TR Restoring.

I seem to be one of several amateurs restoring a TR5 at the moment,i am sure that we all have certain ways of doing things and different skills.

I for one have learnt alot from various postings on the site,and from people that i have met.

i have registered the car with roger ferris and have a marvelous response from a previuos owner,with loads of pics and history....he even went on his honeymoon in it !

The car was even owned by a famous DJ in the 70`s,luckily not saville !!!

I have now totally dismantled it and have been this morning,but its too cold for spraying the remainder of the underside,and i have just about re-furbed everything before re-assembling......

The main question i am asked by friends and aquaintances is, "when will it be finished",i tell them its all down to time and money,and most importantly,parts availabilty.....i am sure we all have encountered the same problems....

Happy restoring Everyone,

Conrad.

PS.....time to wrap up warm again and take another step on the way to getting her on the road.....

Hi Conrad,

when will it be finished? !!! It's a TRiumph, it will never be finished.

However there will come a time when it is launched into the world of driving and people will marvel.

You certainly learn new skills when playing with these things.

Bring on the sun

Roger

Hello Forumites,

I have on occasions met up with Conrad. But be careful if he ever invites you round for a cup of tea & a chat. The teas ok but the biscuits are always cheap custard creams & not hobknobs which I prefer.

You have been warned.

Cheers

Peter

Conrad

Go on, please tell who the DJ was?

Sue

In reply,thankyou roger for the words of encouragement,

Suzanne the dj was david jacobs,so thats two dj`s that we know of !

Peter,thanks for the giggle on a cold sunday morning,i did supply original hobnobs,but he just likes to wind me up.....the biscuits were the least i could do,for all the help he has given me...so far !

So i was wondering how many people are in the process of rebuilding a TR5 ?

All the best,

Conrad.

Hi Conrad

My 5 restoration is about to be completed. Sadly, I'm not certain I have the skills needed

to restore a 5 but a friend of mine does so he has been doing it on and off for a

while. The while being the last 27 years; well, I did tell him not to hurry... As well as

the 5 he is restoring for me I am searching for another 5 that I can try and restore

myself. I was very disappointed that I missed the 5 on eBay last week that sold for

£15,050 with a brand new MOT; my own fault. There is a 5 being sold in London at

the moment but the vendor wants £14,500 for it on eBay and to me it looks pretty much

like a body off job (see Stuart's amusing comment on the main forum, Interesting TR5

for sale on eBay) and at that money is not very good value for money, particularly in

view of the £15,050 paid for a 5 with a new MOT albeit with fibreglass wings, bonnet

and boot-lid and another 5 sold last week for £14k that wasn't at all bad. So if you

hear about another 5 for sale do let me know. For what it is worth there are 395 TR5's

currently on the road with another 93 on SORN according to the howmanyleft web

site. Hope the rebuild goes well and is roadworthy (won't say finished as Roger points

out) very soon.

Regards to everyone

Rob

hi....good to hear from all of you,

Is that a 5 that you are going to restore stuart ? i bet you dont take 27 years,i would have gone mad by now rob,not being able to drive my car.but its good to hear that is is being restored,how many more years do you reckon ?

i am sure one or two would have liked the one that sold on ebay,must have been a bargain......generally the prices seem high as per the one in london,i suppose that is good for all of us though...

My longest rebuild ,dare i say it,was an mgc roadster,took 7 years,...so i hoping to be alot quicker with the TR5,although pete moffat thinks i am a slow coach,but who can keep up with him ??

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi All

The reason for the 27-year restoration was that I was working abroad for most of

that time and didn't want the car sat in a cold damp garage. I am promised the

finished car in March, now so only a couple of months more. Hopefully. And the

garage isn't cold and damp now, either. But you are right, I can't wait to have it

sat in my garage... or better still when I'm driving it.

Rob

Hi rob,so it looks like you will be on the road in your beloved TR5 this spring.....you will just love it !

I got up early this morning,brushed snow and ice off the car and went to my lock up........kick started the gas heater blower,so i could continue stonechipping and re-spraying the underside of mine.

Local kids and dads were already building a massive sowman,we must all be mad !!

All the best.

Conrad.

Dont use underseal, use stone chip (not shutz either) and prime and paint over it. Looks much better and protects just as well.

Stuart.

I am pleased that you said that stuart,because that is what i am doing.....And yes nick the underside is body colour,signal red...i have done 3/4 of it when it was on one side,i have now flipped it over onto the otherside...,layed carefully on comfy settee cushions.

Good luck with the gaps etc.

Conrad.

I use 2pack primer over the stone chip and then 2pack paint underneath but Celly for the rest of the car. Gravitex is fine.

Stuart.

Red primer the entire underneath first (Bondarust or similar) paying particular attention to getting it well into all the seams and then seam seal. Once the seam sealer has gone off (check all round for any shrinkage and reseal if needed) then stonechip/prime/paint.

Stuart.

Hi Conrad,

Hope you are well, seems a long time since we met at Newark!! Things have moved on with me now divorce settled so I can bring out the TR250 I had ferreted away :-)

I havent seen it for almost a year!!

catch up with you soon for the tea and biscuits!!

Tom

Hey tom,good to hear from you,i didnt realise the situation ,so good to hear you have the tr250 back,is it a goer or for resto....You are welcome to come over ,but depends if pete moffat has been,as to whether there are any biscuits left !!!

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Conrad

It's a Canadian car for resto but in very good shape, speedo reads 31k and judging by the interior it's probably correct, no rot or damage anywhere so it should make a nice car, pm me your email and I'll send you some photos of it coming out of the container

Regards

Tom