TR5 Original Steel Wheels

I am planning to re-commission a set of original 4.5" TR5/TR250 wheels. Like most second hand wheels, they have been painted at some time and are various shades of silver, although the inner rim surface and the rear of one wheel are more of a brown primer colour. Does anybody know what colour these rims would have been ex-factory ? My inclination is to assume that silver would be correct but since the entire rim would have been "unseen" once the correct wheel trims were in place, I suppose it is possible that Triumph might have left them effectively unpainted. Any advice gratefully received, thanks, Matthew

Hi Mathew. i have been thinking of going the same route with my re build wheels...i will be interested to see what answers you receive,

Good luck,

Conrad,

Hi Matthew,

I obtained a complete set of steel wheels from a one owner TR5 - he converted the car to wires very soon after purchasing the car.

All the wheels are stamped Sankey 4.5J x 15H in the base of the rim well and finished in a dark primer all over.

I assumed the same as you, as they were to be covered by the Rostyle trim that is why they were left in a primer finish.

Regards, Richard

Hi Matthew,

I obtained a complete set of steel wheels from a one owner TR5 - he converted the car to wires very soon after purchasing the car.

All the wheels are stamped Sankey 4.5J x 15H in the base of the rim well and finished in a dark primer all over.

I assumed the same as you, as they were to be covered by the Rostyle trim that is why they were left in a primer finish.

Regards, Richard

Hi Matthew,

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard - so is the colour of the dark primer finish the same as or similar to the brown primer that Triumph / Leyland body parts were supplied in ?

Rgds

Matthew

Hi all,

as far as I learned the 5 should have 5" wheels and the early 6 should have 5.5" wheels.

Best regards

Sugar

Not my understanding - I believe all TR5/TR250s had 4.5" wheels, and TR6s 5.5". I suppose it's possible that the switch from 4.5" to 5.5" occurred before the change of model as they are definitely interchangeable, and tyre size the same. I do not believe there was ever a 5.0" wheel used as original equipment

Rgds

Matthew

Hi all,

so the Robson "A collctors guide", the Piggot "Triumph TR" and the 1991 Moss catalogue speak about 5 inch wheels for the 5/250. Mattew and Richard, do Your wheels have the long studs? The six had 5.5" wheels for sure, got 8 of them. I saw a spare wheel in a brown shade some years ago. Lookes original to me. Deeply interesting theme in lousy wether conditions.

Regards

Sugar

The dark brown primer was a standard GKN Sankey as opposed to Triumph finish.

5" rims certainly existed, but were uncommon and perhaps fitted only to very late TR5s and possibly some early 6s. Ex-dealer parts books sometimes have hand written annotations relating to rim sizes, as evidently confusion could occur with 4A, 5 and 6 alike.

Cheers

Alec

Not my understanding - I believe all TR5/TR250s had 4.5" wheels, and TR6s 5.5". I suppose it's possible that the switch from 4.5" to 5.5" occurred before the change of model as they are definitely interchangeable, and tyre size the same. I do not believe there was ever a 5.0" wheel used as original equipment

Rgds

Matthew

I agree with Matthew and the original factory drawings that I ordered when we were remaking steel wheels for TR's at Moss. The drawings were to the part numbers given in the factory parts lists. That does not mean there was not an odd 5" rim that fitted that never got its number in the Triumph parts listing - perhaps a Morgan or MG item?. Remember also the MGC used 15 " x 5" wire wheels - another bit of information to get laid on top, as they will fit a TR. How many wheel nuts on a MGC wheel? 4or5. If the same as MGB (4) it may mean the steel wheel will fit a TR - what size was MGC original steel wheels?

Contemporary to a TR5!

Could mean a TR5 has optional MG road wheels!!!!

The only new yukky brown steel wheels I have ever seen were 69 model TR6 unique steel rims with the long hub cap prods for the rostyle dustbin lids. There was a also a brown Spitfire wire wheel that came through from the factory spares stock.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

TR5 had 4 1/2" steel wheels and the TR6 had 5 1/2" steel wheels. Simples! You see the TR250 and of course the TR5 wheels (identical) cropping up for sale on ebay.com regularly and some include a pic of the size stamping, yes that would be 4 1/2" then!

Alan

Oh and I forgot to say I fitted the 1969 TR6 steel wheel to X755 when I was re-building it complete with Rostyles and not one person noticed any difference with regard to stance etc unless I told them ???

Alan

MGC standard fitment was 15 x 5, same 4.5" pcd 4-stud fixing, and yes they are interchangeable with TR wheels.

As I've suggested in the past, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were occasionally fitted to TR5s, possibly as dealer fitment ? And of course they were about the widest rim of that fitment available until the TR6 came along, the extra 0.5" of width being permissible in at least some production motor sports disciplines of the time.

Cheers

Alec

The dark brown primer was a standard GKN Sankey as opposed to Triumph finish.

5" rims certainly existed, but were uncommon and perhaps fitted only to very late TR5s and possibly some early 6s. Ex-dealer parts books sometimes have hand written annotations relating to rim sizes, as evidently confusion could occur with 4A, 5 and 6 alike.

Cheers

Alec

So Alec, so would the "correct" finish for a TR5 be silver, or the brown primer finish as described by Richard earlier ?