Hi Folks,

this is nearly car related.

I'm going fishing on Monday so yesterday I got my tackle out :blink: .

The tackle box got squashed at sometime so off to B&Q for a new tooltacklebox - £9

The rods/handles/supports tend to be juggled from car to peg. So I decided to make a rod tube (similar to a plumbers roofrack tube for keeping the copper pipe in).

The tube is easy - off to wickes for a 68mm down pipe. £5

However the ends need caps to stop things falling out.

No Problem - cut out two 100mm discs in 1mm mild steel sheet. Turn up a former to 69mm and spin the sheet into a pair of beautiful cups. £0

They fit on the end of the tube perfectly.

I chose 69mm as that is very slightly bigger than the nominal 68mm that the tube should be.

If 69mm would have been too big I could have turned it down further and carried on spinning the cups a little more - ideal.

So if your car project needs a cup and you have a lathe consider spinning. Hub caps; too easy.

Roger

So Roger, What happens when you go over a speedo bump and your engine stops, the caps fall off your tube and your tackle falls out.

I suppose that you could use a funny green hat as a disguise and frighten the fish, If you had a funny green hat that is.

I've got a number of "custom" parts orders for you, Roger. Do you need a full engineering drawing (which I'm never going to have) or will a vague description of what I'm trying to achieve plus a couple of relevant measurements do?

Come on, say it's ok....!!