Tyre suggestions

I have a new set of 5.5x15 knockon mini lights to go on my 3A. These came a from a London Tr shop and I would be interested on any experiences using these wheels and what tyres are the minimum width I can safely use to avoid either body alterations or scuffing. Prefer to stick with 165's if possible.

As these are for winter use mainly an all round tyre would be the preferred one rather than summer only.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Rod, generally speaking a 5" rim is the widest a 165 x 15 tyre is ideal for. When S-T introduced a 5.5" rim during TR6 production, they went up to 175 or 185 x 15 tyres.

My tyre supplier insisted I fit 185 x 15's to the 5.5" rimmed 72 spoke chromed wires I purchased for the TR5 when I had it. His reasoning was to have as much rubber on the road as possible.

On another car where clearance wasn't an issue, I've got 195 x 14 tyres on 5.5" rims.

Lately, among Triumph, Healey and Jag clubs there have been many recommendations for Vredestien Sprint Classic tyres for their excellent roadholding abilities.

Regards,

Viv.

In my experience wider Tyres usually do more harm than good on old cars that weren't designed for them. They make the suspension harsher, they make the steering heavier and the car more prone to being steered by road surface changes and they make handling less predictable on bumpy roads. Therefore I try and stick as close as I can to the original size.

Race tracks have better surfaces than roads, so it's slightly different.

Ash

I totally agree with Ash. However, if you need replacement wheels, it's pretty well impossible to get usable steel wheels in original sizes. So the only option is wider steels or wires from later cars or alloys (which many prefer for aesthetic reasons anyway).

I asked a question about this recently and one useful suggestion (probably from Alec as usual) was to fit the narrowest tyres possible on the wider rims. There is always a small range of legal tyre widths and profiles for a given rim width, so if you want to avoid steering, handling and over-stressed components, I guess that's the way to go.

However, be aware that speedo readings will almost certainly be affected one way or the other when changing tyre sizes and you probably need to inform your insurer (at least for any significant change from standard).

Hi Rod,

I have been using Firestone F560 165x15x80 tyres on 5.5J wires & Ali for the last 12 years with no problem.

The speedo is apprx correct (within 2MPH at 50MHP) and they fit well in the wheel arches.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Has anyone used a site called FEBISHOP which sells tyresfound as I found Vredstein Sprint classics at 100.07euros each including free delivery!!!

Trustworthy site???????????

link:

http://en.febishop.eu/tyres/vredestein/sprint-classic-175-70-r15-86h

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Rod,

Like Roger, I have used the Firestone tyres for a number of years and found them excellent on my 3A. Others do say the Vredestein are good, they also do a snow tyre, if you need such a thing:

http://www.kingdavidtyres.co.uk/Vredestein%20Classic%20Tyres

You may get a better price by Googling (unless your New Year's Resolution is to spend less time on the internet :rolleyes: ) Don't forget the spare can't be bigger than a 155.

Cheers

Mike

I have a new set of 5.5x15 knockon mini lights to go on my 3A. These came a from a London Tr shop and I would be interested on any experiences using these wheels and what tyres are the minimum width I can safely use to avoid either body alterations or scuffing. Prefer to stick with 165's if possible.

As these are for winter use mainly an all round tyre would be the preferred one rather than summer only.

I recently tried my TR3a with 72 spoke 5.5 Wires, ex TR6, with 165/80 x 15s and found it noticeably more stable and no problems at all. I have also found the Vredestein Sprint Classics very good indeed, so that's what I would go for. I am in the process of swapping mine around now.

Clive

Has anyone used a site called FEBISHOP which sells tyresfound as I found Vredstein Sprint classics at 100.07euros each including free delivery!!!

Trustworthy site???????????

link:

http://en.febishop.eu/tyres/vredestein/sprint-classic-175-70-r15-86h

Rod,

The link is for a "175" tyre, the "165" seems to be not available from this supplier :unsure:

Chris.

Hi Viv,

I'd beg to disagree with your comments re TR6 tyre/rim fitment.

TR6 fitment was always 5.5" width rim, not introduced during TR6 production, and PI cars always fitted with 165 tyres - the rims having been widened from TR5 spec as a result of testing between Triumph and Michelin. There is no problem in using 165/80 (or 165/82) section tyres on 5.5" rims, indeed that is the correct rim width for minimising slip angle and maximising grip of the 165 XAS tyre - which like most performance tyres requires the sidewall to be relatively flat, vertical, rather than bellying out on undersize rims.

185/80 fitment was restricted to carburettor cars, and whilst it may have been perceived as a cosmetic improvement, and a slight improvement in ride comfort, the larger tyre fitment detracted from handling and roadholding alike. The perceived priorities for the European and North American market differed . . . .

Hi Rod,

if you use the Forum search facility you'll find enough tyre discussions over the years to keep you reading for hours . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Here are a few more questions rather than answers. Not-with-standing all the problems that one may experience with wider tires such as heavy jiggy steering (we have fitted EPS so the heaviness isn't an issue) what is the physical size limit that one can fit to a modernised Sidescreen? Is there someone out there who has used 6J in a Sidescreen without interference? We are currently building a 'fast road' with a normal TR3A chassis (not a TR4 chassis) so in theory there is plenty of room. The suspension has been lowered which may give less room but also has been stiffened which should allow for less variation in ride height. Do centre-laced wire wheels move the tire further out towards the wing and is this an issue? Roger Williams says that a sidescreen can easily accomodadate a TR6 5.5J wire wheel(185x70x15) and I wonder would a 6J also fit with slightly lower profile, say 195x65x15?

Regards,

Martin

Here are a few more questions rather than answers.

I think you'll find, if you take Alec's advice and read the myriad discussions on tyre width, that you'll find the answer is certainly not fit the widest rims and/or tyres that you can squeeze in. Still, each to their own and if you believe size matters, then go ahead but be prepared to be disappointed and out of pocket.

Hi Martin,

if you put "tyres" into the search box for TR2/3/3A Forum you'll find an awful lot of previous discussion in respect of wheel and tyre fitment possibilities for sidescreen cars, the pros and cons, etc etc. I reckon most angles have been covered over the years, and regular contributors can't raise too much enthusiasm for repeating themselves yet again . . . . :rolleyes:

That's not meant as a sarcasm, by the way, it's just that there is rather more in-depth technical stuff stored here than is the case with many motoring Forums - more than a few folks with decades of experience who've made the effort to offer their thoughts. Damn good resource ! :D

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Martin,

if you put "tyres" into the search box for TR2/3/3A Forum you'll find an awful lot of previous discussion in respect of wheel and tyre fitment possibilities for sidescreen cars, the pros and cons, etc etc. I reckon most angles have been covered over the years, and regular contributors can't raise too much enthusiasm for repeating themselves yet again . . . . :rolleyes:

That's not meant as a sarcasm, by the way, it's just that there is rather more in-depth technical stuff stored here than is the case with many motoring Forums - more than a few folks with decades of experience who've made the effort to offer their thoughts. Damn good resource ! :D

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks Alec and Brian,

Good points and I will go through the previous discussions.

Regards,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...