Rear Valance assembly...oh no

Hi Niall and Neil,

Thanks for your thoughts and help

I reckon that the threaded bit in the picture i showed was for a gauge,

and this regulator will only fit a large bottle, despite the fact they gave

me a Diposable bottle.

Niall you are correct, things never change, they were aware i was a green horn,

and i was taking their advise. Guess the fact the regulator (supplied with mig) was incorrect never entered their grey matter, and the two would not fit.

Oh well, go back to them tomorrow and get the correct part.

Cheers

Guy

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy,would you not be able to pick up a half bottle of the standard type as these are much better value and easy to manage, the type of gas you need is Argosheild.I dont know what type of gas they put in them small bottles but i never spoke to anyone that had ought good to say about them, also they dont last to long ;)

Guy,would you not be able to pick up a half bottle of the standard type as these are much better value and easy to manage, the type of gas you need is Argosheild.I dont know what type of gas they put in them small bottles but i never spoke to anyone that had ought good to say about them, also they dont last to long ;)

Hi Niall

Yep I reckon your spot on ;) the mig should have a small pipe for use with the canister :( so I guess they sent him the wrong part however when he becomes an expert :P that part will be useful

Those tichy bottles are useless and dont last five minutes especially if the wind is blowing! :(

Guy you may be better off with a short term BOC contract on a "Y" size(Half size) bottle of Argoshield or Argoshield light. I will post you up a picture of my bottle setup in the morning.

Stuart.

Those tichy bottles are useless and dont last five minutes especially if the wind is blowing! :(

Guy you may be better off with a short term BOC contract on a "Y" size(Half size) bottle of Argoshield or Argoshield light. I will post you up a picture of my bottle setup in the morning.

Stuart.

I echo all of the comments re gas bottles. You do not want to run out of gas in the middle of a project especially if the stores are shut. The bottle I use is a good size for a hobby welder and the gas tends to run out at about the same time as a spool of wire and my last bottle lasted a year of my welding projects including the welding table next to the mig. When I get low on gas I just take it to the store and they replace it with a full bottle for around $30 I think.

Mig-Gas.jpg

The one most commonly supplied for home users here is the BOC 'D' size. Looks about the same as Foster's 'Y'.

Here we don't buy them we have 'hire' them. It used to stick in my craw that I have to pay BOC $80-90 pa whether I use it or not. But now I realise that if I owned it, I would have pay about that much to get an annual pressure test before I could get it filled. Such is the lot of the proletariat.

We have to pay rental on our bottles over here as well which if you dont use them much can be expensive. No real way round it Im afraid. Stan what gas are you using as that looks like CO2 to me.

This is my regulator setup, ignore the "Y" piece in the supply pipe, its fitted because I have a TIG welder sitting on top of my MIG.

Stuart.

Welder.jpg

Hi Chaps

Thanks Neil, Niall, Jim Stan and Stuart.

Most helpful, esp the photos. :rolleyes:

Have located my local Boc supplier overhere, for once

hes just down the road about a mile away.

Have to go down and open an account with them.

Unfortunately i have my youngest off school today, so doubt i

will be able too sort that out today.

Bummer

Cheers

Guy

We have to pay rental on our bottles over here as well which if you dont use them much can be expensive. No real way round it Im afraid. Stan what gas are you using as that looks like CO2 to me.

This is my regulator setup, ignore the "Y" piece in the supply pipe, its fitted because I have a TIG welder sitting on top of my MIG.

Stuart.

Stuart, the gas is called C-25 over here, a 75% argon, 25% co2 mix, standard MIG gas for welding mild steel.

I wish I had a TIG machine sitting on top of my MIG..

Stan

Stuart, the gas is called C-25 over here, a 75% argon, 25% co2 mix, standard MIG gas for welding mild steel.

I wish I had a TIG machine sitting on top of my MIG..

Stan

Thats about the same mix as we use, just got confused over the bottle colour as over here CO2 (pub gas) comes in brown cylinders and its hopeless to weld with. TIG welders are becoming very afforable now or at least the DC versions for steel/stainless welding are.(Bought mine two years ago for £285 plus about £30 delivery from Italy) The AC versions for aluminium welding are still pretty expensive though. If you go for one then find one with HF start as its much easier to use. The other bonus is you can use them as Arc welders as well.

Stuart.

A large bottle from BOC is about £18 and a years hire is something like £40, always an option.

The half size ("Y") Argoshield is currently over £30 to fill and £68 a year to hire! :(

Stuart.

Thats about the same mix as we use, just got confused over the bottle colour as over here CO2 (pub gas) comes in brown cylinders and its hopeless to weld with. TIG welders are becoming very afforable now or at least the DC versions for steel/stainless welding are.(Bought mine two years ago for £285 plus about £30 delivery from Italy) The AC versions for aluminium welding are still pretty expensive though. If you go for one then find one with HF start as its much easier to use. The other bonus is you can use them as Arc welders as well.

Stuart.

Yep, I'm keeping an eye on them. The low end devices start around $250 but I'm not sure how they compare to the metal fab shop model that I learned to weld on. I really liked the finesse and flexibility of TIG welding, more like gas welding with electric.. and a 230v arc welder would probably do better on the chassis than my 110v MIG does although I hope I am done with frame repair/mods for a while.

