Drive shaft spline damage

Do i really need to spend circa £500-1000 on a pair of hubs?
Steve

Or do you need a broken rear stub axle shaft ?? as is happening on a few elderly ones now.

ROY

Edited by roy53

Hi Steve,

Just to clarify, the uprated hubs (just the hubs, no drive shafts) from Goodparts were USD349.00 each, plus postage to Australia which was around 60 bucks.

There was no duty or sales tax payable here in Oz; not sure what the situation would be shipping them to the UK?

Cheers,

John

In the UK it would be plus postage plus import duty and then 20% Vat on the total of all including purchase price.

Stuart.

Thanks for the updates.

I have decided that i do want to replace the hubs when i fit the new drive shafts from Proptech.

I like the Richard Good ones but getting them shipped from the US sounds problematic/expensive.

i saw these on ebay, they seem to have been on there for a while, what do we think ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stag-TR4A-TR5-TR6-2000-2500-pair-of-new-uprated-rear-hubs-/350937378131?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ATR+6&hash=item51b57f6d53

regards

steve

If you plan on using your car for 'normal' road use - so no track days or racing - and you're not going hog wild on suspension mods (lowering, wider tires, larger diameter front sway bar and adding rear sway bar), why not just have your rear hubs rebuilt. Have them magnifluxed to make sure there's no micro fractures or cracks and if they pass all will be well.

I'm not debating the seriousness of a failed hub, but there really hasn't been a rash of failures of these parts 'recently'. There have been serious failures on tracked cars, and in the official 'competition preparation manual' from Triumph, the hubs are called out for replacement with an upgraded part if tracked due to the very high stresses on them compared to a road car. The only road cars I've read abou was on a car riding on older hubs and I also remember a case of a recently rebuilt one failing, but they had not magnifluxed it for cracks and so they used a bad core (I believe it was determined post crash that the hub was indeed cracked).

Just an alternative opinion.

Regarding the HRS hubs on e bay, Tony Hart has a very good pedigree based upon racing a Triumph Stag probably with updated items such as these. Personally I should have no reservations about buying and using such items, and Tony Hart has an excellent reputation for back up with items he sells.

No connection with HRS other than as a satisfied customer, and just expressing my opinion.

Mick Richards

The Magnaflux process is Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI). This can be black ink on white back ground that works OK or Fluorescent Ink in a blackened booth with UVa lighting.

It needs a magnetic field to make it perform.

The FMPI is very good - when done properly. Most garages probably haven't a clue and would not be qualified MPI testers.

I have got one horror story that keeps me nice and worried.

Roger

Thanks for the additional information Yankee, Mike and Rodger.

My car does have rear Sway Bar, LSD, 195 tyres, and moderately tuned engine which I do like to exploit!

I would like the option to do 1 or 2 track days in the car, nothing more than that.

All in all I would like the comfort of at least 'new' hubs.

Hmmmm

I have fitted my TR4A with Racetoration Cosworth hubs and Proptech shafts. Gives great peace of mind when cornering hard. :D

Cheers

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

All

Better late than never I hope! Thank you to all who replied to my initial message on this thread re spline damage to the drive shafts. The weight of opinion seems to be in favour of deliberate damage in the past and to replace with Proptech items. I guess you have confirmed my gut feel re the damage - I just didnt want to believe it myself initially, so thanks for that. What I didnt say was that having acquired the car in 2010, taken it off the road in the intervening period to replace suspension bushes and upgrade the brakes and been distracted by work pressures in the meantime so I have had little chance to drive the car. My plan was always to get it on the road for a summer to 'get to know it' before embarking on a body off restoration. So....despite your recommendations to replace the shafts I have recently got the car back on the road with the existing driveshafts which I intend to replace as part of the bigger project. Currently there are no apparent problems - watch this space!

Apologies for the time it has taken to reply as since I started the thread, I have also had to fine time for a total knee replacemen op, which 'kneed'less to say has been a bit of a distraction.

So I'm now back on track to start 2014 with the car taxed, MoTd and back on the road for the shakedown period. The only fly in the ointment is I need to be able to bend my new knee sufficiently to get in the car! :unsure:

Once again, many thanks for all contributions, all useful and appreciated. Will follow up next year when the new shafts are in place.

Have a great Xmas and 2014

David

Good luck with the Knee recuperation, and 'testing' the TR6 David , oh and Happy Christmas to you too !