Fitting Door Mirrors

Hi Steve,

Mine go on the same way as Andy's. There are some mirrors though, that require a nut to be fitted from inside the door..this usually means taking the glass out (which leads to 'other' jobs)... :blink:

Cheers

Tony

Can door mirrors be fitted without removing the door glass?

Cheers

Steve

Steve, it is going to depend on the style of mirror and the length of the base. Most of the bullet mirrors have a small enough base that they can be mounted on the section of the door that is accessible without removing the trim/window but on the passenger side this is too far forward for the mirror to be effective. In my experience you need a convex bullet mirror on the passenger side, positioned so that the mirror is visible from the driver seat which means mounting it on a section of door that is only accessible from inside the door. Mirrors on stalks or the baby turbo style have more adjustment and longer reach so they may both work mounted on the accessible section of the doors if the base is not too long.

Stan

Hi Steve,

I did it with no problem. I suppose it depends what and how. I used bullet mirrors from Moss with self tapping screws and some waxoil.

Andy

have a look at tex stainless mirrors.they have a plastic base that you screw the mounting plate to.

acts like a rawplug.no metal to metal bits.

you dont have to take door apart or glass out.plus you can put loads of waxoil under the plastic mounting.

fitted 2 to my car 5 years and no problems or rust.

richard

http://www.texautomotive.com/classic_exterior_mirrors.html

Edited by rpurchon

have a look at tex stainless mirrors.they have a plastic base that you screw the mounting plate to.

acts like a rawplug.no metal to metal bits.

you dont have to take door apart or glass out.plus you can put loads of waxoil under the plastic mounting.

fitted 2 my car 5 years and no problems or rust.

richard

http://www.texautomotive.com/classic_exterior_mirrors.html

Yep ;)

Bee's knee's

• 8 months later...

Can I resurrect this thread as I'm looking to replace my bullet/torpedo mirrors with something that 'works'.

My first choice are the Tex Door Mirrors...

Tex Door Mirror Right Hand

Polished Stainless

Anti-Dazzle Glass

Head: 145mm x 90mm - Base: 79mm x 30mm

Fitting: Drill 2 holes 7mm diameter 36mm apart

When I have the door open I can access a single nut which I assume holds the existing bullet mirrors in place.

However, before I order the mirrors I would like to ask:

- is there another nut hidden within the door mount as i can believe that a single nut is sufficient?

- i assume that I must drill an additional hole but can the foot of the new mirror cover the same (or similar) surface to that of the bullet mirrors as there will likely be some outline marking on the door paintwork?

Lastly - does anyone have an alternative option for mirrors which I could 'hot swap' with the existing bullets if the above become too exhaustive!

Thanks!

Beemer

Can I resurrect this thread as I'm looking to replace my bullet/torpedo mirrors with something that 'works'.

Tex Door Mirror Right Hand

Polished Stainless

Anti-Dazzle Glass

Head: 145mm x 90mm - Base: 79mm x 30mm

Fitting: Drill 2 holes 7mm diameter 36mm apart

When I have the door open I can access a single nut which I assume holds the existing bullet mirrors in place.

However, before I order the mirrors I would like to ask:

- is there another nut hidden within the door mount as i can believe that a single nut is sufficient?

- i assume that I must drill an additional hole but can the foot of the new mirror cover the same (or similar) surface to that of the bullet mirrors as there will likely be some outline marking on the door paintwork?

Lastly - does anyone have an alternative option for mirrors which I could 'hot swap' with the existing bullets if the above become too exhaustive!

Thanks!

Beemer

It might be just my luck but every car that I have owned which was fitted with Tex mirrors caused me problems. They are easy to fit but tend to vibrate due not being able to tighten them sufficiently. I cannot recommend them. It's worth the hastle of bolting them on for safety's sake.

Rodders.

If anyone`s interested I have a brand new,unused,boxed pair of Tex mirrors M68990 and M68991 for sale.

Bought them to fit to my car cos I only had a drivers side mirror and wanted a mirror on the passenger side.

The driver side mirror is a 70`s Paddy Hopkirk one and I never thought that I would find a passenger side one,but after 13 years of looking blow me one turned up

the day after I bought the Tex ones so consequently they are surplus.

£30 PLUS POSTAGE

Incidentally my original mirror is fixed with self tappers and after 13 years is still as secure as ever.

If they are not allowed to loosen then the fixing holes will not be enlarged as has been suggested.

Dave

The Tex mirrors give a good field of view and look the part.

There is probably a locating pin on the bullet base in addition to the bolt.

I replaced the useless bullets that were on the car with alternate mirrors. I did not find any ghost marks on the paint, at least none that couldn't be polished off. My problem was the holes that had been drilled for the bullets, and for the previous mirror whatever that was, and finding a mirror base that would cover them. The Tex base was too small.

In the end I used Stag bases with round convex mirrors. However, hopefully you will find the Tex do the job, a lot of people use them.

Ivor

Mirror.jpg

My car has the mirrors they used on Formula One Cars in the early 1970s...made by Sebring they're plastic and fixed on with self tappers...I think they suit the car and look better than big chrome earoles! What do you guys think of em? :unsure:

The Tex ones are fine. They are door mirrors - they fit and stay on.There is also no screw to door direct contact with the "rawlplug" type fitting.

Nick