good morning,

does anyone know why some rear lens`s have the codeL669,and some code L799... i can see what the difference is,but there must be a reason.

also will there be any difference to the backplates ?

cheers,

conrad.

The main body is the same but the 5 lens is different having the "target" shape in the indicator.

Stuart

Conrad,

The answer according the period Lucas parts catalogues is as follows :

The L699 lens was fitted to all TR4 and TR4A's and this has a circular pattern to the indicator and brake sections.

The L799 lens was only fitted to the TR5 and TR250, the only difference being that each part of the lens still has the outer circles, but each is infilled with a pattern of vertical lines.

Regards, Richard

dear all ,thanks so much for your answers,and the pictures are very helpfull....i am rebuilding a tr5 and i also have one of each...these seem to be very expensive.

there is a new pair of tr5 lamps.L799 on ebay,bidding is at £200 at the moment....is that the going price ?

all the best,

conrad.

Its only the lenses that are different and there is the problem as they are very hard to come across. There was a company in Australia doing repros that were pretty close to original looking though needed a bit of careful filing to remove excess flashing from the mouldings but unfortunately they no longer make them. So its careful combing of autojumbles or expensive ebay items Im afraid.

Stuart.

dear all ,thanks so much for your answers,and the pictures are very helpfull....i am rebuilding a tr5 and i also have one of each...these seem to be very expensive.

there is a new pair of tr5 lamps.L799 on ebay,bidding is at £200 at the moment....is that the going price ?

all the best,

conrad.

Lucas originals - they will likely go for more than £200.

The price seems even higher when they are listed as

Aston Martin as well as TR4.

£200 isn't too bad a price considering the rarity of them.

Seems a bit strange, though, that they don't have the wires

coming out from the back. An Aston variation?

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

thanks for the pictures and advice stuart,and everyone else.

as i have already realised,i will have to dig deep if i want to make my car as original as possible,so autojumbling i go.....

cheers,

conrad.

Off topic Stuart, but how do you illuminate your rear licence plate?

Pair of these now, not fitted in above picture..http://www.ebay.co.u...=item483b2f2252

Stuart.

DSC04700.jpg

Edited by stuart

I have one Americian Spec L799 Rear TR250 Lens with Red indicator, possibly 2 if I can find the other one. The one I have is used but very good with no scratches or marks it is a genuine Lucas part. Open to offers if anyone is interested, if not it will get lost in my cupboard again.

Update

I have now found the second it has a very light scratch on the indicator but otherwise very good. Offers for the pair. Can send photos

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Off topic Stuart, but how do you illuminate your rear licence plate?

I fitted one TR3A chrome number plate lamp to the end of my number plate for illumination, just a thought.

hi graham,

thats very good of you,

how much are you asking for a good one..

whereabouts in uk are you please.

cheers,

conrad.