Uprated rear hubs, advice please?

Hi All

I have owned a TR6 for about 5 years now and have had to replace 3 rear hubs in that time. Just bought a TR5 and the back suspension is in need of some attention. Both hubs have excessive play and so here we go again. As I plan to hang on to the car I am seriously considering splashing out on uprated hubs as sold by TR enterprises, Racetorations and others.

Can anyone recommend, or have experience of any of these options and are they worth the investment? Are they a straight swap, and do they alter the handling much?

Any opinions for or against much appreciated, and which ones to go for. Fast road use.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, had a pair of the Moss/TRNord shafts and uprated hubs for a couple of years now, ..... fit and forget!! a very worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers Rob

Me too.....super quality...... get the CV joints too whilst you are at it........... forget the sliding splines.

The uprated hub assemblies with CV joints are very nice but also expensive. The original assemblies will last a good 50K miles if refurbished with care. I did not like the quality of some of the commercially available refurbished hubs so now I do my own.

Not too difficult if you don't mind doing some welding to build a robust tool to separate the assembly without damaging the wheel mounting flange. Got details and pictures if anyone is interested.

Phil

There are loads of posts on the forums about this very topic. I went for the Richard Good ones. Just put "uprated drive shaft" into the search window above and you'll see lots of comparisons.

The uprated hub assemblies with CV joints are very nice but also expensive. The original assemblies will last a good 50K miles if refurbished with care. I did not like the quality of some of the commercially available refurbished hubs so now I do my own.

Not too difficult if you don't mind doing some welding to build a robust tool to separate the assembly without damaging the wheel mounting flange. Got details and pictures if anyone is interested.

Phil

Thats OK but you do really need to get the stub axle crack checked as well.

Stuart.

Hi Tim,

I have used the TRE / RCT items (Cosworth shafts & Quaife hubs) withoit complaint. Pretty much fit and forget. Currrent TR6 has the CV type with uprated hubs that came from the USA, whilst working out there. (Richard Good). Both are excellent quaility and engineering. Both used in anger on track / Europe without any issued.

Richard Good's web site:-

http://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=20

Cheers.

Stuart

As an aside to this rear hub subject the crack testing of old mechanical components on our cars is interesting and worth having a debate about. Personally I think it important that we do not get too excited unless there is at least some established history of trouble with the particular part in question.

There are lots of other old components on our cars which could fail with similar or worse effects than rear hub failure - here are a few examples:-

• The weld between the brake pedal and the master cylinder link (bet that was never x-ray inspected!)
  • The six 1/4 unf studs which hold the rear hub in place and originally are tapped into the dodgy aluminium of the trailing arm (has everyone helicoiled them?).
  • The front stub axle - vulnerable, as is the rear one, to snapping except this time you would lose the front wheel instead.
  • Steering rack input shaft - gets plenty of shock load especially when solid mounts are used.

-----I could go on.

But seriously is there really a documented history of rear hub shafts failing because of cracking? If there is I think we should give it wide publicity within the Register so that we all know where we stand. It would certainly encourage me to get the plastic out and purchase some uprated cv joint shafts. Also, could our insurers challenge a claim if it resulted from catastrophic failure of a safety related component known to have a history of cracking. Like I said its worthy of a debate.

Phil

It's certainly not a myth http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=v9Vkqp4tFEEC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=failure+triumph+rear+hubs&source=bl&ots=VX0baZzwml&sig=mUZY6b2uwDz06pCwg2RW6UVJMIg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vBCmUtnCNeie7Abrm4CoDg&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=failure%20triumph%20rear%20hubs&f=false

As already stated they are distributed by Moss and others in the UK, no need for the hassle/expense of importing from USA, the cost will be forgotten soon after they are fitted, the reassurance they give is priceless.

Tim,

I got mine from http://www.csb-zeller.de/kontakt.php. I believe that he got them from the US and they are the same as the Good Parts ones, see at the end of:

http://www.csb-zeller.de/news/news1/untermenu1/2745769eb01359a48/radlagereinheiten.pdf.

I got a pair 3 years ago for 712 Euros including postage to Belgium. His website is always out of date so you should contact him, in English, if he still does them.

Stan

Edited by smizgals