TR-2 silencer - source?

I would appreciate some help in finding a correct 18 inch silencer for my TR-2.

It turns out that an 18 inch silencer as original on the early TR-2s is not available from the standard TR suppliers. I think the dimensions are 18 inches length by 5 inches width by 3 inches depth, with an oval shape and centered inlet and outlet holes to accommodate a 2 inch tailpipe. Does anyone know of a source? Walker brand distributor says they don't have it. Seems like a strange thing to be so elusive. I discussed this in an earlier thread but I seem to be stuck.

Dan

I would appreciate some help in finding a correct 18 inch silencer for my TR-2.

It turns out that an 18 inch silencer as original on the early TR-2s is not available from the standard TR suppliers. I think the dimensions are 18 inches length by 5 inches width by 3 inches depth, with an oval shape and centered inlet and outlet holes to accommodate a 2 inch tailpipe. Does anyone know of a source? Walker brand distributor says they don't have it. Seems like a strange thing to be so elusive. I discussed this in an earlier thread but I seem to be stuck.

Dan

Dan,

Joe Richards came up with one when he rebuilt TS1, although that was a few years ago. His email is on the following TRA webpage: TS1LO The PDF link at the end gives the details of the car and the rebuild.

Tom

Hi There,

I have been looking at Cherry Bomb silencers, both mild steel and now stainless.

They can be got with many different lengths and diameters, with mainly centre in and out pipes of 2 " or 2.5" dia

Just google Cherry Bomb, UK There is even a great Youtube video of factory, but I have lost the link.

Areal favourite with hot rod fans it seems.

I was wondering though with a centred 2" pipe system how much more diameter can you get away with under the floor?

Will a round 4" dia silencer be OK or a 5" even?

I'd imagine these are straight through systems though so not too quiet!

Cost about £80 to £120 for just the silencer , stainless steel though.

I'm putting together a system with a 4 to 2 to 1 stainless exhaust manifold bought cheap on Ebay, along with length of 2" copper pipe for the rear , witha 2" chrome autojumble tailpipe trim

I need the linking 2" pipe from the manifold to the start of whatever silencer I can get.

Tried to order some Phoenix bits from Moss, but my order has been heard of no more

Regards

BillG

While my 1958 TR3A was in its first life, I was a poor student and when the resonator blew a hole in it, it was cheaper to replace the resonator (2nd short silencer) with a straight pipe (well it's almost straight) as the TR2 parts were still readily available back in the early 60s. The part no. and the design length for the TR2 first pipe was never changed as far as I can remember.

So if you install the rear pipe as I did, it should still sound like an original TR2.

• 1 month later...

To update my effort to get the correct sound from my TR-2 by going to the original 18 inch silencer, none of the TR suppliers carry the 18 inch version, and muffler companies like Clark also do not carry the 18 inch version with the correct pipe placement. I contacted Double S company and they offered to make be a bespoke silencer, but I first had to provide them with precise dimensions and drawings and of course I had none. Surprisingly, it was not enough to simply say "Make it just like the 24 inch muffler but make it only 18 inches long". Also, the cost was many multiples above what a basic 24 inch muffler would cost. So I was stuck. I contacted Joe Richards (who restored TS-1LO), and he suggested that I could make one from an off the shelf 24 inch silencer by cutting out a section to make it 18 inches, and then welding the pieces together at the rear seam. So that is what I want to do, figuring it will give me an excuse to practice cutting and welding on a part that will not be too visible, and I suspect that any competent effort should look pretty decent if I am careful.

If anyone knows what the inside of the muffler looks like in terms of internal baffles or whatever, I would like to hear. Also, if anyone thinks I am going down the wrong route, please chime in. Finally, are there any differences between the 24 inch silencers provided by Moss, TRF, or Victoria British, which are the three I most commonly use.

