Aluminium panels good idea?

I am looking potentially at new front and rear wings as part of my tr250 rebuild. Wondered at pros and cons of aluminium panels given they are same price as new steel and don't rust. Anyone offer any experience or thoughts

Regards Nige

Hi a friend of mine fitted these on a 4 last year ,they did need a bit of work to get a decent fit, they came with the project so dont know who supplied them,but most panels need some degree of work as im about to find out this week.

regards nick

The problem is as stated they need quite a bit of skilled work to get them to fit and they arent the easiest to live with dent wise ;)

Stuart.

I suggest lifting a steel example before deciding. They are quite light as is, and unless you're vying for every ounce saved in a high-stakes racing arena I don't think it's a good idea. Steel and aluminium aren't friendly to one another and mating them is asking for trouble over the long haul. I would at least gasket the mating surfaces and use stainless fasteners/ washers.

Also, what Stuart said ( 1st ) about dent resistance.

Where it makes sense is in the Surrey hardtop lid, weighing in at 1/2 that of the steel version and making for a snooze in fitting / removal.

TRGB were showing carbon fibre wings at Malvern last August - looked good, but obviously difficult to fettle, although they are apparently matched with original parts. Much lighter than steel, and probably aluminium as well. if it is good enough for F1, should be OK for a TR.

Why not get in touch with them?

Mike

The problem would always appear to be the fit with repro wings in metal for the 4/5's. If you add the time it takes to fettle the wing, which from experience involves splitting the wing and welding in strips then grinding and shaping etc it is so much easier just to buy set from Walter Petchey as there is no substitue for fitting origional wings.

Unless you want to race in a standard class for road cars which requires metal wings, and every Lb saved in weight is a tenth of a second per lap.

I was discussing getting some aluminium door skins with a respected tr outfit at last years IWE.

I was advised that unless I wanted to race (and save weight) not to fit them on a road car due to their vunerability to dings and knocks. Even the continuous opening and closing of the door will cause the handle to indent. Apparently the works TR4s had an internal skin around the handle for this very problem.

I assume you would have a similar problem with the wings.

carbon fibre type materials can be up to 1/2 the weight of Ali alloy. So if weight is the problem then CF is a goer.

But there are many problems !! CF is susceptible to impact damage.

A small ding on a steel wing can be repaired very easily. With CF a small ding could make a large delamination on the unseen surface making repair quite fun.

If you need to repair then what do you do!! A tube of Araldite would work but not very well.

Drop a spanner on the top of a wing - what happens underneath.

Thankfully wings/door skins aren't that important so if they are repaired badly then who cares.

If you dont like/want steel then go for GRP - cheap and well proven.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Carbon fibre, unlike GRP, is electricaly conductive (not a lot, but enough) and will corrode other metals when in contact (I think Titanium is quite susceptable). So precautions need to be taken.

As for how easy to dent - how long is a piece of string!!

Roger

I think there may be a problem with fatigue cracks in aluminium wings with bolt-holes all around them.

This will take a while to happen so won't matter if you are not doing many miles.

I used all original steel even though they needed a bit or repair. Did I get a perfect fit. Er no! But it is good.

Al.