Bought some smooth the other day.....not bought any for a few years.....it's as thin as cat' p**s and doesn't cover as I remember...also not branded as Finnigans.......has the EU got at it?

Don't know about that, but firmly believe rustoleum to be a far superior product, thick and satisfying.

Bob.

Hi Dick, not sure how thin cats p,,s is but yes you are right,it has certainly changed,

It runs very easily and is not as easy to use as it was....shame.

I have moved onto gloss or satin black spray paint from the local motor factors.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Yes, legislation has almost certainly got at it. Hammerite thinners used to be trike, also known as trichlorethylene 1:1:1 and that is firmly in the to hot to handle category so I guess the current stuff has been de-toxed.

Rgds Ian

I find that Hammerite in a spray can takes a very long time to dry properly, at least two to three days, and that's if it's warm. It also needs to be applied in extremely light coats to avoid runs. Think I'll be looking for an alternative next time I have to do some painting.

Steve

mmm, i bought some silver hammerite to do the wood bits on the back door of a trailer and its like sludge - so thick that a brush is near useless after two strokes - also never seems to dry

maybe they are experimenting with consistency til they get it right again !

I once hand-painted a whole car, a Riley 1.5, with Hammerite bronze and black.

It would seem to me that the consistency of the spraypaint would necessarily be

thinner to get it to spray. And that, with the current warm weather, the paint in the tins

for hand-painting would seem thinner ?

I once hand-painted a whole car, a Riley 1.5, with Hammerite bronze and black.

Silver Smoothrite for the 6, two coats, two days. Wasted time tweezering out the loosened brush hairs, and flies.

Has kept the rust off for 20 years, no problem. And never needs polishing.

And it looks fine

from a distance

about 1/2 mile.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks Pete

The blower is a bit special - if a bit too big - but best I could afford at the time.

But the paint was cheeeap and quick - I was working at the time.

But I fear we are in a minority !!

Peter

Agree. Hammerite spray seems to have lost most of it's pigment, it takes many coats to get a solid colour, whereas it used to only take 1 or 2.

Hammerite smooth (in a tin) is also not as good as it was for covering in one coat, & more inclined to run if you over do it.

I now use Rustolium "Stove & BBQ paint" for matt finishes (silver on the exhaust & Inlet manifolds), or black followed by Rustolium black gloss for gloss finishes (suspension etc). B & Q do it, which is handy

Bob.