Bulb holder fiied to dash

Hi All,

Putting electrics back together.

Heres another item i cant locate,

The bulb holder that fit into the wrinkle finish metal dash for the gauges

ref 070066, i have either lost or they werent there.

These bulb holder seem to be NLS, so is there a modern equivalent that will fit ?

Thanks

Guy

Guy,

They turn up on ebay occasionally - I bought two that way. The ones in my dash were well and truly knackered. You are welcome to my old ones if you are really stuck but I warn you they aren't much good.

Rgds Ian

PS Assuming I can find where I put them.

Guy,

They turn up on ebay occasionally - I bought two that way. The ones in my dash were well and truly knackered. You are welcome to my old ones if you are really stuck but I warn you they aren't much good.

Rgds Ian

PS Assuming I can find where I put them.

Thanks Ian,

Will see how things go.

This is what was in the dash, and fits perfectly. one only, does it ring any bells,

ie what is it from

DSC01577.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Thanks Ian,

Will see how things go.

This is what was in the dash, and fits perfectly. one only, does it ring any bells,

ie what is it from

DSC01577.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Guy,

Sorry I thought you were talking about the plastic orange & red generator and indicator units with the chrome bezel not the bulb holders. You can buy bulb holders from vehicle Wiring Products:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

They need a bit of fettling to make them fit but they do work. Also, I thought that Moss did some but more expensive.

Rgds Ian

Guy,

I will look in my electrics box. I think I have a couple of these items somewhere.

Am I correct in saying you are after the ones that have a single wire and earth themselves through the dash panel rather than the two wire items used for indicator or ign warning light (these are usually part of the loom). Same as the ones in the big instruments.

Cheers

Peter W

I think the correct ones that you are after are the type with the circle of Paxolin board with a spring contact up the side of the bulb with a circular ring the bulb screws into for earth and a single wire feed to the centre contact on the back of the bulb. They were available new a while ago though pretty poor quality from what I remember. http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2014&SortOrder=42 I may have a couple in my spares and will have a look in the morning.

Stuart.

Thanks for looking Pete.

Graham the bulb holder i have pictured doesnt look like the one fitted to my dash headlight warning switch.

The thing i am thinking about is , how bright are these bulbs that light the dash, as there not connected directly to

the gauge( unlike Tr6) do they light the gauges sufficiently, i have already considered removing the dash rheostat

from the lighting circuit.

Are the originals bright enough?, maybe i should run a test before i finaly fit the wrinkle panel, simply

just connect this lighting circuit to a battery. Had planned to pop down to my local factors today with

the bulb holder and see what they had in stock, unfortunely got bogged down with a few meetings

today.

Thanks for your continued thoughts.

Cheers

Guy

Guy

The moss ones are US repair your own. Yes they do work however condensation can be a problem make sure they there are sealed I hope you have left enough room after the wrinkle finnish

Hi Neil

I repaired the holders in the speedo and tach, however the fitting i have, (pictured in a post above somewhere) is all i have

for the centre gauges, so i need to find a suitable replacement.

All gauges fitted nio probs in new wrinkle finish, thanks again for the fuel gauge Neil, very kind of you, another beer or three

i owe you. :)

Cheers

Guy

Its not a big deal but want it right

Guy, I have one spare of the correct original type that you are welcome to.

Stuart.

photo0339.jpg

Hi Stuart,

Great Stuart Thank You,

Thanks to Uvc166, and i now have a pair.

Stan picture speaks a thousand words, yours looks to of been a tidy job, compared to some i have seen.

The Power of the Forum

Cheeers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy

The strength of illumination to the centre instument cluster depends more on the transparency of the plastic inserts within the gauge, If the inserts have yellowed the level of illumination will be poor, if the plastic is clear you may wish to retain the rheostat or alternatively you can fit blue neoprene covers to the lamps. (bulbs are what you plant in the garden)

Kind regards

Andrew

I must admit I have never had a problem with the level of illumination on sidescreen instruments, much better than later cars.

Stuart.

Which sidescreen TRs had a rheostat? Both my TR3As had only an on/off panel light switch. Can't see why you would need to dim them and many people remove the rheostat from the later TRs anyway.

Brian.

Panel rheostats were available from Ts 43000 in US, was on Uk cars post 60000

cheers

GUY

Well, we learn something new every day.

When we bought my current TR3A (TS78xxx) in 1977, it had a custom dash with loads of extra gauges, switches and lamps, so I guess one of the numerous previous owners dispensed with the rheostat. Here's the empty dash (without the extra ones in add-on panels underneath):

TR2-3ACustomDash.jpg

Edited by BrianC

Brian.

Panel rheostats were available from Ts 43000 in US, was on Uk cars post 60000

cheers

GUY

Not so sure it was as 'clean' as a 60,001 changeover.

Both my TR3As, around TS 56,000, had them, I'm sure.

I wouldn't normally remember such details from so long ago,

but I do seem to recall the rheostat acting more as an on/off

switch due to poor contacts!

AlanR

Well, we learn something new every day.

When we bought my current TR3A (TS78xxx) in 1977, it had a custom dash with loads of extra gauges, switches and lamps, so I guess one of the numerous previous owners dispensed with the rheostat. Here's the empty dash (without the extra ones in add-on panels underneath):

TR2-3ACustomDash.jpg

Impressive Brian. Did it come with a user guide explaining what all those switches did ?

... I do seem to recall the rheostat acting more as an on/off

switch due to poor contacts!

AlanR

Am I correct in assuming the panel rheostat is the same as the heater rheostat (apart from the knob)?

Impressive Brian. Did it come with a user guide explaining what all those switches did ?

No, but there was a severe smell of electrical burning on the initial drive home in the dark from Wokingham, so the first job was to rip out the dash and replace it with a standard one and replace a lot of melted lighting circuit wires. Only just in time I suspect. Nevertheless, it was an interesting mod and I've often wondered about the previous history of this car. It had clearly had a hard life with some evidence of front and rear shunts in the past, so perhaps rallied.