4 pot brake calipers

Hi all, I am looking for a pair of 4 pot calipers to upgrade the brakes on a car i am building for track and hill climbing, I understand that there are modern ones that have the same footprint as TR6 ones can anyone help with the type make etc. Or does anyone have any to sell. I am looking to pay around 100 pounds for a pair i don't mind if they need refurb. I understand the cost of new ones are high which is why i'm looking for ones to refurb. Cheers in advance Andy.

Andy, Toyota 1979 to 1983 petrol pick-ups (four wheel drive) apparently fit straight on, four pots with a much larger pad area, and you can use with standard rotors, should be gettable and cheap(ish)....no I havent done it but its one of the recommendations in Roger Williams How to Improve Triumph TR6.

Best of luck trying to sort the pedal travel out with them then. ;)

Stuart.

Thanks guys for the info so far, I can see i need to do some serious research in this area, Obviously there is a greater braking advantage with 4 pot but just how much better compared to standard calipers? 50%????

Stuart - pedal travel? can you elaborate a bit please?

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy

I have done the Toyota conversion and am happy with it.

Yes the pedal travel is somewhat longer, as you need to move more fluid, but it's not been a problem.

As well as the callipers you'll need appropriate pads, I recommend mintex, to slightly modify the backplates, and possibly a pair of new hard pipes on the callipers.

I posted about this conversion at the start of the year, with photos etc, so have a look for that.

Steve

Thanks guys for the info so far, I can see i need to do some serious research in this area, Obviously there is a greater braking advantage with 4 pot but just how much better compared to standard calipers? 50%????

Stuart - pedal travel? can you elaborate a bit please?

Cheers Andy

Advantage is nowhere near that over properly maintained standard setup and not only will you get a longer pedal travel but you also upset the front to rear balance.

I run standard brakes on my 4a and with original type asbestos pads and shoes it is as good as a modern.

Best improvement you can make is a set of grooved discs and some Hawk blue pads. ;)

Stuart.

I've had the standard set up on my 5 for 40k miles over the past six years and only changed the pads once.I moved to the hawk pads,as fitted by Stuart two years ago, and can recommend them for fast road use and no brake fade storming down the Stelvio on two occasions :P . I would suggest,however, changing the fluid regularly and cleaning calipers etc is a must to keep things on form,

cheers,

Laurence

Should be delivered on Thursday and fitted on the weekend, so I'll give them a try and maybe fit at set of drilled and grooved discs if I need further improvement..............

Hi Andy

I have done the Toyota conversion and am happy with it.

Yes the pedal travel is somewhat longer, as you need to move more fluid, but it's not been a problem.

As well as the callipers you'll need appropriate pads, I recommend mintex, to slightly modify the backplates, and possibly a pair of new hard pipes on the callipers.

I posted about this conversion at the start of the year, with photos etc, so have a look for that.

Steve

Andy - this is the thread Steve is referring to: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/36721-how-do-you-improve-the-brakes/

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew. You will need to take hubs off to prepare discs as per makers instructions. Might be just as well to fit grooved & drilled discs at same time . I have just fitted the street/ fast road pads . Initial impression after bedding seems more bite than previous EBC with no low speed squeal.

Chris

Chris, I am intrigued. Why does he have to remove hubs simply to replace pads?

Hmmm,

I can understand the need for bigger brakes in a motorsport application but I have to say that for road application I don't remember having a problem with lack of confidence in the ability of standard brakes to pull the car up on demand. I take the view that if you can lock the wheels up, the brakes are good enough.

I do have a stock of nasty old asbo pads though :D

Back in the day when TR6s were still in production, I found a prodsports spec car shod with standard 165x15 XAS tyres and whichever Mintex or Ferodo pads and shoes of the time could lock all four wheels from over the ton.

OK, I was 40 years younger and fitter then, but even so . . . . .

Whether or not bigger brakes are appropriate might well be determined by the wheel and tyre fitment . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Andrew. You will need to take hubs off to prepare discs as per makers instructions.,....

......Chris

So am I, can you please expand Chris?

Thanks

Andrew

My 6 has Michelin XAS 165 15" tyres fitted all round with hardly any wear to them. My brakes are completely standard and I locked up the fronts at the weekend when a caravanner lost it on the way down a long bendy downhill drag, wiping the van against the concrete road barriers, knocking over a few lamp posts and road signs on the way.

I couldn't stop laughing, partly due to the integrity of my brakes which were called upon under extreme conditions making me smile but mostly I laughed at the look on the faces of Mr and Mrs Caravan-Tower

David / Andrew. Hawk recommend sanding discs with 130 grit paper to remove any contamination from previous pads. This will give them their best chance of good performance with bedding correctly . Unfortunately with disc shield in place you cannot prepare inside face of disc . Unless you can slacken or remove disc shield for better access . I found it just as easy to remove hub/disc & clean up on bench

Chris

Hi Chris,

Hawk HPS pads arrived today - excellent service from Cambridge Motorsport!

Picked up a set of grooved and drilled discs this afternoon from Moss, London (again excellent service, thanks Russell!) so the rubbing down of the old discs will not be required.

Fitting and 'testing' this weekend, so will report back on if there is any improvement..................

Cheers

Andrew

Dont forget to clean off the transit coating on the new discs as well Andrew ;)

Stuart.