TR4 rebuild, North West.

I thought I would join Roger in the rebuild posters, just got the chassis back and the suspension too, you can tell from the colours that they were done by 2 different firms, but I like it and we have made a start.

Collecting the shell from the strippers tomorrow and delivering it to the painters for a blow over in primer, am hiring a trailer to remain legal, I really hope it doesnt RAIN.

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

not for the purists I know.

Pete was that your shell at Ribble Technology? I was up there dropping some panels off for my 5 and there was a 4 waiting to be dipped. If it was were you happy with the results?

Mike

no real adverse comments, cept for the goading by AP regarding the darling blue party but I shall not be drawn. (Barstards to quote JM!)

Yes Mike, it was my shell at Ribble Tech, this must be the future for removing rust, underseal body filler et all.

They didnt dip my shell, thats only for serious corrosion, it just goes in the oven, 800F computer controlled so that all the oven area is the same temp.

ITs heated up slowly and cooled the same way, The remaining powder deposits are then cleaned off with a steam cleaner with a low percentage of Phosforic (S) acid, this takes around half an hour, then a phosphate is applied which has a bluey purple tint to it, this protects the shell for a few days against surface corrosion.

I was fortunate today, it was dry, the trip home dried it out a treat, they had air dried all the seams too by the way.

Straight to the paint shop after calling home and taking some pictures, where it was unloaded went straight into the oven, heated then etch primed.

It couldnt have been better planned, here are some pics before the oven.

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

I might add that the price was half that of companies darn sarf who the owner told me charge £800+ for such a job.

All my panels cost £182. the shell £430.

This is a small company who are loathe to advertise for they are busy enough, but soon are to expand next door, they are also pleasant people to deal with, just dont try to Email them it doesnt work, Johns the man to talk to, and the lady in the office is so helpful too.

Pete,

that shell looks superb - you're storming ahead with this job. I wish I could find a company like that down this way it's the next job I have to tackle.

John

Pete, you have no idea how tempting that is....totally illogcal but tempting!

Landrover/trailer/body tub & panels - return trip to Preston x 2 = fuel and 2 x days of my time - with the price you've quoted above it's not a totally unreasonable suggestion to get the job done properly but logic dictates there has to be something closer. Unfortunately the ones I've spoken to so far down my neck of the woods seem more skilled in blasting a tractor chassis & iron railings with grit & then powder coating which doesn't fill me full of confidence for my tub & panels.

John having looked at your pictures in Photobucket, your shell doesnt seem to need any serious treatment, it looks very good.

Picked mine up this morning from the painters noe in etching paint a duller grey you wouldnt find, I need a bigger garage!

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

Nice job there Pete , HMS Triumph is looking very grand in her new livery,

there must be a Frigett moored off the coast of Duckinfield with a rusting FUNNEL :huh::D

you havent had a shippment from Liam Fox by any chance have you ;)

no seriously a great job ,I'v not even started on Vanessas rebuild yet, probably next spring

Cheers Gordon

Edited by Gordon Bayley

Gordon,

Your suggestion of a frigate with a rusty funnel made me smile.

I work in a dockyard where we refit naval vessels. The paint that we use is exotic two pack stuff and years ago when our material control wasn't as good as it is now we used to regularly have surplus at the end of a paint job that would have to e disposed of for quality reasons. The standard method of disposal was to open the tins and mix them before they went to landfill and for a while we would offer it to employees FOC. I suspect there are a number of sheds that ended up painted grey.

Don't ask me how we dealt with the problem of the toxicity, I never took up the offer and we don't do it any more.

Rgds Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress, both floor sections now in, along with the inner sill which I welded onto the floor sections before fitting the floors in place.

1 sill was bad at the bottom, but the top fine, so I am cutting a new sill to fit as per pic and butt weld it in place, I tried to measure it accurately before cutting, but used a spray can in the end fingers crossed.

The other sill was only corroded at the front end so isnt really a problem, I failed with the spot welder and did the 7.5mm plug welds.

Bulkhead and battery box next, then pull out the dents in the rear valance, may need a new front one sadly.

DSC05412.jpg

DSC05410.jpg