What RPM should I be doing at 70 MPH in O/D?

The engine may be different but the drivetrain is all standard 1971 TR6 with standard wheels/tyres so my RV8 should be turning at the same speed as a six.

Does anyone know what a car with a 3.45 diff should be doing at 70 as opposed to a 3.7 diff at the same speed?

Thanks

Simon

So 3,750rpm is a bit high then?

Bloody hell, what diff have I got fitted?

Actually that may not be exactly right, The car has a jaguar electronic tacho fitted so I'd like to get that checked first. Even so, I wonder if I do have a 3.7 diff fitted?

Simon

Checking the diff ratio is a 5 minute job which anyone can achieve - see link for a concise guide

http://www.mgparts.co.nz/diff_ratios.html

As for the tacho, again a 5 minute job which anyone can achieve - into your friendly local MoT bay and hook the car up to the emissions tester, which will give you a far more accurate reading than the average tacho . . . . compare your tacho, and compensate the dashboard reading as required.

Cheers,

Alec

So 3,750rpm is a bit high then?

Bloody hell, what diff have I got fitted?

Actually that may not be exactly right, The car has a jaguar electronic tacho fitted so I'd like to get that checked first. Even so, I wonder if I do have a 3.7 diff fitted?

Simon

Measure ratio by jacking one rear wheel off ground, fit axle stand, turn prop shaft by hand one turn, measure rotation of elevated wheel.

Speeds also are ratio specific- see dial lettering - PO might have fitted non-standard.

I don't have O/D but my original Triumph hand book says...

'Engine Speed at a road speed of 10mph O/D Top = 386 and 471. So times by 7 = 2,702 and 3,297.

A hand written note I've added top speed once (when we were both young) at 5,750 RPM (down hill at night) at 21.21mph = 1000RPM = 121.96 mph.

The car has a jaguar electronic tacho fitted so I'd like to get that checked first.

Is the tacho from a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder Jag?

If its from a 6 then your V8 would generate 133.333 rpm (signal)for every 100 rpm (actual) (8/6). So your indicated 3750rpm at 70mph would really be 2812.

Just a thought ;)

Is the tacho from a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder Jag?

If its from a 6 then your V8 would generate 133.333 rpm (signal)for every 100 rpm (actual) (8/6). So your indicated 3750rpm at 70mph would really be 2812.

Just a thought ;)

Good point, I'll check.

Thinking about it, there aren't many (any?) V8 Jags are there? only the daimler sp250 engined cars. Apart from the new cars of course.

Good point, I'll check.

Thinking about it, there aren't many (any?) V8 Jags are there? only the daimler sp250 engined cars. Apart from the new cars of course.

Once I'd got my glasses on! I could see that the tacho DOESN'T say "Jaguar" but Jaeger and it DOES say 8 cyl. I'll be looking for CP series tacho at some time in the future to convert so I can fill the hole properly.

I'll try the wheel/prop thing today

Simon

Edited by simonjrwinter

Once I'd got my glasses on! I could see that the tacho DOESN'T say "Jaguar" but Jaeger and it DOES say 8 cyl. I'll be looking for CP series tacho at some time in the future to convert so I can fill the hole properly.

I'll try the wheel/prop thing today

Simon

That is one from a Daimler V8.

Stuart.

OK checked the diff.

One wheel up in the air, back wheel turned through two revolutions, the prop turns just under 3.5 times

3.45 diff?

Simon

Yup.