Spare wheel size - again

Hi all.

After reading the comments in the forum regarding what size fits and does not in a post 60000 TR3A spare wheel compartment, I went for a 48 spoke wheel plus a 165 tire (while fitting 60 spoke and 165 in the other four wheels).

However, it seems that the wheel does not fit. Tire pressure is around 2 bar. The boot bottom is not bent, and the problem seems to be in the compartment opening. I assume that the wheel hub must face down.

What I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for your comments.

Jesús

Edited by jbenajes

Hi all.

After reading the comments in the forum regarding what size fits and does not in a post 60000 TR3A spare wheel compartment, I went for a 48 spoke wheel plus a 165 tire (while fitting 60 spoke and 165 in the other four wheels).

However, it seems that the wheel does not fit. Tire pressure is around 2 bar. The boot bottom is not bent, and the problem seems to be in the compartment opening. I assume that the wheel hub must face down.

Jesús

You would be better off with a 155 instead and 2 bar is way too much pressure.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi all.

Jesús

Does the center hub hit on the opening? My 165SR15 Michelin XZX, on a disc wheel, goes right in albeit with nothing to spare.155s, of course, would be a much more comfortable fit. Tom

Hi all.

Jesús

Hi Jesus

The number of spokes makes no difference, but the hub must be down, then you can put your tools in the centre. I use a 155/80 R15 tyre as a 165 section is too high, although as you I use 165/80 R 15 as the running tyres, but I keep my spare at 2 bar as well to allow for it to

slowly deflate over time, although up to now it has maintained pressure.

Dave

Hi All,

My post of 26/11/09 to TR3bGeorge advised that a 60 spoke with 165 Michelin fitted easily into the slot on TCF2650 which is obviously post 60000. As the late Professor Julius Sumner Miller would say on this subject of fit or no fit, " Why is it so?"

Surely there cannot be so much variation in original build specs. Perhaps it is as a result of rear end shunts in some cars???

Regards,

John

Thanks for your responses.

I see that I made a mistake with the 165 tire. I guess that even deflating it to a usable pressure would give a difficult fit.

Well, I can now buy a 155 or even a narrow 135 tire (as used in the citroen 2cv).

Any comments against going to a 135 in the spare wheel?

Jesus

I think that if you had a puncture and were to fit a wheel with a 135 tyre, you would have a good chance of being spotted by the police and stopped, whereas a 155 is scarcely noticeable. Not only that, but if it were on the rear axle, it would keep your differential busy!

However, on my TR2 equipped with 48-spoke wires (in the 1960s), I eventually wore out the 155 Michelin Xs and fitted 165 Goodyear G800s (a revelation in the wet!), and the spare went into its compartment fully-inflated. Perhaps the cars do vary somewhat - after all, re-tooling occurred from time to time, the most obvious being at TS60,000.

Ian Cornish

My usual thoughts on this matter.....

If you cannot get the spare wheel in the spare wheel compartment and therefore need to use a smaller tyre on the spare wheel to make it all fit, what are you going to do if you do get a puncture and then find that the removed wheel and tyre wont fit in the spare wheel compartment, which is an absolute certainty?

My solution was to remove the boot floor above the spare wheel compartment and then place the spare 72 spoke wire wheel, with its 185/70 tyre, into the spare compartment from above. The whole thing is then covered by a bespoke carpeted board held down by dzus fasteners.

The whole thing is very neat and provides a great solution to this problem. It also means that I can easily store all sorts of other clobber in and around the spare wheel when touring.

David

I think you will find that any 4.5 inch wheel will go in the spare wheel compartment if the tyre is deflated a little (more or less) dependent on the size.

I carry a good foot pump in the spare wheel and deflate the tyre a little to make it fit. In the unlikely event of a puncture it takes a bit more exercise to get back on the road!

Quite what I then do with a flat 72 spoke 5.5 inch wheel is another matter! Leave the wife at the side of the road comes to mind....

Clive

Hi David

If the tyre is punctured then it should go in if we are to believe the deflated tyre theory. Your sounds a very practical solution, but bang goes your originality.If your boot is empty, the punctured wheel goes in there, if the boot is full, transfer some of the contents into the spare wheel well and some more behind your seats so the wheel goes in, once repaired you are back to normal with a max. 165 tyre.

Dave

If I had this problem, which I don't as I use standard steel wheels and 165 tyres, or wanted to use wider wheels and tyres, rather than cutting the boot floor or having to worry about stowage of a punctured tyre, I think I would opt for fitting a similar size spare on the bootlid (suitably secured against liberation of course). Apart from ensuring the car is legal and safe to drive at normal speeds, it also gives the 'rally look' and provides even more space for luggage, tools or spares in the spare wheel compartment. I guess this would make it a good option for long-distance touring, even with standard wheels and tyres fitted.

Edited by BrianC

As others TR owners, I have a 155x15 in the spare wheel compartment of my TR2, and after one (rear) puncture during a rally, it proove to work very well.

Chris.

Hi i had the same trouble getting my spare into the hole i did it with a bit of force but 1st i tied a old safty belt to the back of the spare so i can pull it out eaP1050416.jpgsier seems to work for me !!!!

I think that if you had a puncture and were to fit a wheel with a 135 tyre, you would have a good chance of being spotted by the police and stopped, whereas a 155 is scarcely noticeable. Not only that, but if it were on the rear axle, it would keep your differential busy!

Ian Cornish

Ian, if that was the case how is it that moderns get away with their tiny space savers, albeit of the same diameter. They are appreciably smaller than normal low profiles and look ridiculous but they must be legal?

If you are using steel wheels on an early TR then a Volvo V40 has the same PCD, and V40 space savers are readily available in scrap yards. Not sure of the offset though.

Modern spacesavers have a maximum speed rating (50 mph, I believe) and are intended to get you home or to the nearest tyre outfit. I am sure that if you were driving a car on a spacesaver at 70 mph, the police would (quite rightly) nick you!

Ian Cornish

An afterthought: if it's a wire wheel, it would require an inner tube - would it be possible to find an inner tube for a spacesaver tyre, and would a garage fit it? I'm told some places can be funny about wire wheels and inner tubes.

Perhaps someone has tried and can comment.

Ian Cornish

Tyre fitters now seem very reluctant to fit inner tubes in any modern tyre, not sure why. No doubt someone on here knows the answer.

In sugggesting a V40 space saver I did say "for Steel wheels" I use one on an old TVR where a different space problem prevents the bonnet closing with modern tyres.

(it is mounted on the chassis at the front)

I used to use a TR2 wheel as the spare (again same PCD) but the space saver is that much smaller and lighter to heave out from under the bonnet.

You need to be careful with the profile of wheel nuts with non standard wheels to ensure that they are secure.