Only eight weeks since aquiring my '69 TR6, the body has now parted company with the chassis. I am constantly amazed by the condition of this unmolested Californian car, most bolts have come out easily, most with shiny threads, brake pipes have all come off without any damage. Only one bolt snapped, strangely, in the boot lid hinge.

I have found a small amount of corrosion in the right hand floor pan which will need sorting, but that is the only body work required.

So, next job is to lift the engine/gearbox out and strip the suspension, the chassis is then off to be blasted and powder coated. Not looking forward to getting the black sh*t off the body tub.

Cheers

Graeme

TR6-001_zpsa569acdd.jpg

TR6-002_zpsb01d49b2.jpg

TR6-004_zps1d538570.jpg

Edited by graeme

Graeme,

There's of lot of people going to be very jealous of the excellent starting point of your build. It's quite usual to hear horror stories of rotten areas.

Best of luck, it should turn out to be a cracking car

Simon

Meet the 'little gopher'. Up until now, the only oil that had slipped through my fingers was cooking oil and moroccan argon oil to make my hair shine! I'm a little bit more agile than Graeme so can quickly retrieve an escaped washer...I'm enjoying it tho'. Graeme doesn't know the first thing about following a recipe and wouldn't know where to put fabric conditioner :)

Believe it or not it looks in about the same condition as my 74 magenta resto, I couldn't believe my luck !!

Hope the nuts were not too tight Sue ! Lol

Regards

Nigel

Believe it or not it looks in about the same condition as my 74 magenta resto, I couldn't believe my luck !!

Hope the nuts were not too tight Sue ! Lol

Regards

Nigel

It's nice to know that someone else shares our joy! I knocked my elbow once or twice, but then again, I used to be a Middlesbrough street-fighter when I was young ... :lol: ..

Notice the black oil stain on my right thumb? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Update, the chassis and body have gone for blasting this week, so I am concentrating on getting suspension parts cleaned and painted, ready for the reassembly.

When I stripped the front dampers out, I noticed that the bottom mounting was different to the TR4A which I am more familiar. I assumed this was a TR4/6 difference, but looking at the parts book, it should be the same as the TR4A. See the bottom photo, any thoughts?

Cheers

Graeme

TR6-003_zpsd957dfa9.jpg

TR6-004_zpsf9f52dee.jpg

TR6-006_zpsb950c950.jpg

Probably Stuart, the lower bracket on my 6 looks the same as on the 4A.

Anyhow Graeme it's nice to have such a lovely helping hand, on the other hand I suppose the local nail studio is not going out of buisiness soon.!!!!

Edited by jean

Strange looking,is the otherside the same.

Niall,

Yes, the other side is identical.

Stuart, I thought it looked too well engineered to be a lash up.

Also noticed that the damper has about 4" more movement than standard.

Cheers

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Following our three week visit to the UK, I have been busy with the rebuild. The chassis returned last Thursday and I have now put a few bits back on. The body returned yesterday, unfortunately the blasting has uncovered a bit of tin worm in the boot floor and the RH floor area, so a bit more work than planned!

TR6-006_zpsf95194d2.jpg

TR6-001_zpsb789f65f.jpg

TR6-001_zps92da6ca6.jpg

Edited by graeme

Graeme that shell is still so much better than you would ever find over here. Lucky bu@@er! Looking good.

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I have been waiting for parts to arrive and machine work on the engine to be complete. So, I decided I needed a blast cabinet and knocked one up from wood. Seems to do the job OK. B)

Good news on the engine, despite 79,000 miles the crank just need polishing and new standard bearings, but a rebore and +20 pistons was required. All balanced and ready for assembly.

Blaster-002-2048_zps3673a449.jpg

TR6-011_zpsbc70ac40.jpg

TR6-006_zps3a37b313.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Graze,

I am making some progress now. The machine shop had 'lost' some parts and had to order new from Moss, so that has delayed the engine rebuild by a couple of weeks.

However, the wheels are back on now and today I mounted the engine in the chassis.

TR6-013-2048_zpsb2a50626.jpg

TR6-003-2048_zps84c50d21.jpg

TR6-002-2048_zps1d8234bf.jpg

TR6-024-2048_zps20168239.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Andrew,

You can count on me for help and assistance when you need it. I have spent the last week outfitting Ryan's Toyota van for travelling It's coming together well. Alec, it's great to have him with us again...we missed him.

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished replacing the RH floor and wheel well, I hate bodywork :(

Looking for paint now but can't find celly laquer as recommended by Stuart :(

Anybody used Dupli-Color Paint Shop system? http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/

It appears to be laquer based paint but with limited colours.

TR6-0102-2048_zpsf084e723.jpg

TR6-013-2048_zps273c20e7.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme I wouldnt use that paint if I was you as its very thin and doesnt cover, very DIY. You could try these guys in Toronto. http://www.goudeymfg.com/contact-us.html they supply it for custom guitars etc but its the same type of finish. See this thread here http://www.finishing.com/163/88.shtml

Stuart.