revington rolling road

From what i learnt on saturday its £75 per hour , not sure how many runs that would give you, it all looked ok on the demo,

but i didnt use it myself,

cheers,

Laurence,

ps i think you would also have to add the dreaded VAT to the above

I have had my Tr6 on Revingtons Rolling road many times, with Carl.

He takes the car out for a spin before and after the session.

Usualy prior to my trip to the International, i have my Tr6 booked in

for a check up and any adjustment to Mu on the Rolling road.

Cant recall the cost, things i try to forget.

Cheers

Guy

Probably best to contact Carl or Neil at Revington TR direct, but at the open day on Saturday I recall Neil Revington mentioning half a day assuming the car was in ok mechanical condition to start with e.g.tappets adjusted, MU and/or distributor not buggered etc, etc. So budget for something like 4hours x £75 + vat = £360.

Bill

Edited by badshead

Mark,

Whilst I haven’t used the rolling road I saw it in action on Saturday using a TR5 to demonstrate it - but just remind Carl to take the handbrake off before he tries to take it up to 2,000 rpm through the gears – the smell of burning brake shoes and clutch isn’t nice………..

That aside, Revingtons charge £90 (inc Vat) per hour for the rolling road and £60 (inc Vat) per hour for labour should anything need doing thereafter. Although a certain amount of tweaking will be accounted for during the rolling road session. But it’s unlikely you’ll get it resolved within an hour, but you never know?

However, before the rolling road session Revingtons will ask you if you are confident your engine is in good condition/tune and they will offer to check it as you need to start from a known base-point - there is no point running tests on the injection system if the fault actually lies in an engine running out of tune.

Yes, it could get rather expensive as you may need to allow for at least two hours on the rolling road and costs for parts and labour as required – back to Neil’s (ntc) piece of string analogy.

Cheers

Andrew

hi guy.

are we talking hundreds, and do they find something wrong everytime .

cheers mark

I would agree with what others have said, it will depend on how the car is.

In my case the engine was built by Revington, and the rolling road sessions were to

tweak the Mu after the engine was run in and also after i have put some miles on it .

My mechanicals were therfore known by them.

I think a call to Carl or Neil would be usefull.

Cheers

GUY

Mark

It is obviously is not running right so allow double if that is the case,good luck ;) the guys I use will tell me if something is wrong after first run and then it is your call to take it back home and sort it yourself first,which IMHO is how it should be :ph34r: then back for setup

Hi Mark,

first prepare your car properly, don't just do the fools rush in exercise. Whatever breaks is down to you, not to the rolling road operators.

Nothing to do with Revingtons, but only few years back I had to look over a chap's recently acquired TR6 after it had been taken to a reliable rolling road for a little tweaking - after less than 2 hours it had a blown head gasket and needed a gearbox and diff rebuild to boot.

The proud new owner had taken the previous owner's reassurances of a recent comprehensive full service at face value, and in turn assured the rolling road chappies that the car was fully serviced and ready to rock'n'roll.

However big the cooling fan on a rolling road installation, it is not the equal of a 70mph airflow passing over the car. So everything gets hot, as in very - engine, gearbox and diff alike.

In this instance, the engine cooling system was in dire need of flushing, and it should have had a new filter when the oil was changed by the DPO. Both gearbox and diff were low on oil, and it had probably been there for 25 years. Net result, the engine cooked very swiftly, warping the head across cylinders 5 and 6, circulating crud loosened by heat bypassed the filter and trashed the bearings. Meanwhile both gearbox and diff bearings cried enough under the heat build-up and lack of effective lubrication.

Obviously the rectification work added up to thousands, rather than hundreds of pounds. The owner was all too keen to blame the rolling road chappies. In my view, having seen the state of the engine, gearbox and diff once stripped, the owner might well have had a case against the previous owner, a private seller and all too clearly a lying toerag. I couldn't see any blame landing on the rolling road operators, our hero had signed to the effect that he was entirely happy with the condition of his car, and accepted full responsibility for any consequences.

An expensive lesson. Don't even think about putting your car on the rollers unless you absolutely certain that you have adequate cooling and adequate lubrication. And of course, that the fuel and electrical systems are in A1 condition.

Cheers,

Alec

I also would love to hear some more feedback from people who have had done this at Revington's. It looks and sounds good (all except the cost - and I have no doubt it is at least 4 hours as Badshead said). Anyone else out there prepared to comment on the results?

Q

PS: That's a horrible salutory lesson Alec. I nearly S--T :o myself watching my car on the RR at Malvern in 2010. If I do the Revington RR MU tune, I will take the precautions you mentioned.