Dan

To update my effort to get the correct sound from my TR-2 by going to the original 18 inch silencer, none of the TR suppliers carry the 18 inch version, and muffler companies like Clark also do not carry the 18 inch version with the correct pipe placement. I contacted Double S company and they offered to make be a bespoke silencer, but I first had to provide them with precise dimensions and drawings and of course I had none. Surprisingly, it was not enough to simply say "Make it just like the 24 inch muffler but make it only 18 inches long". Also, the cost was many multiples above what a basic 24 inch muffler would cost. So I was stuck. I contacted Joe Richards (who restored TS-1LO), and he suggested that I could make one from an off the shelf 24 inch silencer by cutting out a section to make it 18 inches, and then welding the pieces together at the rear seam. So that is what I want to do, figuring it will give me an excuse to practice cutting and welding on a part that will not be too visible, and I suspect that any competent effort should look pretty decent if I am careful.

If anyone knows what the inside of the muffler looks like in terms of internal baffles or whatever, I would like to hear. Also, if anyone thinks I am going down the wrong route, please chime in. Finally, are there any differences between the 24 inch silencers provided by Moss, TRF, or Victoria British, which are the three I most commonly use.

Dan

Interesting challenge, Dan. You could certainly cut a standard muffler but it might take more surgery than you would like. Here is a typical muffler design: muffler I think it is similar to the Triumph although I have not opened one. You need to remove 6 inches without removing the chambers, (3 from each end? hard to tell). Anybody with a Triumph shop who might have an old one you could play with? Also noticed this when I looked for the muffler picture: thrush stainless It's not quite right, 19 inches with 2 1/4 in and out (I haven't looked at any of the other dimensions nor the cost), but if you can live with the19, reducing it would be a lot easier than cutting the ends off. Tom

Edited by TomMull

Hi Dan,

the original boxes were straight through perforated pipe in an expansion chamber, simple as that. Back in the 70s I did exactly what you're suggesting on my Doretti, chopped 6" off the end of a 24" box and welded the end back on.

First cut through the silencer outer 6" down from the end, then a couple of lengthways cuts through the 6" section, peel back the outer so that you can cut the internal pipe a little farther along, makes it easier to poke through the endplate. Remove the peeled back outer skin from the endplate, and the pipe, weld the endplate and pipe back on.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Dan,

the original boxes were straight through perforated pipe in an expansion chamber, simple as that. Back in the 70s I did exactly what you're suggesting on my Doretti, chopped 6" off the end of a 24" box and welded the end back on.

First cut through the silencer outer 6" down from the end, then a couple of lengthways cuts through the 6" section, peel back the outer so that you can cut the internal pipe a little farther along, makes it easier to poke through the endplate. Remove the peeled back outer skin from the endplate, and the pipe, weld the endplate and pipe back on.

Cheers,

Alec

Yes, of course, the TR mufflers were, and still are, straight through. Much easier. What was i thinking? Tom

Try www.jetex.co.uk or www.ashleyexhausts.co.uk , both have plenty of silencers and pipes and bends , choice of mild or stainless.

Rod

The Triumph Spare Parts Catalogue shows the rear silencer only appearing at TS11385. Prior to that just a long tailpipe. My first TR3A (TS29xxx) had this set-up as did many of the later sidescreen cars, probably to save money when the first rear silencer expired and/or to maximise exhaust note. Mine certainly sounded nice, partially enhance by a length of copper pipe somewhere in the system (can't remember where, but I still have at least part of it if amogst the relics). Go with Don's solution - you won't regret it and you can still claim originality if you are concerned about that..

My TR2 had the 18" silencer and plain rear pipe. I annoyed everyone locally with the noise and gave myself a headache driving with the roof up or hardtop on. Top down it was sort of OK, so long as you did not want too talk with your passenger, hear the radio etc.

I fitted the auxiliary tail box Harmo SU358, from Pete Buckles. That shut it up a bit.

