Tr3a Softop supply

Hi All,

My motor came with a white softop, cant say i am overjoyed by the colour combination. -_-

So its got to go. <_<

Am sure its be asked before ,but whats the current thinking of hoods on the market, best place to buy.

I am after a black vinyl hood, can you get them with zip out rear window?

Cheers

Guy

I've no idea how good they are Guy, but "The Little British Car Company" in Michigan sometimes have black TR3A zip-out hoods available, in vinyl and Everflex. (Not sure if they've got them in stock at the moment, but they might be worth a call nonetheless?) Here's a link to their catalogue - it's a long list - you'll need to scroll down through a litany of MGs, Sprites and Spitfires!) : lbcarco.com.

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

Guy

Why would you want a zip out window? I guess you need the restraints on the top as per your 6

Chaps

Thanks for those links and info, something i will look through,

Neil,

The only time i have the hood up in my six is when its peeing it down. Now i have the side windows shut, but i open the rear window. Dont get water in at speed. Love it , can hear the exhaust, plenty of ventilation. I dont use the frame for any additionals support to hood.

So this is my thinking for the Tr3a :)

http://www.lbcarco.com/images/tops/trtop1.jpg

http://www.lbcarco.com/images/tops/trtop2.jpg

Thanks

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

When I bought mine it was on the advice of experts on this forum. I'd been getting soaked because water comes over the top of the windscreen and was advised that the Roadster Factory's was an exact copy of the original, had an extra padded piece across the from and would be fine. Surely this is important?

Robbins Softops

Found this site recommended on another forum

http://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/Triumph/1957_thru_1963_Triumph_TR3A_And_TR3B_Roadster.html

I read the above as being Robbins tops, although seems somewhat cheaper than Trf so more investigation required i think

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I can confirm the Robins top from the Roadster Factory is water proof. Went to the all Standard and Triumph day in November, it rained all the way there and off and on all day with thunder storms and an overall nasty wheather day but the TR never got a drop inside, verry pleased.

Graham

Guy-

I posted the topsonline.com link in the other forum - I am a happy customer with them and saved a few dollars, but I've only used them once while I'm a 20+ year customer of the Roadster Factory just to put in an appropriate disclaimer!

I thought I'd post a few pictures of the Robbins top and front details on this forum as it probably less common outside the US. First, the obligatory pic of my pride and joy with top and sidescreens installed:20121009_185323.jpg

Closeup shot of the top installation on the frame:

20121007_170247.jpg

And a few detailed shots of the front flap piece, sorry, only snapped a partial photo here:

20121207_075540.jpg

20121207_075547.jpg

20121207_075552.jpg

Hope that helps, as you can see the flap is not attached to the Tenax fasteners but is trapped underneath when the top is attached. I can take better pictures if needed.

Regards

Randy

Randy this is a very good solution and it looks nice , as your beautifull car does. :rolleyes:

In a certain way I tend to contradict that this was factory original. Why... I purchased my first 3A in 63, a 59 model with 53k kms on the clock. The car still displayed it's first/ original soft top, but I can't remember ever having seen this flap.

The car was a CKD from Belgium, comnr. BTS 39670 L, but the top came probably,as all other parts from U.K ;) .

Guy-

I posted the topsonline.com link in the other forum - I am a happy customer with them and saved a few dollars, but I've only used them once while I'm a 20+ year customer of the Roadster Factory just to put in an appropriate disclaimer!

I thought I'd post a few pictures of the Robbins top and front details on this forum as it probably less common outside the US. First, the obligatory pic of my pride and joy with top and sidescreens installed:20121009_185323.jpg

Closeup shot of the top installation on the frame:

20121007_170247.jpg

And a few detailed shots of the front flap piece, sorry, only snapped a partial photo here:

20121207_075540.jpg

20121207_075547.jpg

20121207_075552.jpg

Hope that helps, as you can see the flap is not attached to the Tenax fasteners but is trapped underneath when the top is attached. I can take better pictures if needed.

Regards

Randy

Hi Randy,

Very nice car you have.

Thanks for the pictures, great help, hood looks well made.

Helped me make my mind up

Cheers

Guy

Thanks for the kind words gents-

Guy, I think you will like the top, hopefully shipping is not too dear. If the timing were better I'd offer to haul one over to you, I was hoping to attend Stoneleigh next February but those plans are in jeopardy.

Randy

Guy - I like the looks of the green top on the Apple Green TR3A but the snaps are not positioned correctly (as original). I bought my TR3A brand new in 1958 and the snaps were vertical on my top, on the tonneau cover and also on my stick cover.

Randy. I also bought a Robbins top (tan like yours) from Roadster factory and it had the flap along the front where I had to punch 1/2" diameter holes as your photos show to fit over the hex of the Tenax pegs located along the top of the windscreen frame. I bought mine in 1990 and it is stamped (heat embossed) "1989" in the lower corner of one of the rear vinyl clear windows.

But your photos seem to show a fuzzy strip also sewn to the top front flap. Mine does not have that fuzzy strip. Does your top have this fuzzy strip ?

Guy - My original top had no flap but it had a fuzzy strip sewn (or maybe it was glued) across the top front. (See photo below where my 3 fingers are pulling the fuzzy stip back on the top that came with my TR3A in 1958). BTW FYI there were also fuzzy velvet strips glued to the tops of the horizontal sticks that support the top. I suppose this was to help slide the stick assembly up to its final position after attaching the top with the sticks still a few inches loose.

Ashley - Does your new top have a fuzzy strip sewn across the top front ?

I feel that the flap improved the performance of the top compared to my original top and maybe since I bought mine in 1990, Roadster Factory has decided to add the fuzzy strip for "originality" and/or improved performance.

Randy - May I suggest that you contact TRA or Ken Nachman in Maryland or Virginia to buy bags to store your new top and new sidecurtains in sturdy vinyl storage bags so they don't get dirty, crushed or torn just thrown into your boot. Mine still like brand new after 22 years. But they are almost never on my TR3A - even after driving 110,000 miles since 1990.

My Roadster Factory hood has the flap across the front that has holes punched in it to fit over the Tenax before the hood itself is attached.

My old hood has a furflex tube across the front that does nothing and water pours in.

I paid extra for the Roadster Factory hood because the consensus was that it was the only one made that had it and therefore wouldn't let water pour over the top of the screen.

Randy. I also bought a Robbins top (tan like yours) from Roadster factory and it had the flap along the front where I had to punch 1/2" diameter holes as your photos show to fit over the hex of the Tenax pegs located along the top of the windscreen frame. I bought mine in 1990 and it is stamped (heat embossed) "1989" in the lower corner of one of the rear vinyl clear windows.

But your photos seem to show a fuzzy strip also sewn to the top front flap. Mine does not have that fuzzy strip. Does your top have this fuzzy strip ?

Randy - May I suggest that you contact TRA or Ken Nachman in Maryland or Virginia to buy bags to store your new top and new sidecurtains in sturdy vinyl storage bags so they don't get dirty, crushed or torn just thrown into your boot. Mine still like brand new after 22 years. But they are almost never on my TR3A - even after driving 110,000 miles since 1990.

Hi Don-

No, it must be a trick of the camera, no fuzzy strip at all is sewn into the front. I see you did a better job at punching in the 1/2 holes in the flap, I wound up making the holes wider as I fit the hood to the car.

I have that same sidescreen bag from Ken - very nice quality. I need to get the same for the top, right now I'm using a spare garment bag which is providing reasonably good service.

Randy