Edited by Quentin

from what alec says the disadvantages could outway the advanatages, not had the car long dont know if i want to risk more expense after having the box rebuilt. i get a slight hesitation at low revs when pulling away, if you drive it quick its spot on.

thanks for all the input. mark..

from what alec says the disadvantages could outway the advanatages, not had the car long dont know if i want to risk more expense after having the box rebuilt. i get a slight hesitation at low revs when pulling away, if you drive it quick its spot on.

thanks for all the input. mark..

Marki,

Slight hesitation at low revs and ok when driving faster,ie throttles open.

I would suggest its possible that your butterflys are out of sync or not balanced, ie not opening together.

Not a difficult job , but you would need a syncrometer.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=22793

IMHO

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

After my engine got fitted with a flowed head,headers and fast road cam, I took it to an oldtimer rolling road in South Wales(@40quid an hour) to measure the torque and power curves.

It chewed the pinion. Which meant a diff job. Soon after I had to do the clutch. And as the layshaft was also a bit iffy, so that also needed doing. Totally agree with earlier posts. The car needs to be fundamentally strong for a proper rolling road session with 3-4 runs. But I cant agree that we have to pay ridiculous prices to get a reading of what the car currently does. Unless you want your MU to be calibrated on the spot.

Sarajit

PS: Very few road TR6s do 150+bhp that are claimed from after market bolt-ons. Reality bites.

I often wonder why so many Trr members queue up to put their Trs on the rolling road set up at the International.

I have no idea who they are and because of this it would be the last place i would stick my Tr. B) However

not heard of one going bang yet, maybe this year..

I am happy to use Carl @ Revington Tr s Rolling road, he knows my car.

My thoughts

Cheers

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy

You know my feelings about that and I have said it before on here ;) ego trip :D true bhp is found on a engine dyno... RR should used for setting up under load

Neil,

I couldnt agree with you more, my car only goes on a rolling road for tunning and thats it.

I recall seeing the faces, unhappy people coming off the rollers at Malvern, getting there bhp figures, considerably

less than they thought. Total waste of time in my view.

Cheers

GUY

On Neil's advice I had my TR6 sorted out at Dennis Vessey's rolling road near Hull last year after the International. He did an excellent job, from balancing the butterflies to setting up the 123 ignition and optimising/ adjusting the MU.

It took him and his lads about four hours, but what a result! At very reasonable cost he really transformed the car and did'nt stop untill he was sure I was completely happy with the result.

Cheers,

Tim

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Just back from a trip to Revington so I can give up to date view. My CR was running reliably but if booted from a standstill would lurch as if from fuel starvation also I have fitted Phoenix manifold and electric fan and K&N plus Pertronix so the mu needed matching. The thottle on my car is rubbish. The first thing RTR do is ask questions about the car and then Neil (who rallys TRs )road tests it. Guy suggested I should not go with him :) I had previously asked for new throttle system before they attemp tuning. Prior to tuning Carl tested the fuel pressure from my Bosch pump which proved inadequate and was the probable cause of the lurched starts. Therefore new pump also prior to tuning. Finally Carl performed his magic and even with the high vacuum of a CR got everything spot on thr refreshing thing is you are welcom to to stay around and watch. The rolling road was at the end of the afternoon. Wow not for the faint hearted as others have said on this subject if not needed to confirm mods then avoid the temptation at 4500 revs it does result in an Italian tune up. RTR were extremely carefull I was happy withe feel of the throttle as modified CR cars produce so much vacuum once cracked the butterflies want to open luckily mine was not so bad (due to the 6 branch). 17mb instead of 19mb. The new throttle is eminently drivable and now the car is stonking to drive. I cannot recommend RTR enough great job superb result. Watch out CPs there's a CR about that may worry you :) Pete PS RTR rates are currently £75 on the rolling road else £50 per hour (bloody good value IMHO)

In the late 90th my car was on the , call it Dyno or Rolling road at Sigma Engineering. Neil and Peter did the setup for the EFI on my TR6. It took a little more than 4 hours and I paid 400 pounds.

Not expensive if you consider that Neil invested a full afternoon in it, including the drive to Sigma and back.

In 4 hours my 6 managed to bring the around 3k litres of water of the Dyno to almost boiling temperature, that's what I call under load :o

Neil and Carl belong to the most kind and reliable people I know in the sector and in so far they have my full confidence, :rolleyes:

• My 6 wasn't running too well and was very temperamental at the bottom end. Having checked ignition, plugs, vacuum, injectors etc. I decided to bite the bullet. I was wary, having seen other cars on the RR at the International being tested for power but I was not to worry. It was running weak at tickover and Carl explained what he was doing as he went and it was very much a process of setting up the MU. A 2.5 thou adjustment to the datum track transformed the car and it is now going really well. As I had checked lots of things beforehand it was quickly identified where to look and so it was £200 well spent! Alan