Well lunch came and went and the fluid is still nice and safe in its bottle.

The front brake pipes need changing along with the discs so that was my goal (it's odd how my goals keep changing in the blink of an eye).

Suprisingly the front offside brake pipe and brake disc put up no fight at all.

Tomorrow I will do the other disc, front nearside pipe and the cross pipe.( well, that's what I would like to do. I haven't a clue what fate has in store).

The brake pads that came out were Ferodo 'Formulae two-four'. Are these any good. They looked quite unused but I'm sure they are old.

Today has been the first day that I've needed to take pain killers for my iffy hip, I feel absolutely knackered - roll on Monday.

Roger

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

The brake pads that came out were Ferodo 'Formulae two-four'. Are these any good. They looked quite unused but I'm sure they are old.

They used to advertise those in Playboy, so they might be a bit hard :lol::lol:

Ivor

Ah here you are Sue and Rodger,, hiding in this part of the Forum that I rarely venture,

You may or may not know we've just got a 4A , but it's in need of a little bit of feckling, :huh:

a northern terminology ;)

See you at Arigate,,,,,, #4

next to the pie and black pudding shed :lol:

petrol is still 2/6 per gallon

Today was a good day.

The front brakes/discs all sorted and bled. I use a one man bleeding system this entails me and Sue. Technically one man (and a woman).

I bled the clutch at the same time (not exactly the same time but when I was under the car (about 10 minutes later).

The 'pieces of resistance' (not sure on the French) was that the car is now off its mega ramps and back in the garage. The front drive now looks clean and tidy.

Tomorrow I would like to attach the bonnet. At present I'm relying on gravity to make it look as though it is in place.

Roger

Today I had an erection :blink: This would have made Bill McAlpine's eyes water.

It was an erection of grand design.

The soft cover I have over the 4A wihilstr the 4 is in the garage is causing a problem with the paint work where it rubs.

So I have erected a construction that holds it away.

40mm waste pipe and a few fittings and bobs your uncle.

Tomorrow we have a day at the coast and on Saturday the frame will be finished.

Roger

Grrrrrr :angry: the day at the coast was spent in a traffic jam. Never made the coast.

However today the frame for the car cover is finished. It appears to do the job. I wonder what a heavy downpour will do to it. :o

I nearly forgot. When I pushed the car out of the garage this morning there was a wet patch coincident where the rear nearside tyre was residing. Brake fluid - oh dear.

The pipe union was OK but not so the slave cylinder. Off with the hub and cylinder.

The new seal that I put in the other day had caught its lip and turned it backwards - thus no seal.

The wet patches grew during the morning - not in size but in number. The tyre rolled through the puddle and left two big patches on the drive. I then knocked over the small pot that was catching the drips from the undone pipe.

My method to get it off the drive block is to use a blow lamp - it evaporates a treat (I'm sure there is a reason for not doing it this way).

Roger

Edited by RogerH
  • 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

I'm back.

I am now sporting a very sexy right titanium hip joint.

Not sure what happened during the op but I completely lost interest in getting back to the car.

Any way the last couple of days I have been trying to gather interest. Went to B&Q and bought a spray can of Rustoleum hammer finish paint - useless.

Today I bought a spray can of Hycote wrinkle finish from Moss - see the TR3 forum (Instrument panel) for the results - very good stuff. Have fun applying it.

Earlier today I phoned Jon Skinner asking where all my trim and hood had got to. I haven't needed it due to lack of interest but it would be nice to know where it is.

Anyway the chap at the end of the phone didn't know. During my painting experiments with the crackle paint a bl**dy great lorry turned up. I couldn't think for the life what could be onboard. Guess what, yes you've guessed it. It was my trim kit

Hopefully this will get me going.

I have been intending to get the engine going for the past couple of weeks. It is basically all sorted except the oil gauge is not fitted (instrument panel being painted). I know I could have jury rigged it but I simply didn't have the interest. Either that or I'm a bit scared of starting the engine. Most odd!!

Off to Cornwall this week-end so next Monday we start in ernest - maybe!!

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

on the success of the crackle painting I decided today to attack the windscreen. I removed the glass and rubber seal to get the frame painted.

Removing the glass from the screen went very easily and foolishly I thought the reverse process would be equaly easy - alas, not so.

I started off by putting some screen sealer in the groove of the seal where the glass goes. This ensured that I got covered in sealent very quickly. There is no point if taking your time in getting covered in sealant.

After about ten minutes of struggling and getting sealed I decided to remove the sealant and use washing up liquid. This was a great improvement. I was still getting nowhere but my hands were really clean (and slippery).

Now you may think that as I had undertaken to install the glass and seal into the frame that I would have some idea what I was doing. Well; unfortunately not so.

