Glove box decisions

This might be a daft topic but I've a 3-way dilemma:

Go for a fibreglass box from TRGB - quite expensive but bulletproof (overkill?) or,

Flock lined cardboard from TR Shop - looks nice or,

Smooth finish cardboard - v basic

I'm inclined toward the TR Shop flock lined.

Help!

Ive had a flock lined one in mine since it was built (18 years ago) and its not suffered at all but then I dont chuck anything heavy or awkward in it.

Stuart.

I have a flock lined one from TR shop - they were doing a special on then at the international a few years ago. It was a bit of a bu**er to fit but once fitted and properly supported at the rear, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't last and it looks fine.

If I were going for a fibreglass version, I would want to be confident of the shape and alignment of the fixings because it wouldn't have the flexibility of the fibreboard version.

Rgds Ian

Al they do fit at a slight angle so they just sort of miss the heater duct but your right they are a "snug" fit ;)

Stuart.

I have the whole dash made up ready to fit in when I have finished all the other trimming jobs in there.

I have waved my tape-measure at it several times now and compared with the more rounded original one.

Its impossible to be sure it will go.

So thanks for your encouragement. i'll be letting you know!

The flock finish is good. The blue-shade goes with my paint.

Al.

pfenlon: Where the black top of the dashboard meets the white metal dashboard, there is normally an ugly marriage between the two materials. I noticed yours was beautifully finished with some kind of 'trim'. Could you tell me what you have used and where you got it please?

Very neat!

pfenlon: Where the black top of the dashboard meets the white metal dashboard, there is normally an ugly marriage between the two materials. I noticed yours was beautifully finished with some kind of 'trim'. Could you tell me what you have used and where you got it please?

Very neat!

My dash top was a used and also a little damaged one and when I fitted it you could see that between the top and the dash was a creased mess.

So I covered a pice of 1/4 rubber tubing with a piece of vinyl and fitted it.

sadly the vinyl followed the laws of gravity and still left the "gap" exposed.

To uphold the vynil and cover the "gap" I bought a one inch by eight of an inch piece of alloy strip from my local B@Q warehouse. They have a good assortment of trims, Stuart put me onto B@Q a couple of years ago.

this is easy to make drill and when you bolt it up it forms its bend naturally, I wish I had made the vinyl a little wider though.

hope this helps.

Mmm. Sounds far too complicated. I was wondering would standard black piping work> where it is similar to the fitment around the edges of seats and trim etc. There is the hard main piping segment but also a thin strip coming off it which is normally sewn into the panel?

Right I found the proper name for what I am after, but is elusive here in the UK, or so it seems:

Black vinyl welting cord, is what I need! Anyone?

Edited by wayne taylor

Wayne perhaps Woolies could help you.

Neil, refer to fig 3 page 6 of the TR4 owners handbook. and the Who? you know and 10, what a score, obviously a first. Please Please don't reply to my posts in future, kind regards Peter.

ps, including this one.