Restoration

Hi Guy's

Later this year I am going to attempt a body off the chassis restoration on my TR6, so I will be looking for loads of advice from all you experts.

My 6 is a late model 1975 the tub and panels are all in reasonable condition, the only bad bit is the boot lid rear edges are these repairable or is a new lid likely ? I would like to keep the original if possible.

The chassis has had a few welds in the past.

Talking of original the colour of my 6 is magenta, what are your views of changing the colour ? do you think it is a good or bad idea or just personal choice ?

year of manufacture 1975

chassis number CR 64570-0

body number T.3581/CR

engine number CR/004494-HE

colour MAGENTA

trim BLACK

Nibbo ( Nigel )

Good luck with the project Nigel. Just about anything can be repaired depending on your skills. The rear edge of the boot is a closed section but even these can be repaired by cutting away metal to give you access, making the repair and after rustproofing weld back in the sheet metal to complete the closed section.

I happen to have a soft spot for Magenta and over here it is a crowd puller but in the end you have to live with it.

DSC_0001.jpg

Talking of original the colour of my 6 is magenta, what are your views of changing the colour ? do you think it is a good or bad idea or just personal choice ?

I think you're either a magenta man or you're not. I'm not, but from a value/resale point of view I'd be surprised if Magenta offers any advantages. That said, if magenta floats your boat stick with it - it's your car to enjoy.

Good luck with the restoration.

Bill

Hi Nibbo,

Restoration - whatever you think it will cost, it won;t, it will be more - but don't let that put you off. You will find things that need sorting extra to the original list.

Have you got a good selection of tools - decent drill, andle grinder, compressor(nice to have), spanners, sockets, MIG welder etc

Overalls, gloves (rubber and welding)

Speak to your local group to see if anybody has any special tools that may be needed.

Boot lid - it may be quicker/easier to source a good replacement but as Stan says repairing is possible. Can you weld? if not, you have a problem, but not insurrmountable.

Colour - Magenta is a great colour. If you like it keep it. If you don't then change it. It's your car you can do what you want.

Roger

Thanks for the support so far, The colour Magenta has grown on me since I purchased her last July from Classic Chrome down in Richmond " London " the price wasn't too bad for the condition she's in £8500 including delivery.

Roger a good idea to get in touch with the local group for help and advice, I have a brilliant work shop, my father-in-law kept battery hens back in the days when it was not quite so controversal Edwina Curry put him out of business but thats another story, anyway I have converted one of the buildings into a work shop 100ft long 20ft wide 3phase supply unfortunitely it's not high enough for a lift so have put a pit in with proper steps, electrics and air. I can weld and have got gas and mig also a very large compressor/tank and grit blasting facility.

Back in 1999 I restored my TR7 grit blasted to bare metal complete strip down renewed every thing that needed replacing and it's still looking great it's a 1981 DHC with a stage 2 head tubler manifold and sports exhaust, although I do like the 6 better.

When I work out how to put pictures on here I will post some, oh yes I also own a 1947 Fordson Major E27N Tractor which I occassionly show down at the local steam museum on opening days.

Nibbo

Thanks for the support so far, The colour Magenta has grown on me since I purchased her last July from Classic Chrome down in Richmond " London " the price wasn't too bad for the condition she's in £8500 including delivery.

Roger a good idea to get in touch with the local group for help and advice, I have a brilliant work shop, my father-in-law kept battery hens back in the days when it was not quite so controversal Edwina Curry put him out of business but thats another story, anyway I have converted one of the buildings into a work shop 100ft long 20ft wide 3phase supply unfortunitely it's not high enough for a lift so have put a pit in with proper steps, electrics and air. I can weld and have got gas and mig also a very large compressor/tank and grit blasting facility.

Back in 1999 I restored my TR7 grit blasted to bare metal complete strip down renewed every thing that needed replacing and it's still looking great it's a 1981 DHC with a stage 2 head tubler manifold and sports exhaust, although I do like the 6 better.

When I work out how to put pictures on here I will post some, oh yes I also own a 1947 Fordson Major E27N Tractor which I occassionly show down at the local steam museum on opening days.

Nibbo

Nibbo, what part of God's very own county do you live in, I'm between Stowmarket & Bury. You probably come under the Abbot & Stour club.

