1972 Pi starting problem. AAArgh

Hi, I've been having a problem with my '72 CP fuel injected TR6.

It starts reasonably from cold, after a bit of turning over and after 10 mins if I say have nipped into a shop and get back it is ok.

the problem is after leaving the car an hour or so, if I start it, it almost catches on first turn of key but doesn't and then I have to turn it over for up to a minute with no joy. The battery gives up first.

I put a brand new 80ah battery on it today and it finally, but very reluctantly started. it has got to the stage I don't like driving it for this reason.

Any ideas? steve.

It could be flooding. In hot weather, and if the engine is hot, dont use the choke - unless if fails to start after a few seconds.

There are other possibilities- vapour lock in the injector hoses over a hot engine left to stand. Open the bonnet and let cooler air in.

Try different fuel. The higher RON stuff may be better behaved that supermarket stuff. Not because of RON itself, but because I suspect butane content of cheap fuels is high. But I cant prove it as the oil co recipes are secret, as long as they comply with the BS.

Hi, just went out to the car and as always not starting.

Took injectors out of their holes and there was no fuel at all coming out of them? Does that suggest pressure too low to inject the fuel?

I pulled on the injector nozzles and a bit of a fuel came out of each? Am I getting any closer to a cure?

From what you say it sounds to me that the PRV is set at the low end of what will work, try raising the pressure slightly(best done with a pressure gauge kit if you can get one) but can just be done incrementally and another trick to starting Pi engines is to turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds as the fuel pressure builds up (you can usually hear the change in the noise from the fuel pump) and then start cranking.

When cold pull the choke right out, and then progressively back as soon as the engine will run smoothly, when hot no choke, just hold the throttle down between 1/3 and 1/2 as you crank until the engine catches but do wait for the fuel pressure to build up first.

Cheers Rob

Hi Steve

Obviously there are starting issues associated with the PI system, probably.

But you also seem to have an issue with the starter quickly flattening the battery.

This is quite common with the original starter, it's an old design and also 40 years old.... So a recon starter or a modern replacement might be a good idea.

There are list of threads on here about setting up the PI, or just contact Neil Ferguson who has worked wonders for many at very reasonable cost.

Hth

Steve

Hi, just went out to the car and as always not starting.

Took injectors out of their holes and there was no fuel at all coming out of them? Does that suggest pressure too low to inject the fuel?

I pulled on the injector nozzles and a bit of a fuel came out of each? Am I getting any closer to a cure?

You did check an injector with the starter turning the engine? An injector should give one squirt per two revolutions, so the engine has to be turning on the starter, not just with the ignition on. !!>> Watch out for fire - direct fuel spray into a bottle, never towards the disy, and have extinguisher to hand.Ideally dont do it in the garage either.

If you did the test correctly and there's no spray then there is a PI fault.

If the correct test shows fuel sprays then forget checking the PI until you've checked the spark timing. The points can close up remarkably quickly to the point where it wont start.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Steve,

You don't say if you are new to the TR6, but in case you are - in general yes PI can have its foibles, but once setup well it can be very reliable too.

You certainly should not have significant hot starting trouble as you've described, so something is wrong.

As others have said, I think it could well be that the pump pressure at the PRV is set just a little low. If you haven't got a test pressure gauge and a T-piece to install it on the inlet to the MU, then I highly recommend it. Since I got one I've learnt a lot about the PI and correct pressure (both static running/reving, and also whilst driving under load ) are key.

the parts for a test gauge are mentioned on other posts here, should only be around £25-£35 complete.

So I'd check this, and also as Peter said worth checking the ignition over to eliminate as well.

Lastly, the comment about stainless injector hoses also seems to crop here on the forum. I don't have experience myself but others suggest that they do have issues with heat-soak when a hot engine is tried to re-start after a stop. However I think that's only 10sec of churning to clear the petrol vapour not up to a minute.

By the way, I would not recommend churning on the starter for more than say 15-20 seconds at a time. As they're designed for intermittent use, starter motors have no cooling fan so prolonged use can overheat and damage them.

Hope this and the other comments help resolve your problem.

good luck.

J.

came to the car this evening after being laid up all day. all injectors squirted instantly. I let the pressure build up and all is well (one of the 6 was dribbling a touch but I have a spare)

What stops the injectors injecting when engine is hot up and left for half an hour????? but then behaves the following mornig

Fuel vaporisation is a possible cause of that symptom and Phil asked a few posts ago if you have stainless braided injector hoses. Do you? I had this problem in my 6 and reverted to standard nylon pipes with no further problems.

Vapour lock wherever the fuel is getting too hot.

Hoses from MU - stainless braids are suspected by some.

Then in boot: Pump having to provide 'suck' to pull fuel up from tank, or through too-small filter. Clogged filter.

Cr*p fuel.

Exhaust pipe too close to fuel pipe in chassis cruciform.

Too hot weather ( but dont complain).

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Had similar and traced it to a blocked filter, which in turn was caused by a disintegrating tank!

thought I'd mentioned the pipes, sorry, they are the standard non braided ones, ignition is lumenition electronic, so points not an issue.

Left car outside for a couple of hours and tried starting! had to push it in the garage as usual!!!!!

Will replace filter and check fuel pipes tomorrow.

Bad Car!

Vapour lock wherever the fuel is getting too hot.

Clogged filter.

add to Peters list - blocked fuel tank breather. Try popping the fuel filler cap when hot. If you hear a hiss, and the car then starts, your fuel tank breather is blocked and/or restricted.

Check the fuel pressure, 104 psi at the metering unit. If it's low when running it'll be even lower during cranking. Check the integrity of the wiring from supply, through the inertia switch and back to the pump, also the pump earth.

Lucas or Bosch pump?

I haven't noticed any difference in tone hot or cold, I also don't hear ant change in tone as the pressure builds.

That doesnt sound to me like vapour lock due to clogged filter or anything else wrong before the pump.

Try giving the Pressure Relief Valve a thump next time it fails to start. If the PRV stuck part-open at switch-off it might kill injector squirting when starting hot. Maybe.

If the shuttle stops shuttling in an MU that has heated up while standing (with engine hot) that would kill the injector squirts, even with normal fuel pressure. How old is the MU?

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Steve,

Re your post #20, it seems odd that you don't notice any change in the Lucas pump pitch at switch on. assuming you have the original brass PRV, then there is a clever system in it that allows air/vapour to bleed through but then closes up when liquid fuel and pressure builds up.

Hence on 'normal' switch on you should hear the pump run fast / high pitch for say around a second, then it should slow down significantly as it come up to pressure and the pump goes on-load.

So I'd still suggest you check out the system pressure as from the problems you describe it sounds to me like the system might be vapour locking and hence not getting to pressure when hot.

Thinking about it, another thing to check is could there be a blockage in the leak-off line from the PRV back to the fuel tank? This would have the same effect.

So question on this is when the pump is running can you hear the leak-off fuel returning back into the fuel tank when listening from the fuel filler? (This is assuming that the leak off is returning to the top of the tank, and its not a new tank with an internal pipe returning fuel to a swirl pot in the base of the tank.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

cheers,

J.

I know I sound like a cracked record but there's no point in embarking upon a potentially lengthy poke and hope exercise unless you know that the pump and PRV are delivering the correct pressure at the MU at all times. Unless you find a wire that's dropped off that is.

Steve, where are you? Have you spoken to Raven Smith ? It's only that I have a pressure test kit to prove you have the right pressure at the MU.