Can I use a CR headlamp switch stalk on a CP car?

Hi

Does anyone know if I can replace the headlamp switch stalk (with pull to flash function) on a CP car directly with the switch stalk from a CR car, removing the need to have the main beam foot switch, or is life not that simple?

I have Halogen lights with relays, so current through the switch is not an issue.

Many Thanks

Steve

No it is not a direct fit. As you have noted the CR is a two posn dip/main stalk sw , with the lamps off/sides/heads control sw on the dash.

Whereas your existing CP is Off/sides/heads control switch stalk on the steering col with a second switch on the floor for dip/main.

The floor switch of the CP is the steering col stalk switch of a CR.

The steering Col sw on the CP is the same function as the dash sw on a CR

The flash function is available on both CP and CR stalk sw.

It can be done but you will need to do a lot of rewiring to route the existing light control switch wiring of a CP to the layout of the CR. Plus adding a 3 posn lamp control sw somewhere you can get at when driving. Take out the instrument dimmer perhaps?

Cheers

Peter W

Could use an overdrive switch on the other side of the steering column, as a main dip beam switch. Simple effective and would work with a little rewiring, and thought about it

Cheers

Steve

Where is the 'Archive' section of TRaction?

I have trawled through the CD's from 1990 to No.200 in 2005 without any success. Maybe the article was published since 2005 but I can't find any archive section on the website.

I've been thinking of modding the lighting switchgear on my CP, not so much to get rid of the floor dipswitch, but to operate the wipers and washers from a steering column stalk, so this article would be of interest to me.

Cheers,

Deryck

OK, I'm no longer a member, having sold my TR6 several years ago but I assumed there would be an Archive section, sorry about that. However I took a photocopy of this article which is in front of me now.

It was penned by a Roger Mew and printed in Technicalities, unfortunately the date is not visible on my photocopy, and yes it was later than 2005.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

TR6man42

Thank you all for your replies - I hadn't realised that the CR car used a switch on the dash as well as the stalk switch (and I have overdrive, so that stalk is in use!), so I will probably live with the floor switch for the moment, as enough other little projects to keep me going over the winter...

Cheers

Steve

Where is the 'Archive' section of TRaction?

I have trawled through the CD's from 1990 to No.200 in 2005 without any success. Maybe the article was published since 2005 but I can't find any archive section on the website.

I've been thinking of modding the lighting switchgear on my CP, not so much to get rid of the floor dipswitch, but to operate the wipers and washers from a steering column stalk, so this article would be of interest to me.

Cheers,

Deryck

If you want to get all the functions of a modern i.e. headlamp dip/full/flash and wiper/washers on the column then the stalk setup from a MK2 on Mini or similar from the Leyland range will do the trick, you may have to custom make a cowl for it but it is do-able.

Stuart.

Hi Deryck,

To get rid of the foot operated dip switch on my 4A I designed a circuit that uses the flash function on the column switch.

By using a microcontroller, I switch from Dip to Mainbeam by holding the flasher on for more than 0.8 seconds (less than that and it just flashes as normal)

To switch back to Dip I just need to pull the flasher switch briefly.

If this is of interest, let me know and I'll dig out the details.

Thanks Stuart and Tony for replies.

Stuart's suggestion seems like the sort of solution I had been looking for. As i currently have my overdrive stalk modified to momentary operation to work my logic controller (one of John Wells' excellent units) I have been looking for something that would retain this feature.

The route I had been exploring was to obtain a Spitfire 1500 top column assembly complete with switches and cowls, thinking that this would mate up with the TR6 lower column assembly. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

I would then use the Spitfire horn push on the end of the stalk to operate the overdrive, and retain my existing horn button in the centre of the steering wheel. The clever bit would be in fitting the horn brush ring to the spitfire column. I have not yet managed to get hold of the spitfire bits to see if this is possible.

Has anybody tried this?

Deryck

Using a Spit 1500 column will work. The Spit steering column is something like 6 inches longer than the TR6. You'll need to obviously do some rewiring work. The Steering wheel from your TR6 will be useless, as the Spit has a much fatter shaft. Also you will have a steering lock/ ignition switch further up, rather than the dangle between your legs on later CP models, or in the centre consile in early models so all depends on what you have got. The only downside with the Spit 1500 column is that is looks very ugly in a TR6. Easy enough to get hold of one from Spitfire Graveyard Sheffield

Cheers

Steve

FWIW, there was an article in the winter 2010 issue of the 6pack magazine about eliminating the floor mounted dimmer switch used on the early cars.

A latching relay used on VWs was wired to the high beam flash switch. The relay was an Echlin AR284 (don't if they are sold in the UK). A wiring diagram was shown, if anyone is interested.

Berry

Thanks to Steved69tr6, I think you've answered my questions.

It seems there would be more modification required than I wanted to carry out, but I think the main offput is the comment about teir being ugly in a 6. That was one of my concerns about the Spitfire boxy shaped cowlings.

I will look into Stuart's suggestion re Mini switches, and make my own cowlings, or the alternative is to bite the Revington bullet, and use their upgrade which comes with TR6 shaped cowls.

Many thanks,

Deryck

The part your looking for is 152616 Rimmer Bros do it,

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005829

A light switch for the early Spit 1500 Models and CR TR6's the switch is a side lights, main beam and dip beam all in one. I knew I'd seen something somewhere before now

It'll be a straight swap with some re wiring from the floor mount switch to the column switch

cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi Neil,

Did you ever find what this switch was? Could it have been a Dolomite/Stag switch?

I would be interested if you find out.

Cheers

Graeme

Hi all

I believe it's from a Rover 3Ltr - a Lucas part - 3 wire stalk switch, almost identical in size to the overdrive switch. You need to fit another steering cowl to the left hand side, then make a loom up and feed through to the existing foot/dip switch. Then just connect to the existing wires running to the foot switch. You then have a column switch for the dip, just like an overdrive switch (it's a bit shorter) but on the opposite side. The trouble is, these switches are like hens teeth. I guess though, someone could modify and existing overdrive switch from 2 wire to 3 wires ??

Best Bill

• 2 weeks later...