Is it really worth having this section?

All the posts are along the lines - Cool meeting coming up, if you fancy coming along it is at ***** on the 88/99/****.

This can all be popped in the general section. Next to no one looks in hear. Pretty much as your typical Register punter could not care less if there is anything on TR Competition cars in the Mag.

Hi Jon,

if you look at the views of each thread you will see that there is an interest in what is a minority activity within the register

150 - 320 per thread.

Please don't interpret minority as of no importance, it is simply the numbers involoved for a speciality section.

Keep racing and keep posting

Roger

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I would love to get back into motorsport, but time constraints and location make it very difficult.

I would much rather watch your lot racing than F1 and have enjoyed the many links that you and others have supplied of

in-car-footage of races.

Hi Jon,

Over the past 90 days, views of the modest number of topics raised in the Competition Forum vary between 130 up to 950 - many a marque Forum webbie would be pleased indeed to see that number of views of any topic . . . . :D

As for the misconception that just because the average TR owner doesn't actually compete then he or she "couldn't care less" about competition . . . . utter bollocks. Why does the average owner of any sports car with a sporting pedigree choose to own that particular model - rather than any one of hundreds of alternatives ? And why is it that the survival rate of cars with a decent sporting pedigree tends to exceed by some considerable margin that of cars devoid of any sporting history ? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

The Register seems to be disposing of its old magazine stock by handing them out at events. I got one from 98.

There were pages of competition stuff. blink.gif

It certainly appears to have gone downhill, unless today's racers just don't bother to write any more.

As a would-have-liked-to racer, I find this forum interesting. Sadly, the cost of competition, and the time required, makes it a non-no for most of us, and for spectating many of the tracks are far away from me in the South. If there were a class where I could race a road car with no mods - no roll bar, no nothing - that would be a different matter. Like Prescott last month... ooops mustn't say that.

Anyway, I do like to read this forum, and to know that there are TRR members racing still.

Ivor

I would say that racing is not that expensive with old Triumph cars.

Me does spend about 5000 - 8000 EUR a year to have fun at about 6 race events.

I also do write race reports for our racing web page and the magazines of the clubs too.

So no point in NOT going racing with your car.

I started with a road legal daily driver and from year to year the modifications steps made the car faster (still road legal except the loud exhaust).

Even with a less prepared 140 HP TR you can have loads of fun on the track.

Cheers

Chris

Two or three years messing with a DHC in the 7 forum I then built my current car for fun but due to the encouragement from this section I am competing this year, it may be quiet but great advice comes freely so yes it is worth it.

It is also refreshing not to get blown out of the water when the senior moments creep in, I am much older than my car but it gets more attention than me, I think every aspect of owning a TR should be supported.

Chris

Even with a less prepared 140 HP TR you can have loads of fun on the track.

Cheers

Chris

I couldn't agree more. I don't race but do enjoy hillclimbs, sprints and historic rallying. Over the last few years the car has gained a few tweaks, mainly for reliablity, but the engine is the same unrestored lump that was in the car 50 years ago. And I do try and write up each event, I'm just worried that the TR Action readers are getting bored with my antics.

Not me, Kevin, especially when you include a photo of my TR4 in your articles!

I put a bit in the Forum each time we do a rally, but maybe I should write something for TR Action too?

I do wonder if many Register members see us using TR's for serious competition as an irresponsible risk of the cars, though.

Nigel

"I do wonder if many Register members see us using TR's for serious competition as an irresponsible risk of the cars, though."

Hi Nigel,

Over 40 years I can only recall that sort of remark being uttered once. The chap in question was taken out the following day as a passenger on a practice day at Goodwood. A month later he was competing in a sprint. That was back in the early 80s . . .

Don't worry about it. And yes, pen some words for TR Action, that would be a damn sight more entertaining that endless pages of Social Scene parochial page filling.

Cheers,

Alec

OK, it's just me being neurotic then!

A long time ago in my youth, doing regular stage rallies in a Vauxhall Magnum 2300 (remember those?) my co-driver worked as a reporter on a local newspaper. He wrote a bit for the paper each time, but people compained that I got the publicity because my co-driver worked for the paper. Just jealousy, really.

His reply was; "if they send an article in we'll print it too, but no-one bothers"

So maybe the simple answer is that the editors of TR Action will make the competition section larger if they get enough articles submitted to make it larger.

I'll get scribbling......

Nigel

Irresponsible! Blimey, not sure I have ever driven mine responsibly! Drive it like you Stole it and then fix it when it breaks! ;)

I couldn't agree more. I too, like reading other articles, it certainly whets my appetite as I will be using my car for hill climbs, sprints etc...I wanna have fun in it and that's what I bought it for. If I wreck it... :rolleyes: , I'll just get another and start again with the bits I already have... :lol:

Tony (not getting any younger)