As far as I am concerned the right silencer is the one that does not clout the chassis. The problem has been that for too long reproduction exhausts have been based on the Harmo SU331 (one of the last commercially available mild steel exhausts for real TRs)These unfortunately had the front pipe fitted the wrong way round. The slight kink should be at the rear just before the silencer, not at the front where it ends up in the cruciform. If you look in the old Harmo catalogue the pipe is drawn incorrectly to match the incorrectly assembled silencer.

The best solution (originality apart) was the SAH single rear box style that re emerged as Triumph Tune TT5001. The silencer was a 24 " long chrome tail piped item that was position rear of the axle line. Feeding it was a plain piece of pipe with a slight kink just before the axle, to get the silencer going in the right direction.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

In 2005, I changed from mild steel to stainless steel exhaust system, using Revington's single rear box (which sits behind the rear axle) and link pipe (which picks up the standard exhaust pipe beneath the gearbox mounting). Because I have an extractor manifold, I added the S/S Link Pipe and Y-piece (RTR 2025 & 2026).

Whatever exhaust system one uses, it is advisable to use the TR4-style hanger (130888 and associated clip, 130890) from the gearbox mounting to support the exhaust pipe, as it virtually eliminates the chances of the pipework hitting the inside of the box in the centre of the chassis (see Section A10 of Technicalities CD).

I think most people who have heard 4VC will agree that the car produces quite a purposeful and impressive sound!

I have pasted this from Revington's on-line catalogue (all parts are in S/S):

RTR2009: TR2-4 sports single box system consisting of one rear box and one link pipe.

This system can be fitted to a standard down pipe or, using link pipe RTR2025 and Y piece RTR2026, to a twin down pipe extractor manifold.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Ian and others for the input. I don't think I want to put the silencer rear of the axle, as I suspect that the 18 inch silencer was designed to fit neatly under the chassis, but when it turned out fairly loud a longer muffler was used in conjunction with the rear silencer, which made the arrangement a little tight under there and resulted in rattles or necessary fiddling with the hangar arrangements. So I am hoping that an 18 inch muffler in the correct position will be a neat fit. I checked with jetex and ashley exhausts, but they don't have the right piece. I sent Revington a note and will see what they say. Thanks again for the guidance! I keep telling myself that I am not afraid to cut and weld!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 2long,

A little delayed in response, but I suppose better than not at all. Walker here in Australia can offer exactly what you want under the Lukey brand name. Redback also under the Proex brand. I have researched this for my own benefit recently and can advise that the Proex P/N is A542GP for the 18"x5"x3" glass packed item. I suggest that you peruse the Redback and Walker sites for further info.

Regards,

John

Thanks John:

When I contacted Walker at Viv's suggestion, they told me that their 18 inch muffler only had offset entry and exit holes. But I will certainly try again and see what they say using the brand names you propose. I was getting pretty close to ordering a 24 inch and cutting/wekding it up, but if I can get one that is the correct straight-through style with he right dimensions, that is definitely what I want. Many thanks.

Aloha

Dan

18inch silencer?....bah humbug....I've just reawakened my TR3 (and the neighbours !)and am running it on just the rear 12 inch box (mounted in the centre just behind the cruciform) with a long tailpipe culminating in a flared copper end....what a lovely bark when it hits 2400 revs....will refit the long box temporarily when it come to MOT time. TR now sounds just like I recall them from the fifties, but then what is the point of ageing if one cannot do it disgracefully? BP

• 3 weeks later...

About at the stage of fitting exhaust on my 56 (TS11537) and the stainless system that came with my car has the large muffler discussed here. If the large muffler fits behind the axle, why couldn't the smaller rear muffler be used in the tight space between frame and differential and the larger one at the rear? Although not original, any reason not to try that setup with some straight pipes bent to fit the new configuration?

Cheers, Mike

I'm watching this discussion now for some time and it seems to me that the only source for silencers with the original size is "down under". Is there no other source within Europe?

