ELECTRONIC IGNITION ??

I'm thinking of putting an electronic ignition on my 6.

Why .... To make tickover smoother and improve spark reliability and maybe improve MPG.

Question.... Is it really worth bothering with, and if so which system for reliability, performance and VFM and who's recommended as supplier.

my 6 goes well, but lumpy at low revs, especially from cold. it is standard right through.

Hi,

I fitted Lumenition to my TR6. It did seem to help smooth out the idle a bit and better starting.

The reason I chose Lumenition? Is purely because my father fitted it to his Stag about 15years ago and was one of the best things done. better starting & running and have never had to do anything to the ignition side of things since apart from usual routine checks.

Only thing to make sure is that you get a good earth to the unit if you decide to fit one.

Cheers,

J.

Hi John,

have used this from Simonbbc for over a year now with no problems at all. Dead easy to fit and can also revert back to poins if required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-to-fit-6cyl-Lucas-22D6-25D6-/121037385990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph&hash=item1c2e63f106

Regards,

Vince.

Hello John

Can't think why no-one has pointed you towards Pertronix it thoroughly transformed most TRs I have seen it fitted to and a few (whisper it MGs) Pete

Hello John

Lumenition had been fitted to our 71, TR6 PI when we purchased it in Oct 2011. Done 4K+ with no problems. RED rotor arm also fitted.

Cheers ...> Alan G

• 1 month later...

I have the 123ignition USB version. Easy to adjust your curves to your wants or needs. Been running it now for 4 years and happy with it. Did have the standard coil, bought from Moss which I replaced today with a Pertronix Flamethrower (1.5ohms). Wow, that changed to car quite a bit, much smoother and faster pick up throughout the revs!

If you get the Pettronix, fit their flamethrower coil too. You can then open out the plug gap. I am running these with a 35thou plug gap. Once the fuel system is fully pressurised she starts on a half turn and pulls all the way to the red line in top with no hesitation.

Current TR6 has Lumenition Optronic, works great.

Previous car i fitted the Simonbbc/Powerspark 'in distributor' system which also worked great.

I'm not convinced either will help the lumpy idle though as they both rely on the existing distributor, and it's probably worn shaft/bearings/

Simonbbc was very cheap, and helpful too, though, so worth a try first ?

steve

If you get the Pettronix, fit their flamethrower coil too. You can then open out the plug gap. I am running these with a 35thou plug gap. Once the fuel system is fully pressurised she starts on a half turn and pulls all the way to the red line in top with no hesitation.

Can this be bought over here or do you have to send off for them from the State's ?

Thanks.

Dave

Hi All. Bit off topic really but I recently asked for some advice and received some from NTC Neil for which I am very grateful but I am still struggling because however hard I push down the darned thing just refuses to get low enough to allow the rotor arm to sit

on top. Wondering if I have the correct dizzy for the kit I bought. The following explains...

---------------------------------

Just fitting a Lumenition FK117 electronic ignition system to my 6. The plastic part that fits over the distributor main shaft and looks like a helicopter rotor with 6 blades won't drop down far enough before hitting the 2 lower stops. There are 4 stops, 2 long ones and 2 short ones. The fact that the unit won't drop down far enough means that the rotor arm itself won't fit low enough and flops about all over the place. I can remove the 2 longer stops but feel I shouldn't need to do that to a brand new Lumenition item that I bought

just over a year ago. Any help muchly appreciated, please. Thanks in advance for your comments.

----------------------------------------

Anyone else fancy suggesting a solution other than burning the systems ! I can file the lugs of the unit but shouldn't have to resort to that with a new kit obviously. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Regards

Rob

Re electronic ignition. Thought I would UPGRADE so fitted bbc system very easy only lasted a couple of months sent back to Simon no problem new fitted lasted 6 weeks. As a last ditch effort I fitted the more expensive Pertronix 6 months again. Bugger it back to good old fashioned points. So far so good, I don't know what is causing them to fail but I can't be bothered anymore. Sometimes it's best to stick to what has worked before.......

Cheers Mark..

I think there must be something wrong with the part number if you look on their web site they have the same kit number for a 4 cylinder as a 6 cylinder, how many chopper plates are on your chopper 4 or 6 hope this might help

Do the chopper blades pass through the optical switch at all? Is it possible to fit the chopper upside down? A bit random but it's ages since I had a Lumenition and I can't recall how it all sits.

Edited by peejay4A

Can this be bought over here or do you have to send off for them from the State's ?

Thanks.

Dave

Dave, sorry for delay - been away. I got mine from TR shop at a show.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave, sorry for delay - been away. I got mine from TR shop at a show.

Pretty sure Tr6 is a 22D6 dizzy if that helps