Hello,

My 1959 TR3A (before 60.000) has its boot lid not fitting very well with the body (see the attached picture). It quite likelly that the wrong shape comes from the boot lid itself, since in the early 90´s, its former owner have replaced the original with this one bought from Roadster Factory in US.

I also heard several times that the ones build nowadays are typically not very acurate when compared with the original ones.

I guess I have 3 choices: buy a new one, buy an used one or carry out the metal work to shape the current one to fit in the body.

For the first alternative, I saw an add at the TR Action magazine of a company called NDM - North Devon Metalcraft (www.ndmetal.co.uk). Their prices appears to be significantly lower then Moss for instance.

Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance for any tip on this,

Regards,

Reinaldo

Hi Reinaldo

When you release the boot lock catch, does the boot lid spring up slightly? If you have to do something radical, then rather go to a known panel beater and have it custom fit to your boot surround rain gully. If you buy another one, there is no guarantee that it will be any better than the one you have. Also I trust it is the boot lid at fault, and not the rear scuttle and wings indicating previous damage.

Dave

You will be amazed how easy it is to bend the lid into shape.

I would remove the lid, apply pressure in the necessary areas and keep assessing the fit.

Tony

You will be amazed how easy it is to bend the lid into shape.

I would remove the lid, apply pressure in the necessary areas and keep assessing the fit.

Tony

I agree with Tony. One push of your knee in the centre and that boot lid will fit. Whatever you do don't spend any more money on bootlids. I'd fix that in a half hour. If your'e not brave enough get a friend who knows how to do it. You'd be surprised how simple it is.

Martin

Hi Reinaldo

When you release the boot lock catch, does the boot lid spring up slightly? If you have to do something radical, then rather go to a known panel beater and have it custom fit to your boot surround rain gully. If you buy another one, there is no guarantee that it will be any better than the one you have. Also I trust it is the boot lid at fault, and not the rear scuttle and wings indicating previous damage.

Dave

Reinaldo,

If it is the rear valance or scuttle you still have little choice other than to fit the boot lid to it, unless you want to get into really serious beating. It would be nice if you could borrow a rusty but straight boot lid to test the fit, they are quite plentiful here in New England. You might also be able to see and or feel something going on from the inside of the valance. Either way, try it yourself as Tony suggests. Good chance of success too, if it's only the curves that need to be adjusted and not much risk here either, other than having to endure the rolling of your panel beater's eyes, if you have to go that route.later,. If you determine that it is the lid, and it's seriously out of shape, I'd spend some time looking for a good used one. There are some around but be advised that they tend to rust between the braces and the skin, particularly at the rear corners and it's often not all that obvious.. Tom

Agree with Tony & Martin. These boot lids do bend without

too much problem. Courage is required more than force.

You would need to bend up the left and edges first so they

don't foul the sides when you bend the centre part into shape.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Reinaldo,

Your boot lid is really quite bad. the profile of the lid does not match the rear saddle or the rear valance, so to me it is the bootlid at fault. Where it needs to be modified is not in the middle but at the two sides where it returns upwards to meet the wings this is stopping it closing correctley and is why the centre is lower than the two outsides. I imagine it takes a bit of force to close.

Trying to bend the lid in the middle will only make the problem worse as you will end up with a lid with a W profile. You should try to ease the two outer parts of the boot up, not easy to do without damaging the lid but it can be done if attacked gently and slowly. Personally I would look at this as a temporary fix while I look for another lid as yours will never be a good fit without a lot of work as it is not the same shape or profile as the hole.

If you know a decent panelbeater then get them to have a look it may involve cutting the existing bootlid and welding in a couple of fillets to get the existing lid to fit

Cheers

Alan

Hi Reinaldo,

Since it's a repro boot lid, and the wings/rear panel/spare wheel cover

all fit well, it is certainly the boot lid that is wrong. Surprising -

TRF products have a top reputation, and deservedly so.

I think you could achieve a big improvement by bending the boot lid

in the right place(s) - a perfect fit with any repro panel may require a

panel beater (and respray).

These boot lids do bend into a different shape more easily than you may

think, but you need to do it off the car to avoid putting strain on the

hinges. You need to bend the edges up first, by bending, not impact.

Once the edges next to the wings don't foul the body, see where you

are with the profile against the tonneau saddle and the rear apron.

The hinge on the right side looks out of alignment. The hinges are handed -

you haven't got two the same, have you? (although I don't think that's a

factor in the overall fit of the boot lid).

Used boot lids are not very expensive - just have to be a little patient

waiting for the right one to come up on eBay. But they are quite heavy,

so shipping to Brazil wouldn't be cheap.

The rest of the car looks very good - the fit of the boot lid must drive

you crazy. It's worth the effort in getting it right.

Is that original blue trim in the car? Looks like it.

AlanR

Dave,

Yes the boot lid springs up slightly.

With all the inputs I got for this post I also believe that the boot lid is at fault, and not the rear scuttle and wings.

Tom

I totally agree with you that even if the rear valance or scuttle are out of the proper shape the best choice would be to fit the boot lid to it.

Alan

Yes, by looking at the gap from one side to the other one can notice what you mention (that the two sides where it returns upwards to meet the wings is stopping it closing correctly and is why the centre is lower than the two outsides)

AlanR,

I agree that since the current boot lid apparently can be reshaped to fit, does not make sense to go to another boot lid and then having to pay a panel beater and respray it (the color would not be that easy to match by the way!).

Interesting observation regarding the hinge on the right side (looks out of alignment).

Yes the hinges might not be gotten two the same. I would need to check with the former owner.

I am happy to have most opinnions indicating a reshaping for the current one. As you said, heavy parts are expensive to ship to Brazil.

This is exactly the case : the boot lid is driving me crazy since all other things looks in the right place!

No, the blue trim is not original in the car. According with the factory certificate it was red and the car was white.

Not only for the above but also for Rod, Tony and Martin I have to thank you very much for the tips. It was really helpfull.

I will go to a decent panelbeater that I know , get it off the car (as Alan said) to avoid putting strain on the hinges.

But before that I will travel to Portugal (visiting my son) and then going to Goodwood revival !

Coming back home from this trip is going to be a little unconfortable, since I will bring a gearbox for the Spitfire. What crazy things we do to keep our cars in a good shape!

Regards,

Reinaldo

Interesting observation regarding the hinge on the right side (looks out of alignment).

Yes the hinges might not be gotten two the same. I would need to check with the former owner.

You shouldn't need to check with the previous owner - even if he knows.

It should be apparent from just looking.

The hinges are angled slightly - not a lot, but enough to tell.

AlanR

No one has mentioned that the rubber seal can cause the lid to sit up. I had to throw out my seal and buy a smaller one not specifically made for the TR.

The new seals are too fat. NDM stands for Never Did Mine. :angry:

NDM: make sure that what you purchase is fit for purpose before parting with hard-earned cash.

You will notice that NDM is no longer advertising in TR Action.

Ian Cornish