FLIR ONE™ infrared camera accessory for iPhone 5/5S -- neat!

I just got my FLIR ONE™ infrared camera thingie for my iPhone. This new accessory is going to get used in a number of ways, both work and personal. Chasing heat loss in the house will be an important project around the home. This is gonna be fun to work with.

The FLIR ONE is described HERE. It ain't cheap -- about £210 -- but it appears to be a well-designed piece of kit from a company who specializes in IR cameras.

Here's the engine on my car about two hours after getting home from a drive. There are a number of imaging modes on the camera, shown here in order of "iron", "rainbow", and "grey". There are some other ones not shown in these examples.

i-hxvZRjT-XL.jpg

i-zSDPsh3-XL.jpg

i-zGgmZbr-XL.jpg

The images above are 526 x 395 px (0.2 MP, 4:3), for about a 100kB jpeg file. Not terribly high resolution, but probably enough for anything I'm planning to do with it.

I've got a picture of Concorde taking off, similar to that.

I guess the £210 price tag rules it out for us (err I mean those) pervs out there.

Damn

Roger I would love to have a photo of that....

...I'll see what I can do.

I think you already have the photo of the Concorde, Harry. Roger gave us a copy via his attachment. Isn't it simply a matter of saving the (very cool) image to a storage device, like a USB stick, and taking it to your nearest place that does photos? You can probably do it via email, and have a choice of all kinds of sizes.

Hi Don,

Su'e just said the same to me.

Interesting that the device is not available outside the US at present.

At British Airways if we wanted to buy any IR equipment from the States we had to sign our life away lest we give the technology to the Ruskies.

I always thought we invented the technology - perhaps not.

Roger

The device has *just* come onto the market this week, Roger. I was on an early notification list based on interest expressed almost a year ago.

Some folks are concerned that it's iPhone 5/5S based, and there'll soon be an iPhone 6. That's fine by me -- I'll keep my 5S for use with the instrument. Did the same thing with an old iPhone 4 as the XM satellite radio receiver in my pickup.

Don, Ill take a pic of my car, email it to you and let you test it with your gadget

Doh :wacko:

Don, Ill take a pic of my car, email it to you and let you test it with your gadget

Happy to help, Austin --

There have been some posts on other forums that depending on the clothing one wears, this kind of technology may create some... ummm... "privacy" issues.

I haven't tested that yet. We'll wait for Roger and his white-coat work.

I once visited a "certain establishment" where they made such things and I was shown a single crystal which had been grown to enormous size and ground to a lens for an IR detector. It was humongous in size, weight and cost.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Don,

Su'e just said the same to me.

Interesting that the device is not available outside the US at present.

At British Airways if we wanted to buy any IR equipment from the States we had to sign our life away lest we give the technology to the Ruskies.

I always thought we invented the technology - perhaps not.

Roger

In the '60s Soviet image intensification- used for low-light vision at visible wavelengths - was vastly better than in the west. Their was a concern that their satellites could track the bioluminescent wake from ships and, worse, subs. So the US Navy put money into research in bioluminescence hoping to find ways of stopping it. Result: a Nobel prize for Osamu Shimomura and others:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2008/shimomura-lecture.html

The Navy never got its cure. But cell biology aquired a hugely versatile set of cell-imaging tools.

Peter