Overdrive unit A type

Hi

THis may be a silly question but can you advise me on where to fill the overdrive unit with oil. Is it through the gearbox or the overdrive unit. There is what appears to be a filler / drain? plug on the right hand side of the unit above the lever. The overdrive electrics seem ok as a load clunk is heard when switch activated but not translating to change in revs.

I have searched the forum and although there is plenty of topics about overdrives I can't find one that answers my question and the manual I have does not show be anything

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards

Brian

Brian - It all depends on the Comm. No. of your TR. I bought my TR brand new in May, 1958 and the filler on those early TRs is on RHS top of the tunnel near the top of the handbrake lever arm. If yours is like mine (see photo) pull back the carpet and fill via the top hole. There is also a dip-stick which will tell you if your oil level is adequate. There are two "V" grooves for low and full. I cross-drilled two 1/16" diameter hole through- one through each "V" groove to make it easier to read the oil level. If the oil is high enough, you can see oil in both these tiny drill holes.

If you have a later TR or if the gearbox and overdrive nave been retrofitted from a later TR up to some TR6s, the fill plug is half way up the left side of the gearbox casting. The oil will splash over into the top of the overdrive casing from the main gearbox - so check the oil again after running the engine and gearbox for several minutes then add oil back up to the correct level. On the later gearboxes with the side fill plug. stick your little finger into the fill hole to see if the oil is up to the level of the fill hole. You will get a dab of oil on your finger tip.

On a later TR3A I restored, I cut a hole in the tunnel (see green photo) and use a rubber plug to close the hole. To fill the gearbox / overdrive on this one, all you doo is lift the carpet, pull out the rubber plug and the fill hole plug is quite accessible via this side hole.

Viv, of all the PITA tasks on my TR, checking or filling the gearbox (four synchro on my TSF TR3B) isn't anywhere near the top of the list. Removing/installing the pipe plug just isn't that hard with a twelve-point ratcheting combination wrench.

And you must have smaller fingers than I, Don, if you can stick a pinkie in the pipe plug hole to check level! I do like the idea of a dipstick, and may install an earlier top cover when gearbox TSF219 is upgraded to overdrive later this year. Access holes through the tunnel are nice, too.

A fluid pump made to fit on an oil container is a convenient way to add gearbox oil through the left-side plug filler. These are pretty cheap at most auto parts stores, if you don't have one already.

w1139.jpg

Thanks heaps guys. I have installed a later all syncro gearbox with overdrive. I had already filled from the left side but had second thoughts when I saw the plug on the right. I was reading on the forum about the possibility of air in the overdrive unit and the need to 'bleed' it to expel the air and thought I would need to fill the unit separately.

As always plenty of help from forum members which is appreciated

Brian

If its the recent topic I am thinking of, started by Peejay, the discussion was about venting a J-type OD.

I had no need to bleed my A-type and it just shares the gbox oil.

You might like it change it quite soon after a rebuild though, and a bit more often than is usual for a gbox when in service.

The OD uses friction material and this does get into the oil.

I rebuilt an OD that had done a huge mileage and took the oil out with a spoon.

Hi All

Also having problems in removing the oil filler/level plug although I have gone as far as cutting an access hole in the transmission cover. I see mention of an '8 point socket' and extension bar - extension bar I have but what size socket and/or can the filler plug be modified with a hex a/f nut?

Grateful to receive any thoughts/comments.

Peter

Hi All

Thank you for your thoughts/ ideas

I took the car to auto electrician this week to sort out a few issues ( horn blowing fuse and indicators not working properly).

The trip is about 4kms from home - a bit of nerves as car not running well and did stall at a set of traffic lights at the beginning of rush hour. Fortunately started ok and just kept the revs up for the rest of the trip. Rush hour in the city where I live is nothing really but panic sets in.

Anyway - the trip must have got the oil etc flowing as the overdrive is working okay. Collected the car on Thursday afternoon and kept switching it in and out without any apparant issues.

Attention now on tuning, putting the bonnet Dzus thingys in (and making them stay) and gearbox tunnel.

Again thanks for your help

Brian