Hi,

Being a newby to TR's and all things Triumph, I wonder if someone can set me straight regarding colours.

I'm looking at buying a TR3 or 3A here in Australia. Both cars are green. Both vendors claim BRG, but one is obviously not BRG and appears to be a lighter green.

Is this correct? Was there more than 1 green in the colour range?

Attached is a photo of the car in question, and it is about this colour. I have seen shots of it in company with other BRG cars and it stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm not concerned about the quality of the paint as I know its excellent....its just whether of not its correct that concerns me.

Thanks & Cheers,

Rob

post-9971-0-69155700-1308010594_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-32109800-1308010777_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-69155700-1308010594_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-32109800-1308010777_thumb.jpg

Both cars are green. Both vendors claim BRG, but one is obviously

not BRG and appears to be a lighter green.

Is this correct? Was there more than 1 green in the colour range?

Attached is a photo of the car in question, and it is about this colour.

I have seen shots of it in company with other BRG cars and it stands out

like a sore thumb.

Hi Rob,

I think there were two (at least) Triumph shades of BRG.

The shade used on the earlier cars was a little darker than

that used on the later 3As, but both were darker than the

shade shown in the photo.

Then there's the shades of BRG used by Jaguar and more

again used on other marques.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Rob

IMHO the first question is " does the colour referred to in documentation match" i.e was it Racing Green, British racing green from the factory.

Second question is "do you like either colour"

Third question "is the price acceptable"

Who cares if it "stands out like a sore thum" It would be your thum, and the question is whether you can stand the pain of it. But if you seek acceptance and are worried if your peirs will scoff then perhaps your peirs are not ones you want or need. Any real enthusiast will not give a Rats A** about the colour but revel in such a beautiful colour combination.

The cars are an absolutely wonderful combination and look to be very well restored.

My January 1954 TR2 is an even lighter shade of Green than is shown, but computer screens do not always give a true indication of colour but definately a very light green. It was referred to in the heretige trace as Racing Green and this was when BRG was not even a factory option.

It will be painted and trimmed as the factory and I will relish it because it is different. I would also suggest that the Hertige trace cannot even be totally relied on as My heretige trace gives one set of information but the Standard trace has a different set. Same info but a different wording, hance my initial Racing Green, British Racing Green.

Far too many non-original red cars and this one would attract more interest because of it's difference. In my view the cars in the less used colours are much higher prized. Red, white, and blue Pah! "Ten a penny" GO ON, get the green one, you know you want to.

There are a huge number of variables to British racing green but all referred to as BRG so do not be too hard on the descriptions.

IMHO either of the cars look fantastic and would be a joy to own, the only problem would be keeping the punters from drooling over them.

Best of luck and make the choice that you like, it's your money and to hell with any comments.

Rgds

Rod

As well as the variants of British/Triumph Racing Green some cars were Apple Green and I suspect there were variants of that too.

Even more confusing is that quite a lot of cars have been resprayed Conifer which was introduced with thr TR4. Mine has been this colour most of its life, although it left the factory as BRG and we found traces of the original colour when it was rebuilt.

Always a good talking point at shows or even with admirers in a car park - everyone has opinions on what constitutes 'true' BRG, especially if they have seen it on Jags, Astons, Bentleys or even MGBs.

Hi Rob,

My TR3a is a December '59 build (chassis no. TS 63xxx). When I bought it, it ws red but when I started to dismantle it, I found that underneath it was dark green. The original build records describe it as BRG.

It is difficult to be certain from looking at photos but both of the cars in your pictures look lighter than the BRG that I have had made up to match swatches of metal cut out from areas where I have replaced rusty bits on my car. My car when it is finished will be a very dark green with almost a blue tinge to it. If you want, I will take a photo and post it here (recognising the limitations of photos!).

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

a reminder re the limitations of photographs and computer monitors . . . .

Some of you will know this technique, probably not all ?

The old trick of acquiring a paint colour card from the paint shop or diy store. Then go online to the paint manufacturers website and find the same card. Compare the physical and the virtual. Then fine tune the colour settings of the monitor for the closest match to the colour card in your grubby paw.

Amazing how much difference that can make to accuracy of colour rendition on the screen.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Does it matter what colour green it is? Do you like the car?

If so what is the problem? Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers John

Hi john390,

Owners do get satisfaction from knowing that their TR is 'right'.

(OK, in their eyes).

I think I can understand your hobby!!!!

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Ian,

a reminder re the limitations of photographs and computer monitors . . . .

Some of you will know this technique, probably not all ?

The old trick of acquiring a paint colour card from the paint shop or diy store. Then go online to the paint manufacturers website and find the same card. Compare the physical and the virtual. Then fine tune the colour settings of the monitor for the closest match to the colour card in your grubby paw.

Amazing how much difference that can make to accuracy of colour rendition on the screen.

Cheers,

Alec

Though if youre a bit colour blind disregard that answer. ;):lol::lol:

Stuart.

Gentlemen,

"Thank you" for answering my question.

You're right, I know I want it and considering its not always going to be with other BRG cars, I think it'll be OK. AND it maybe correct....who knows, therefore, who can argue?

Once again thanks for your views.

Rob

Peter,

Thanks for the comment on my signature.

When a fella's in his 60's and knows the horrid disease runs in the family, I think its very appropriate.

It obviously provides some entertainment, hence your remarks.

Cheers,

Rob

PS; You probably don't need to be told this but that's a very nice TR4 you've got there.

That green isn't 'correct' and never will be, but it looks good so what the hell ? Too damn much 'correctness' around . . . .

If some brumbie doesn't think it's right, just tell him he's colour blind and he should have listened to the teachers when they told him what would happen if he didn't stop . . . . ;):D

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Sometimes you can't just decide on a car on its paint. The paint color on the TR3A that you have shown is non-stock as Alec has stated. If you search TR-Register Forums, you will find TR3 and TR3A paint chips. I might even have a copy. I have a TR3 and a TR3A. The TR3A is in better condition, but if I would buy another triumph "TR3", I would go with a 3A. But it is all what you like. Anyway you look at it, you will be happy with your choice.

JDB