I have been thinking about fitting a locking fuel cap to my TR3A. I'm posting in the general Technical Chat forum as I imagine similar questions and restrictions apply to the whole TR2-6 range (plus derivatives).

At first I thought it might be possible to fit some sort of locking cap below the standard TR cap for outward originality, but suspect this is a non-TRivial solution. So, I am wondering if anyone has fitted one of these Aston or Monza locking caps:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=21538&SortOrder=4

Any advice regarding venting, sizes and any modifications to existing tank to cap pipes would be appreciated, as would photos.

Hi Brian ~

Yes, I fitted an Aston locking cap to my 3A. I bought a Mini Cooper dummy fuel petrol tank 'neck'.

(Mini owners fit these to simulate dual fuel tanks!)

I removed the bottom flange and the extension neck fits perfectly in the rubber pipe of the tank.

I had to weld a short extension to the 'neck' to make it longer.

It also fits in the rubber grommet in the bodywork.

I have to say that the Aston cap really looks the part ~ much 'racier' than the standard cap

and, of course, lockable.

Tom.

On the 6 the cap can be locked by preventing the release tab from lifting. Drill through the cap horizontally above the tab and fit a long padlock. Not pretty but kept the L8 scallies at bay !

let me know if you come up with an option that involves no welding (I reckon I'm worse at that than electricamagicianery)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

A certain Walter Seidel (credits to him) described in a German forum (www.tr-freunde.de) a very smart and fully reversible alternative to the external cap locks, based on machining a sort of plug and using a lock (similar to the one in our glovebox lid).

See the attached pictures. There is a sketch with legend in German, but the idea is hopefully easy to understand (I can translate if you ask me to).

Jesús

post-2902-0-10252000-1386058007_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-47043800-1386058018_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-09012200-1386058035_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-10252000-1386058007_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-47043800-1386058018_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-09012200-1386058035_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Yes, the yellow part is really the plug, and the mauve lock is permanently fixed on that plug. For opening, you would insert and turn the key, and draw upwards the complete assembly (mauve plus yellow parts). The first photo shows this ensemble removed from the tank neck.

Before somebody rushes to fabricate such a device, two important notes:

- a venting hole should be drilled across the bottom of the plug

- a water resistant lock would be more durable

Jesus

Hello,

A certain Walter Seidel (credits to him) described in a German forum (www.tr-freunde.de) a very smart and fully reversible alternative to the external cap locks, based on machining a sort of plug and using a lock (similar to the one in our glovebox lid).

See the attached pictures. There is a sketch with legend in German, but the idea is hopefully easy to understand (I can translate if you ask me to).

Jesús

Thanks for that Jesús

That is just so simple - anyone got a lathe to turn up a few plugs? Could be a nice little earner.

Maybe I can find a suitable flanged pipe fitting at a plumbing supplier.

If you are not wedded to a flip top cap the original Triumph item pt no 571086 is a goer. It is bayonet fitting not flip up as they have described.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=13939&SortOrder=6

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Jesus

Is that hole in the top of the second picture the vent hole you mention? it is less clear in the first picture. Anyway, why do you need a vent, when the tank has a vent/overflow pipe fitted.Secondly, as you say the yellow bit comes out as well then as the garage pump nozzle is much smaller in diameter than our filler pipe, it gives a natural vent as you fill up, never had a blow back whilst the pump attendant is filling up.

Dave

Dave,

You are right, of course.

My comment on the vent hole was an unreflective transcription of the original information in German. Perhaps this idea comes from another application, where the tank has no other venting system, and the cap must be vented (like in MG T series). Even in those cases, the vent hole should do nothing when filling up the tank, since it goes with the yellow plug that must be removed.

Incidentally, I have looked at the original filler pipe in my TR3A, and the real dimensions would make the application of this system a little tricky. The filler neck is long and narrow. The yellow plug should be very deep, so that the lock slider is able to latch at the lower rim of the filler pipe. But, since it must be also narrow, the lock would be placed deep in the bottom of the plug and using the key would be difficult. One solution would be to use a lock with a cranked slider that would allow the lock to be placed farther up from the pipe rim.

I am now attaching a new photo of such a device in a TR2 or TR3 tank cap, which demonstrates that it can be done (incidentally, you will see the venting hole, again….)

Jesus

post-2902-0-93347100-1386233401_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-93347100-1386233401_thumb.jpg

Hi Jesus

All what you mention did occur to me, as I thought that was not taken in a Triumph TR car.

Your latest photo I think is the one in your car, so the question is, WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

Dave

Dave,

That photo was posted in the same German forum (the filler pipe in my car is much nicer <_< …and the cap is correctly installed).

I do not have a lock in my car (you know my car is very little time on the road…). However, I am considering making one for fun…. I would report if I succeed.

Jesus

Edited by jbenajes