Donington Park - 24-25 August

Anyone know where I can find the entry list?? I can find the schedule of races etc....

Tom

donnington park site has the full programe for both days.Don't know about the entry lists,may be the cscc site and thoroughbreds for there race.May be one of those who are racing over the weekend have the full lists.

Roy

I can't open that link, so here are some scans of:

The Triumph Competition & British GT race (a race in the German Club's series)

and

The Swinging 60s races, Groups 1 (inc. me) & 2

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Fantastic two days at Donnington, there were lots of racing TRs headed up by the cars of the German TR Register! They came over en mass and had lots of races - three or in some cases four or more, needless to say that they didn't necessarily all finish all the races but it was great to see cars being driven, sorted and generally enjoyed. Sunday saw the swinging sixties with Sixes in group 2 and TR4s in group one.

Makes you want to try it - specially as the 40 minute long races give time to settle in and get in the grove

Agreed MichaelH, only attended today and enjoyed it thoroughly, made even more special by seeing "Kermit" my old TR4 and 3 time Register Championship winning car back on the track, he won on the Sunday.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick R,

Kermit was surprisingly similar to when it last competed, I noticed it had a huge aluminium radiator:

It was driven with enthusiam and won the swinging sixties group one race, Unfortunately Max had a problem with his car: the left rear damper mounting broke but examining the damage revealed an interesting variation of a trailing link to prevent axle wind up.

Other interesting things were the different plastic soft tops run by a couple of german cars, Lots of variations on the ideas of split brakes, one TR4 simply had aTR5/6 split system with servo attached - obvious really!

On the subject of rear axles some had the American Southfield (?) variation and some said that the American TR4As with the solid axle had better quality drive shafts than the TR4s Anyone know the difference?

Finally I noticed that Christian had a seven piece safety belt the extra two that go round his arms: presumebly to stop his arms flying out of the roll bar area in the event of a roll v sensible

I looked at the cars quite carefully and MadMax may be fast but his car is remarkably simple - thinks being a good driver helps!

Interested to hear any one else's notes/comments

Regards to all who share my enthusiasm for competeing TRs

Michael H

Thanks for the good wishes - engine still undiagnosed, as in paddock so many willing arms to help push it onto the trailer, that I didn't stop to lift the bonnet. There, can't do that thanks to the spare wheel frame, and this am, I'm still recuperating. First job will be to hose off all the spilt oil, all down the left hand side and on the load bed, let alone under the bonnet. It's like an abbatoir. After two frustrating DNSes this year already, I wasn't about to withdraw again!

Thanks to Christian and all his colleagues for coming so far, apologies for saying hello to him in the garage, just at the moment he weas mentally preparing to go out racing, and thanks again for stopping for a long chat on his way home. If the gods please, I'll have my car working (just working will do, not even working well!) in time to get to Spa - and maybe the Spirit of Silverback will return to the 'Ring!

John

PS And the news is not good.

Dip stick bent. Horrible knock. Compression on No.3, Zero. It's a broken piston at least.

New engine time. J.

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks for the good wishes - engine still undiagnosed, as in paddock so many willing arms to help push it onto the trailer, that I didn't stop to lift the bonnet. There, can't do that thanks to the spare wheel frame, and this am, I'm still recuperating. First job will be to hose off all the spilt oil, all down the left hand side and on the load bed, let alone under the bonnet. It's like an abbatoir. After two frustrating DNSes this year already, I wasn't about to withdraw again!

Thanks to Christian and all his colleagues for coming so far, apologies for saying hello to him in the garage, just at the moment he weas mentally preparing to go out racing, and thanks again for stopping for a long chat on his way home. If the gods please, I'll have my car working (just working will do, not even working well!) in time to get to Spa - and maybe the Spirit of Silverback will return to the 'Ring!

John

PS And the news is not good.

Dip stick bent. Horrible knock. Compression on No.3, Zero. It's a broken piston at least.

New engine time. J.

John

Still using domed pistons?

Peter

Bag of spanners? It's a crock of SH1T right now.

My own fault, bututhe it alwsay is, isn't it. No excuses.

And no, Peter, this was my old engine, resurrected after the super-duper, trick-headed one blew at Anglesey.

I gave it a new set of beartings and a complete set of misfires.

Ho-hum. Back to the drawing board.

JOhn

question is will it be reserected for the 4 hour relay?

I watched with sympathy when your motor expired in steam and expensive sounding noises opposite the start grandstand where I was watching

regards

MichaelH

Hi,

it was really a pleasure to be guest in England and so well kept by you all.

There was so many help.

TR-Enterprises helped with a new rocker shaft and bolts, we got a hog roast, beer, steaks.

Some new tires were also available.

To give a little impress from inside the car:

Cheers

Chris

Yes, I had just, I think, achieved a viable team, and would be writing to them all this week, to confirm, but I fear we will be one driver down.

Still, if they want to continue, I can be manager and not driver/manager.

John

Hello Chris,

It was a pleasure to meet you and some of your "Triumph Competition" colleagues - I hope you all enjoyed your visit to Donington!

An ambitious number of races for you, but glad that you managed to get the bits you needed to keep you going!! I hope we will see you all again some time??

Currently we are discussing to visit Brands Hatch (GP version) next year.

Would be a great season:

Nordschleife - Spa - Brands Hatch + some other tracks.

Edited by MadMarx

Brands Hatch Gran Prix circuit is terrific and only rarely used! I hope you can arrange it, and perhaps some of us can join you?

We really hope for some UK guys to join us. We need 44 cars on the grid to get it paid to use the big track layout. We are about 30-35 so about 10 of you could join us.

BUT....you will need an international licence grade C.

Edited by MadMarx

Ouch! Nothing to do with you Christian, but an MSA International C is £178, plus three Clerk's signatures at 'A' races.

But if I start saving now, and collecting Clerk's siggies, and building a new engine......

John

I have time sheets of ALL my races I had done. Just in case I would need it.

My license cost about 161€ I think + 60€ EKG (as I'm old now).

I'll look into the license. Might be worth it to have a go on the long Brands track (like Alan says very rarley used - I've only run on the Indy which I really like).

John, what TR do you have? Presume not talking about racing the GT6 from the picture (it is a very big picture!).