Please can someone tell me the thread size for the 1/4 bolts which hold on the wings, splash panels and lots of other parts on my 3A.

I have a Rivet nut tool and only the metric fixings it came with.. I did order some imperial rivets at the time but it was so long ago that I only have one left.

My local distributor , called TR fastenings in Uckfield, do not have any and have no trade outlet at the head office.

So I will have to find someone else and need the thread size. I am looking for stainless steel this time as well.

Thanks

Richard & H

¼" UNF (28TPI)

Note. In the USA this would be ¼" ANF which is the same thing !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

AFIK the only UNF ones available in this country are these http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=6138003713

Unfortunately they are in plain steel and do take a lot of pulling in to get them to set properly.

Stuart.

Must read the text correctly............ Sorry guys

Tom

Thanks for the replies.

So if I buy stainless steel it will be difficult to compress. I will settle for aluminium and I am a bit confused about the thread. size in this thread :unsure:

Please confirm whether it is 1/4 UNC or not.

Richard & H.

American practice hardly ever refers to UNF/UNC.

They would just say 1/4 x 20, or quarter-twenty and so on.

Wish we did this.

They actually call these SAE thread standard.

You want one of these gauges:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=gauge%20pitch&PN=threading_accessories.html#aPG_2e_2e

Cheap ones on ebay also I expect. Its a tool that does not need to be in perfect condition.

I don't know how many TPI they are, and I disagree with Stuart at my peril but I think they are 1/4 UNF.

UNC threads are used for the cast iron block.

Rgds Ian

Wrong.

Stuart was saying that the ebay items in Tom's post were UNC We all agree that UNF is correct for the TR's

Bob.

I am fitting the rear wing back on and there was only one bolt in the short vertical strip under the back light. I can re use that fixing but the other two are missing and the thickness of the rivet head will be covered by the chrome strip.

Where can I get some retaining strips for the chrome cover strip that will not rust? Maybe this is too much to ask. I am very glad that I used stainless bolts to hold the wing on because they came undone very easily. I can now prove that Copper grease lasts over ten years.

thanks for all the help.

Richard & H.