I had heard about looping string around the seal groove etc but that didn't get the grey cells going. So my initial plan was to use a thin spatula type instrument (small screw driver) to ease the seal around the glass. This may have worked if the glass was anywhere near the rubber seal but it wasn't

Anyway, to cut a long story short I tried and tried to get the glass into the seal but no!.

So, my question is what is the secret to fitting the glass into the seal?

I may have to resort to getting a man in.

Roger

Put the rubber around the glass and then a length of cord (Preferably waxed) around the rubber in the groove that fits into the frame with the two ends at the bottom. Position the glass so the bottom of the rubber and glass is sitting over the bottom lip of the frame in the centre and with steady pressure applied to the outside of the glass and slightly down wards pull the string inwards bringing the lip of the rubber in as you go and slowly work your way round pulling equally on the string. You may need to give the glass some good smacks with your hand to persuade it in. If you wish to use lubricant then use KY jelly as washing up liquid contains salt which wont do your rubber any good. Depending on the fit of the rubber (Some are better than others) apply sealer afterwards.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I fitted mine almost exactly as Stuart described except I used no lube and it all slotted in quite easily. Getting the seal onto the screen was probably the hardest bit and just took some perserverance. I didnt use the lube as I thought it'd make a mess of my new dashboard!

Paul

As usual Stuart is on the money, easier with 2 people one on the outside to push the screen into place while the other gently removes the string from the inside. You will scare yourself sh**less with the amount of pressure/slaps you have to give the screen ot "gently " ease it in. I also found a small spoon handle helpfull to ease the corners of the rubber seal in where it gathers up a bit on the lower corners. If you are worried about dropping it on the paintwork a couple of strips of masking tape below the windscreen opening helps

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi Folks,

many thanks for your comments and suggests/ideas. I really wish I had asked the question before hand.

This mornng I shall commence battle with my tub of KY at the ready.

Did you hear about the newly married couple who didn't know the difference between KY Jelly and Putty.

Their windows fell out.

Roger

Sometimes great/good things happen - winning the premium bonds, the lottery or a cuddly teddy at the fair.

Sometimes sh*t happens - like buying a new windscreen, fitting it to the car and whilst carrying out a small adjustment it decides to shatter.

Was it me; no, never. I gave it a little tap and the end of the world happened..

I had tapped various parts of the screen and all was well. I tapped the top right corner and wallop. I actually felt like crying.

Why did I buy a new window. The old one had a very small chip on the inside, out of the way. Perhaps god is paying me back for being profligate.

This afternoon I shall now fit the slightly chipped glass and be thankful if all goes well.

Roger

Blimey Roger what the hell did you tap it with. I have used a 4lb rubber hammer before now to settle a screen in and never had a problem like that. Was it a laminated or toughened one? You could get the chip in the old one repaired by one of the windscreen companies.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart,

I used a 1lb nylon faced hammer on the rubber seal.

The crack was at the point where the screen curved around. It must have been stressed.

Never mind, not the end of the world. I shall leave it for a few days to let things calm down.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Ah that would do it. Nylon facing is very hard and being small concentrates the blow in too small a space. The rubber one I use has a 4" face so spreads the load and is a lot softer. You will know for next time. ;)

Stuart.

Hi Roger,

Welcome back ,I know how you are feeling,I did just the same fitting a cooper s screen in the 60's not once but twice!!

As you say walk away ,with the aid of the new technology you have had fitted, and come back to it later ,with the benefit of Stuart's advice.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Folks,

after yesterdays disaster I couldn't raise the interest to do anything on the car. Not sure what to do next.

I would like to fit the glass myself but how many will I destroy before the wind stops blowing through.

Perhaps next Tuesday will cheer me up (busy up till then).

Roger

Roger if you really dont fancy doing it yourself if the frame is off the car then take it to your local Autoglass/Mobile windscreens etc and get them to do it. Probably only cost about £30.

Stuart.

I spoke to man in the Autoglass workshop.

After picking myself up off the floor I commented that £189 was a lot of money to fit a screen in twenty minutes if that.

He looked at me. Didn't speak just looked.

I looked at him.

He eventually said that's what it is.

I replied 'actually that's what it isn't' and walked out muttering something about 'theiving bastards'

I came home and had a quick google (they can't touch you for it). I found a likely company (Windscreen London) snappy title I thought.

Phone the 0800 number - a slightly asian voice answered '£75, anytime that suits you'.

Thank you says I. I'll call back Monday.

Quick phone call to TR Shop. 'Hello Richard.You know that screen I bought on Wednesday, well...'; 'You haven't broken it says he. 'Actually yes, along with the original. Not my day. Anyway have you got another'.

So tomorrow I get another screen and let the best that India can offer to fit it.

Tip of the day - There is money to be made in the windscreen trade.

Roger