5 Cylinders Woes

Well job done...running on all six again, when reved up...but under load intermitant misfire! Doh!

Feels like Ignition?

But I changed loads of ignition stuff...see my list of stuff I've done in my first post.

All the Plugs are sooty, so yeah, it's running too rich!

So, what to do next folks ?

Is the mixture enrichment lever returning all the way Denis?

Is the vacuum hose leaking?

How good are your sparks?

Enriching Mixture has always worked fine, I had reassembled it when I put the Metering Unit back on and yes it returns ok.

Vacuum hose is quite new and fits tight at both ends, and I have a good fat Spark to all six! I have changed all the Plugs 3 times, New Copper Leads, new Points, Condensor and Dizzy Cap, and new LT leads.

Next?

Edited by Denis

No suggestions then?

I'm not sure which cylinder is misbehaving now!...Thinking about changing the other 4 Injectors...and maybe a new Distributor ?

I'm stumped!

Someone clever will be along in a minute......

Denis if you think you have to rich a mixture you need to have the co reading checked my car had a co reading of 6.77 at tick over I managed to get it down to 4.55 by adjusting the stack on the metering unit.

You can find out more if you go to the thread entitled TR6 HIGH CO in the archives.

Hope this helps.

Injectors arrived in the post yesterday

am 'working from home' today so out to the garage at 8 to fit them .....

only to discover that the car has 3 push in and three screw in injectors.

Stupid of me not to check this before ordering the set of 6 push in injectors !

Neil helpfully sending me a set of 3 push in fittings today, so i will have a full set of 6 push in injectors by the weekend :-)

to be continued.......

Back from sailing and it's a lovely sunny evening..... Out to the garage !

Three push in adapters arrived yesterday, so cleaned them up and put the reconditioned injectors in.

Ran the pump for a bit to get the pressure up as best i could, then after a couple of goes at cranking she fired into life, on 3 or 4 cylinders.

I pulled each injector out in turn, and pointed it into my trusty bucket, it's a small dirty white bucket perfect to see the fuel spray pattern.

Holding each injector as high as possible to encourage air purging, she ran a bit better.

Off for a 'test drive'.......

With the first bit of serious throttle the engine stared to pull cleanly, on to the dual carriageway and woo hoo it's running great and pulling like a train again :-)

Driving slow, fast, hard, gently, could not get a misfire :-)

Back to the garage, the Tickover is perhaps 50-100 reves high, so adjusted that.

Shall have another 'test' tomorrow but seems that Neil's injectors have done the job.

Thanks Neil !

Steve

Steve,

"With the first bit of serious throttle the engine stared to pull cleanly, on to the dual carriageway and woo hoo it's running great and pulling like a train again.
Driving slow, fast, hard, gently, could not get a misfire"

I took that for granted when the 6 was a daily driver, year in year out. Carried a spare injector in the glove box for ten years- dont ever remember using it.

Makes me wonder if winter lay-ups are the cause of all the PI gremlins we read on here. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Peter

Hi Peter

I have to agree with your statement re PI use, my car is superb when she is driven regularly but once she is left for a while it takes her a while to spark back to her best

Good points Peter and Clarkey.

One of my injectors was quite broken though, the end not springing back correctly.

Has another 'test' run this morning, still bloody marvellous :-)

Gave a BMW X5 a bit of a surprise :-))

Steve

Hi all

Speeking to a guy who knew somebody that worked on the design team of the original injection system the worst thing you can do is not put fuel through the system ie not use or potter around give it some wellie............dont leave it in a carcoon for months and then wonder why it runs like a pig........

Just my HO but its something i stick to. Just back from the Loire with Somerset Triumphs 1100 miles all happy days........FANTASIC

Cheers Mark.

Lucky ole Steve!

Back to 'my' original problem...You've all seen what I've changed so far, and still have a problem with an itermittant misfire driving, but runs cleanly on all 6 when just being revved up! So, logic dictates that under load the problem is electronic...Whilst on a weeks holiday away, I've pondered the problem of wear in the Distributor as to the culprit?

My Dizzy and it's Rota Arm are both originals...so I've studied the Rota Arm under high magnification and a bright light...No cracks or faults detected!...Okay, so with the Rota Arm in postion...how much play in the Shaft should there be, when one takes the Rota Arm between finger and thumb and takes up the slack?...I've got 7mm...is that the problem?...Or is that normal?

Edited by Denis

7mm play: it is free play ? - and you are not extending the springs in the c/f mechanism?

I would measure the c/f advance timing curve with a strobe. It may be the c/f advance spring eyes have opened up allowing more advance. Nipping the spring ends tighter closed should help. Then re-check curve against the book jsut in case the springs have weakened.

Thanks Stuart...and yes Peter that's 'Free Play' In the shaft! Time for a Dizzy overhaul then...cos I'm not clever enough for that timing melarky!

Denis

How many miles has your car now done?

74,450 miles.

With that amount of play in the shaft then I would say it does.

Stuart.

Mine has done over 250k and still meets the standard swing curve, but I did have to nip up the spring ends. Side to side play in the shaft bearings is more of an issue, but I plan to get round that with optical of Hall effect trigger.

I spoke too soon!

After a week of running perfectly the misfire is back.

Consistent non-injection from number 1, temporary on at least one other.

Drained the fuel from the injector into a clean white aerosol cap, fuel has quite a lot of tiny black contaminants in it.

Now I have a new sytec fuel filter between tank and Bosch 996 pump, but the rubber hoses on the Bosch have seen better days.

So ...... Do we think this is hoses breaking down, or something else??

Then I would question if the dizzy needs a rebuild yet, Martin would tell you better worth a call if I was you

Well I've changed everything else...what else is left? Cost to Overhaul it £185.00 + Vat apparently!

Edited by Denis