Hi I'm from Leiston, near Aldebugh and Sizewell on the East coast, I am an Instrument Engineer at Sizewell Nuclear Power Station !! for my sins.

Nibbo

Hi Roger,

Yes I know I'm a lucky guy to have been given my shed, there are 3 of these 100' x 20' sheds, as said I converted one for myself another two for my brother-in-laws they are into vintage tractors, crawlers etc and the fourth which is the biggest 100' x 30' which is used as a communal shed for our small holding eqip, we have 8.5 acres of soft fruit, strawberries,raspberries, tayberries,goose berries etc. we are just about to open May bank holiday a 5 CL camping and caravan site on one acre. It would be a great place for a classic car rally / get together in the future, with toilet facilities etc.

Nigel ( nibbo )

Hi Nibbo

I hope your resto goes well.

The colour is down to you - forget the resale bit - some say Magenta has no advantages for re-sale as a colour, but many buyers are also keen to have a car with original paint, so they'd try and knock you on that aspect too.

The "car of the show" at Harrogate last summer was a very smart Magenta TR6, and very nice it was too - so I'd go with that and wish you good luck with the project.

As Roger said, whatever you think it will cost, add a lot more and anything less spent than that is a result !!

Good luck Pal

Cheers

Rob

DSC_0001.jpg

Good luck with the restoration Nigel, but try to repair the boot first as repros are much lighter and have a tinny sound when closed; although you could use some sound deadening material - I like Magenta, but on someone else's TR6.........

But oh dear, can anyone spot the mistake in this photo and after going to all that trouble too? - one of my pet hates!

Cheers

Andrew

It's a pity you need to take the body off but it's better to do it right than regret doing half a job later.

Re colour - Magenta went through a phase of being unpopular and it doesn't look great in photos even now but in reality - it is stunning. You would be crazy to change it. You see wanted ads for Magenta but very few other colours.

I think a colour change would devalue it.

Good luck with the restoration Nigel, but try to repair the boot first as repros are much lighter and have a tinny sound when closed; although you could use some sound deadening material - I like Magenta, but on someone else's TR6.........

But oh dear, can anyone spot the mistake in this photo and after going to all that trouble too? - one of my pet hates!

Cheers

Andrew

Its missing its mud flaps ???? ;):D:D

Dont tell me the flag is upside down.. My buddy with the Topaz TR6 will love that. This Magenta guy is his arch enemy at car shows and now he will have something to poke holes at.. Stan

Spot on Stan, the way it's presented is a sign of distress, maybe your pal will care to mention it........................ :D

Sorry Alan, nothing as exiting as a lack of mudflaps - but that's easily resolved! B)

Cheers

Andrew

I like magenta as it's a colour of the era, mine's damson, another colour of the era and I'll not be changing it when I get round to painting it, you only need to look at modern cars which only come in one colour, silver, to see what I mean.

So Nibbo, as several other people have said, it's your car and your choice but I would keep it in period and in it's original colour.

Good luck with the restoration, keep us up to date with your progress.

Best Regards

Graham

Just insured my Sapphire Blue TR6 (formally Pimento Red) and was charged an extra 40 squid :( - changing the colour is classed as a modification - robbing bar stewards!! :ph34r::angry:

Keep the original colour, as Graham says

Another Graham!

Just insured my Sapphire Blue TR6 (formally Pimento Red) and was charged an extra 40 squid :( - changing the colour is classed as a modification - robbing bar stewards!! :ph34r::angry:

I take it you're not with Towergate on the TRR Insurance scheme Graham as you appear not to be a member - if insurance companies charged for every 'modification' to our cars we couldn't afford to insure them outside the club scheme!

Who are you insured with?

I suggest you join the TRR, not least for a insurance scheme with Towergate and TRAction.

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, just had 10 days off work getting our caravan and camping site ready for opening next weekend, it's called Apple Field !

So I have just caught up with all your emails.

Ta for the support, I will do a picture update of my progress once I start and you have convinced me to keep the origonal colour

as I am quite fond of it, my other 10% calls the TR Blanche after her dearly departed auntie as it was her favourite colour !!!!

Nigel " Nibbo "

I've been called Nibbo since primary school, Parker pens and all that !!!!!