Oops, another costly mistake

I thought things were going too well. I began fitting the windscreen today. The seal was a nice fit to the screen and slathered with KY I approached the frame. After a bit of a sweat the bottom of the seal was in place and the rope trick began - and ended at both top corners when it refused to budge, both sides. Eventually I coaxed it around the corners but the rope would not pull the seal over the top lip. In the end the seal shredded over a distance of about 1 inch. I considered carrying on but I knew that it would be nagging at me for ever more so proceeded to remove the screen so as to fit a new seal. And the bloody thing broke. Roger, I now know your pain. The really irksome thing is that it should have been easier than fitting the backlight where I had no problems at all.

I don't fancy risking another £150 worth so am looking for someone to come round and fit it for me. Any suggestions for the Rugby/Coventry area?

Not so long ago I bought a new screen rubber from ebay and had the same problem, though with an old windscreen. Interestingly when a new rubber was purchased from Moss it was a lot more flexible and a better fit shape, but I still got someone to install the new screen.

Tim

Sorry you broke the glass PJ.

I'd be interested to know if you did this with the finisher in place and what kind of rope you used. I suspect the kind of rope is the reason you failed.

Also were you using "old" glass. The professionals reckon to break old glass about half the time. Remember these are laminated not toughened and basically fragile.

I used a pro to fit the backlight. He broke it and I did it myself the second time. So dont feel too bad.

I'd just get a new glass and seal from Moss and have another go. This is what I used and it went in easy.

I now a good pro but dont know how far he goes.

Al.

On my Spitfire rebuild (same screen) I was nervous about doing it myself. So I rang the local car glass people expecting to get a pass on to someone else. They were completely bored with the question, yes they could fit a triumph screen yes they had the special tool, and correct cord etc. Bloke came round a few days later when he was near as agreed and did it in a few minutes; cost me a few cash quids, a cup of tea and twenty minutes chat. Apparently it’s no big deal for these guys. So you could do worse than just phone a few people up.

Mike

It was a new screen and rubber, the rubber was from TRF and no finisher in place. It seemed pliable enough but I think it probably snugged up too close on the lower edge too early which then closed the gap too far at the top causing the rope to jam. I used the rope to fit the rear backlight incidentally and I had no problems. It's nylon braided and from a semi professional screen fitting kit. All in all it's probably down to my technique but once you've gone so far with fitting a laminated screen it seems that it's very difficult to back track. I'll be on the phone when the replacement screen arrives.

Oh you are right on it. The lower lip is the secret to the whole of the rest of it. I put the rubber in on the lower flange without the glass to see how far it went.

I had the finisher in and am convinced this makes the rubber easier to handle.

At the first stage, I slide the rubber down onto the flange and off of the glass, a bit. Then I pushed the glass down into the rubber. I had a few Tippex marks about to show when it was all fully home.

By the time I got to the top the rope could be pulled out with two fingers in a single swipe.

Al.

Oh you are right on it. The lower lip is the secret to the whole of the rest of it. I put the rubber in on the lower flange without the glass to see how far it went.

I had the finisher in and am convinced this makes the rubber easier to handle.

At the first stage, I slide the rubber down onto the flange and off of the glass, a bit. Then I pushed the glass down into the rubber. I had a few Tippex marks about to show when it was all fully home.

By the time I got to the top the rope could be pulled out with two fingers in a single swipe.

Al.

Hi Mike,

Late last year I asked Autoglass the same question (me supplying the glass) - £180. There aren't too many bargains out there now.

Roger

Hello Roger

I wasn't as clear as I thought i was: I had the screen, just needed a fitting. The bloke who came round from the glass company was "on his lunch break". He wasn't really an old car nut, but was interested. His branch manager was quite happy about it as long as it wasn't in his face, thought it was good PR and his blokes would be at it anyway! Maybe its just the way people round here are, I quite often find people more than helpful on little jobs and getting parts and handing out advise. [i know its not my good looks and charm, so it must be them :) ]

Mike

Hi

In the end I used Autoglass to supply and fit a new screen

I was told I would have to wait a week for their "old boy" to return from holiday as none of the other blokes could do it.

He put the glass in the seal (new one from Moss) and then inserted the finisher. He then strung it in with no problems

A couple of weeks later, I got a chipped screen, but luckily Autoglass repaired free of charge thanks to Towergate

Nigel

Interesting and thanks.

I have been telling everyone to put the finisher in first, but got a lot of argument on here for doing so.

I have actually tried it both ways. Obviously its a pain pushing the finisher in at the end BUT its actually easier to fit the glass when the finisher is in because the rubber keeps in place better.

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

It's in! Moreover it's in one piece. This is mostly down to an acquaintance who used to be in the motor trade and who had the Snap-on hook for coaxing the rubber around those top corners. Phew.

Onwards to the next source of aggro.

(null)

Hello,

I recently, (a month ago), had a new screen supplied and fitted to my 4A by National Mobile Windscreens. The total cost of supply and fit was £104.00. Really nice people as well. I took the car to their workshop but they would have come to my home if I had wanted them to.

Graham

cannot understand why its so hard to fit, screens new are £80 ish put the rubber seal around it, put fairy liquid in the rubber slap the lot on the screen frame, tape it all together around the steel frame, to keep it from shifting, top middle and bottom, with the electrical single wire cable in the groove then wind it in steadily. works a treat.

I did one on my 4 a few years ago following Stuarts advice even using a big rubber hammer. It went ok and was not as difficult as I thought it would be but there were a few scary moments. Having said that if I could have found someone round here to do it for me I would have as I hate working with glass

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

cannot understand why its so hard to fit, screens new are £80 ish put the rubber seal around it, put fairy liquid in the rubber slap the lot on the screen frame, tape it all together around the steel frame, to keep it from shifting, top middle and bottom, with the electrical single wire cable in the groove then wind it in steadily. works a treat.

What can I say Pete, your experience is different to mine. On a count of two screens I have a success rate of 50%. I wish I could have got a screen for GBP80, there was a deposit of GBP35 on the crate which is uneconomic for me to return. Never mind though. Onward.

Edit: no fairy liquid for me, it contains salt. KY did the trick. I doubt that single electric wire has anything like the strength in tension that nylon braided rope does. If it breaks you're back at square one and getting a partially fitted screen out to begin again is where it all went wrong for me first time around.

Edited by peejay4A