Johannes

Hi Mike:

Actually, my goal is to get the 18 inch silencer that was only on the TR-2s, so it would not be right for the 56.

For any others following this thread, I ordered the 18 x 5 x 3 from Proex in Australia (thanks so much, John and Viv), and I will report when it arrives. So far, I think Australia is the only place that has this item.

Alec: I feel like I let you down in not cutting and welding the 24 inch muffler, but I really appreciate your feedback and advice. Having a pre-made item is alot easier, and they only charged me $30 US! Shipping, on the other hand, is a different story.

Hi 2long (Dan),

does Proex export to Europe? I would be interested too in buying some of these silecers. Their website does not show any e-mail-adress: Do you have contact data other than their phone numbers?

An idea would be using the 18" in front and another 12" as rear silencer to get close to the original 24"+12"- configuration.

I'm not afraid of noise but want to return home without waking all neighbors up. And I want the have a chance that my wife will drive with me in the TR.....

Thanks & a Merry Christmas to everybody

Johannes

Edited by j-eichert

Hi Johannes:

The early TR2 set up went from the 18 inch muffler to the combination of a 24 inch plus the rear silencer. The combination set up is widely available, but the 18 inch single piece is what is so hard to find. Regarding Proex, I had to call them by phone, and they were great. My 18 inch muffler just arrived. They shipped to Hawaii, they gave me a great price, and they surely can ship to Europe. But there is a catch. The shipping cost by FedEx was crazy expensive. Plus, my package came to me dripping wet, torn open, and the muffler was scuffed up. This was actually a coup since the FedEx delivery folks acknowledged the damage, and I should get the shipping cost refunded. The muffler is scuffed up a bit but really only cosmetic. International shipping is a big problem now as far as I can tell, both in terms of cost, delay and hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 2long,

I was not able to find a 24" muffler with this 5"x3" heightxwidth over here up to now. You can use some round mufflers with 3" or 3 1/2" diameter (Cherry Bomb, Smythies..) but I'm looking for an original (or similar) appearance - do you have sources for an 24"/ 12" x 5" x 3" muffler?

Regards, Johannes

Up to now i will use the large 12" mild steel rear muffler as "stand alone exhaust" for the test drives - may be a bit too loud to return home late in the night...

Edited by j-eichert

Hi Johannes:

I have always assumed that Moss and other suppliers have the standard 24 + 12 inch, 3 x 5 combination set up. Since I was really trying to find the 18 inch piece, I never pursued the later combo set, but perhaps another member has more info? Sorry I could not be more help.

Dan

Hi 2long,

thanks for your help. To all the others who may follow this thread:

Revington told me:

Johannes,

The front silencer on the system we supply is 21"x6-3/8"x3-5/8", oval box fitted 21" from front of pipe. It still needs careful fitting to avoid contact with chassis but is better than the larger boxes

Regards

Bill

------------------

To: info@revington

Subject: Size of exhaust boxes

Hello,

I'm searching a new exhaust system for my TR3A and found out that, at least in Germnay, the typical exhaust system is based on muffler/ silencers that seem to much too large to fit into the frame of the TR3A.

A typical (mild steel) system I have needs to have the silencer modified as it does not fit under the car otherwise.

I wonder if you know about this problem and have a solution for it. In my opinion the front silencer (18" or 24" long) should be approx. 5"x3" wide rather than 5"x7,5".Can you give some information regarding size of your systems and how they fit under the car?

Regards

Johannes Eichert

So at least from their side they are far away from the original sizes.

And I can't imagine that the other dealers (sharing their sources like Falcon) are selling exhaust systems of smaller sizes.

Maybe we should propose them to contact with Proex....

By the way I love the english way to explain problems: "It still needs careful fitting to

avoid contact with chassis " probably means, that you have to cut and/or modify either frame or exhaust box.

Johannes

Edited by j-eichert