Bonnet safety catch spring

All

Good afternoon

I managed to get my '6' through the MOT (hoorah), but, not at my local, helpful, friendly, garage, unfortunately.

I have discovered today that, in the process, of completing the MOT, the bonnet safety catch has been bent and the spring has disappeared.

Does anyone know where I can source a replacement spring?

The catch assembly is 710592 (Rimmer) or 619580 (Moss)

I would prefer to just buy a spring, if they are available

Attached is a picture of the reshaped catch, in situ

Many thanks in advance

Edited by wjgco

Thanks, I will try the TR shop now.

Judging from your photo Andrew, I already have a repro catch fitted.

If I have to go down the replacement catch route, is a 2nd hand original the way to go?

Assuming I can find on of course

Rod

They don't have a 2nd hand (or new) spring, but have promised to spend some time trying to hunt down a spring or a decent 2nd hand original catch assembly. Seemed like good blokes.

Problem is, I bet that spring is still manufactured and in use . . . . . . somewhere, it's a simple enough thing.

The challenge is finding the part number

Mark

I'm 99% sure that is when it happened, but, proving it is something else, unless, or course, I can find the spring on the fofloor of their MOT bay

If you do have to buy a new one then tap the pin that holds the arm out of the bracket (They are that badly fitted it wont take more than a wiggle for it to fall out!) then drill and tap the centre of the pin to 10/32 UNFand refit with a bolt then you will have no more problems.

Stuart.

If you do have to buy a new one then tap the pin that holds the arm out of the bracket (They are that badly fitted it wont take more than a wiggle for it to fall out!) then drill and tap the centre of the pin to 10/32 UNFand refit with a bolt then you will have no more problems.

Stuart.

Why should we have to do that?

The roadsters factory are showing it as a spare part , no619583.

If they are available you could take Don Hiscock up on his offer of small parts courier service when he comes over in May.

You may be lucky and pick up a nos one complete.

Mark

Mark

Nil stock bu99er!

Could I ask if someone could take some pictures of the spring I need please?

I think I know a man who may know a man, who might be able to find a replacement, based on some good pictures

If it works out I will be asking where on the register web site I can put the info

Wish me luck

Mark

Nil stock bu99er!

Could I ask if someone could take some pictures of the spring I need please?

Here you go John, this is a replated original (complete with a stress crack!)...........let me know if you need anything else.

11081269_10204243502342936_3329804455507

1509778_10204243502382937_67604229935780

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Why should we have to do that?

Because the pin isnt peened over enough to stand much stress, especially from ham fisted people who dont realise its there and try yanking the bonnet open after its popped. I do it on all of the new ones I fit now.

Stuart.

Hi all!

As Andrew Smith's photo clearly shows those 2 asterisks on the bonnet latch, which my car has as well, I believe are a Trade Mark. Does anyone know who was the OEM for that part? It maybe that Mini Spares or the MGOC are buying from the original supplier to BL.?

Bruce

Andrew

Thanks for the pictures, they are going out later today, with as much dimensional detail as I can work out from the catch in my car

Clive

Thanks for looking and thanks for the details

Stuart

Noted thanks. I'll do the mod as soon as I get a spring

My catch does not have the marks being discussed, so, a repro I reckon.

Gents

Just spoken with the man who knows a man

He can get me a spring (will need modifying), but, I need the diameter of the spring wire

Can anyone help?

Thanks all

Wire dia forwarded to the man

Result promised before the end of the week

Tony

The phone number is greatly appreciated and is squirreled away safe.

I will make a call, irrespective of the result of my attempts, as a spare would be useful

Edited by wjgco