paint (on my friends car) at that point was clearly hard and brittle and not very well bonded to the primer.

Fortunately, most of the chip will be covered by the wing mirror base and rubber gasket, but my friend wants to repair as best as possible first.

I was going to suggest that he sand down the edges with a fine grade of west and dry and then build up with several layers of paint, sanding between until the surface is good enough, then leave for a week or so, polish / wax and leave to dry again before mounting the wing mirror over the said area.

I was also going to suggest that he put a little clear sealant under the rubber gasket for the wing mirror base to reduce the risk of water getting under.

My friend is worried that if he sands the edges of the cracked/peeled area first, even more will chip off ?

Also, should my friend use a tin of touch up paint brushed on thinly and smoothly in layers with say an art brush or use spray (he has both.... apparently).

Oh what should my stupid friend do ?

Thanks (on his behalf)

:ph34r:

Is the chip in one piece, if so pehaps "your friend" could superglue it back in place ?

Good job chaps like us don't do silly things like that !

Bob.

Austin

I have a friend who managed to stupidly chip the front wing on his TR6 when adjusting the bonnet margins (perhaps he is related to your friend - but then maybe not as his car is French Blue)

Following some advice from me he managed to slowly build up the paint using an artists brush in a few layers (patiently allowing each one to set before applying the next) then carefully sand and polish it back to a (near ) perfect finish

I hope your friend can manage a similar process - I am sure with your counsel he will do just fine!

Graze

I was told by a bodyshop person to use a matchstick to touch up chips. You carefully build the thickness of the paint in blobs by touching the surface and as you pull away it raises up the paint. Dont sand down the edges, they contain the blobs.

It works better if the paint is thick and you shouldnt over do it while wet.

I had a tin of leftover paint that was very gloopy but if its too thin put some in a small container and let the majority of the solvent evaporate.

You can brush some clear lacquer over when dry.

Nick

I would try running a bead of superglue around the edges of the holes and leaving for capillary action to draw it into any cracks. Then lightly abrade the edges and the base primer with 150 grit and touch up with a brush or a match or a toothpick. Whatever takes your fancy. When dry rub down with wet and dry on a very hard rubber or steel base (I have some clever sticky back stuff that works a treat). Start with 400 grit and finish with 1200. Finally polish with Farecla G10. I used this process to effect an invisible repair on my son in law's guitar.

Rgds Ian

My friend is grateful for your advice. The initial attempt went well, but he needs to rub back to get rid of the red primer that he put on in a panic when the hole first appeared and then touch up again !

However, he wonders; once he has a smooth matching paint finish, what does he use to get that glassy hard finish that the rest of the car has ?

Grateful (he is) as ever

My friend is grateful for your advice. The initial attempt went well, but he needs to rub back to get rid of the red primer that he put on in a panic when the hole first appeared and then touch up again !

However, he wonders; once he has a smooth matching paint finish, what does he use to get that glassy hard finish that the rest of the car has ?

Grateful (he is) as ever

Austin,

I think 'your friend' is doing something wrong. :blink:

The correct procedure is to put some paint on, rub down a larger area than necessary, put more paint on, rub down an even larger area, put more paint on, rub down the whole door. Respray complete door and find the colour doesn't match.

Strip car and remove complete body from chassis, take back to metal, treat, prime and finish in chosen colour. Reassemble. :P:D

Why should you 'your friend' be any different?

Hope you find this helpful. ;)

Cheers

Graeme

Austin,

G10 is a polishing compound that will give you a very shiny finish.

I assume you are using cellulose based paint so it is worth remembering that it will need a few days to harden and shrink back before you polis