Bosch Petrol Pump

Hi All,

Got my refurbed injectors from Neil installed along with a new coil, plugs, points, condeser and red Dizzy cap and the car is running like a well oiled sewing machine.

The problem I am experiencing at the moment is a very noisy petrol pump, it is whining like a goodun, you can hear it all the time when you are driving " thought it was the wife at first ha ha " but seriously should they be very noisy, the PO mounted it where the Lucas pump was mounted is that correct ? I have read that the Bosch pump should be installed in the spare wheel well is this correct ? do you think the pump is mounted too high and it is working to hard ?

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nibbo alias Nigel

Hi Nibbo.

The Bosch pump needs to be mounted lower than the bottom of the petrol tank - as it does not have good suction abilities like the lucas unit, it needs as much help as possible with gravity feeding the flow of petrol to it.

It might also be an idea to upgrade the petrol pipe from the tank to the pump from the original 1/4" (6mm) to the larger 3/8" (10mm) - as this helps flow of petrol to the pump.

My pump is mounted on the outside of the boot - above the left hand chassis rail, an it runs reasonably quitely - only hear it on first start up.

Pat

I mounted my Bosch pump where the Lucas filter was mounted and like Pat upgraded the pipe to the tank to 3/8th dia pipe, I have had very little trouble with the pump only once with a low level of petrol less than a 1/4 of a tank and 35 degrees C in France on my way to Classic Le Mans last year - lesson always keep the petrol tank above a 1/4

n5.jpg

Nibbo,

Are you sure it's the pump? I get noise from mine sometimes and it's the feed pipe to the PRV that's resonating, if you move the pipe about whilst it's running and itquietens down, you need to restrain the pipe to stop it vibrating

tom

What's a Bullet filter? One advantage of the glass sided filter is that the odd stuff coming from the tank can be seen. As my aluminium tank has been on the car since the 1990s (an early Moss tank, unfortunately lacking those handy baffles), I think the material must be coming from the fuel stations' equipment.

My Bosch pump is quieter when the filter is clear and when I don't let the tank fall below a quarter full.

Regards

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your replies.

Les I only have the orig. paper filter before the pump.

I will have to up grade the pipe from the tank to the filter then from the filter to the pump, and move the pump to the spare wheel well, I suppose I could swop the pump and filter positions ! do you think that would help ? I havn't tried supporting the feed to the PRV yet, am working nights at the mo and got up too late today to have a play so will try tomorrow,

Many thanks for your help

Nibbo

Hi Roadster,

Sorry, I don't know how to post a link but www.fuelsystem.co.uk/filters.pdf will show you the Bullet filter. I agree it was good to see the crud in the glass walled filter but mine used to block every few hundred miles. No problems at all with the Bullet and I was able to choose the diameter of the input and output pipes so they exactly matched the rest of my pipework.

Regards

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a matter of interest which pump is everyone fitting these days as I read somewhere that the 0580-905-910 is now discontinued, I've seen a Sytec OTP019 quoted as an alternative. My intention is to fit a swirl pot at one side of the well and the pump/filter unit at the other side with a bullet filter in the enlarged tank outlet before the swirl pot, thus all fuel entering the system has to pass through the bullet filter and giving an unobstructed flow to the pump.

Anybody got any thoughts on this plan?

Regards

Graham

I have got the prestige set up, about 2 years old, with the later PRV, bigger tank outlet, and upgraded electrics. At the moment it has started to whine very loudly for the first 10 miles of a run.I have taken apart the multi coloured filter and checked the paper which is clean. I have now got to go back to malcolm and see what investigation he next advises. The position by the way is the usual one low in the wheel well. Perplexed David.

I had the exact same problem as David. Mine was a brand new Bosch pump from Prestige in June 2010 installed as recommended. On wheeling my car out this spring, it began sounding like a strangled cat and then the engine would die through lack of fuel. New filter did not solve the problem. I could easily replicate the sound and the effect by cutting the fuel supply to the pump (mole grips on rubber hose from tank). Badshead kindly leant me his pump and I had no problem. Prestige replaced my pump and all was fine again. Could this be an over wintering ethanol issue or just bad luck? For the avoidance of doubt, my pump was plain faulty.

My Bosch pump was very noisy and I found that the engine would cut out stationary at the lights after a brisk run. Turned out to be the PRV. Neil cleaned and recalibrated this and the problem has been solved - both the noise and the cutting out.

David

• 4 weeks later...

I too have come to the end of my patience with an extremely noisey Bosch pump purchased from Presitge (along with all the other replacement Lucas PI components). It's never cut out but after a couple of hours running it sounds like the strangled cat prevoisly mentioned. Tried everything, relocating outside, changed filters, washing out of fuel tank, new fuel lines etc etc.

Pump assembly currently back with Malcolm - so watch this space. The irony is that i had 20 years of trouble free (and quiet) motoring on the prevoius Lucas pump installation incl. summer trips to southern italy (but that was in the days of leaded fuel)