Hey Stuart, since your leading demo was such a success perhaps you could video some MIG and TIG sessions for us, like plug welding a rear valence :rolleyes:

Stan

Edited by foster461

Yep, I'm keeping an eye on them. The low end devices start around $250 but I'm not sure how they compare to the metal fab shop model that I learned to weld on. I really liked the finesse and flexibility of TIG welding, more like gas welding with electric.. and a 230v arc welder would probably do better on the chassis than my 110v MIG does although I hope I am done with frame repair/mods for a while.

Hey Stuart, since your leading demo was such a success perhaps you could video some MIG and TIG sessions for us, like plug welding a rear valence :rolleyes:

Stan

Not sure I have the technology to do that but I may be able to do a sequence of photos that may be of help on the plug welding. My hands arent steady enough now for neat TIG welding :huh:Though you are right about it being very close to gas welding in its technique. They do say with a plasma cutter you can cut a square out of the middle of a flat panel and then TIG it back in without distorting the panel.

Stuart

Dont know what size wire the muppets at the welding shop supplied you with, I tend to use 0.8mm on car tin, but a friend who is somewhat better than I likes to use 0.6 mm, you need to change the nib size with the wire spool. I think the advantage of the thinner wire allows more metal to be laid down with less heat, I tend to weld in a series of spots with the 0.8mm allowing metal temperature to cool.

Good luck looking forward to the spray results

IT,

I used 0.8mm on the chassis, but o.6 on the panels (can still make holes). The 0.6 lets you set lower currents more easily (thinner metal less current); the welding set makers normally supply a diagram showing the current at each setting plus the recommended wire feed speeds for that setting. (I'm using Argoshield, leave it on 12L/min)

NB. was disappointed the eagle eyed Grandpfa didn't comment on the pressure reading on the in-line filter and gauge in the background of the welder picture (Just finished some spraying). Or the terrible state of the garage floor.

Most garage pictures on the forum look like the floor of the Munich S-Bahn carriages, where you could safely perform open heart surgery, mine is more modelled on the Sydney electric train carriages which are reminiscent of the interior of a garbage bin. (Pfs good manners and politeness undoubtedly explain the lack of comment.)

Edited by littlejim

Foster,

just in case Stuart takes a while to produce his videos, have a look at this site http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm (if you haven't done so already.)

Great set of pictures on there. I couldnt have done better myself.

Stuart.

Foster,

just in case Stuart takes a while to produce his videos, have a look at this site http://www.mig-weldi...uk/tutorial.htm (if you haven't done so already.)

That is a great web site, I recall visiting it often when I was learning to use the MIG welder. I also like the suggestion of using thinner wire on the tub to reduce the probability of blowing holes.

Stan

That is a great web site, I recall visiting it often when I was learning to use the MIG welder. I also like the suggestion of using thinner wire on the tub to reduce the probability of blowing holes.

Stan

Hi,

Got the Argoshiel Y bottle and had to get new regulator, this one came

with two gauges.

Here is another site i found useful, shows basic and advanced welding skills on video

http://www.youtube.com/user/UCITLTC#p/c/404C2C74D09871B3/0/lzBGZaS1apw

Great for me having never done any welding.

Am going to have to tidy garage, and remove all flamables prior to a

practice session.

Anyway have all the bits and bobs now.

Cheers

Guy

Good man Guy,plenty of practice and make sure your settings are about right if settings are not right you ain't got a hope of a good weld :o What type of mask are you using,i find the handheld ones are very awkward to use as i hold the pistol in my right hand and steady the tip with my left thumb and first finger ;) the drop down masks i find better ;) just have the adjusters on the sides not to tight ;) a quick nod of the head as you strike for the weld and the mask drops HEY PRESTO B) dint i make it sound easy :D AFTER MUCH PRACTICE it is ;) The other type of masks are the clear type that darken automatically as you strike but these are rather dear,keeps both hands free and you wont end up like NODDY :lol:

Good man Guy,plenty of practice and make sure your settings are about right if settings are not right you ain't got a hope of a good weld :o What type of mask are you using,i find the handheld ones are very awkward to use as i hold the pistol in my right hand and steady the tip with my left thumb and first finger ;) the drop down masks i find better ;) just have the adjusters on the sides not to tight ;) a quick nod of the head as you strike for the weld and the mask drops HEY PRESTO B) dint i make it sound easy :D AFTER MUCH PRACTICE it is ;) The other type of masks are the clear type that darken automatically as you strike but these are rather dear,keeps both hands free and you wont end up like NODDY :lol:

All good advise but two missi!!!!!!!!!pi's on a thin car panel and you will see through it Guy :P

Edited by ntc

Hi Niall,

Agreed, going to have some practice, and not set the place alight.

The mask came with the welder as part of the deal, as they said on promotion, a sweetner really

to get you to buy.

I got my gear localy, and not this website but it features the helmet

http://www.discounthandpowertools.co.uk/tool-shop/welding-helmet-solar-powered-shade-9-13/

Stan, the cats were not impressed. :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Nice helmet Guy :o As for settings, helmet on 11 and if you have a 150 welder then start with 2 on the main range with around 4 on the wire speed and your gas regulator set to give around 8lbs output.Best try some practice runs on your old panels first and when you have finished welding and grinding don't just shut the doors and nip in for a glass of vino wait for at least quarter of an hour to make sure nothing is smoldering quietly in the corner somewhere. ;)

Stuart

Hi Niall,

Agreed, going to have some practice, and not set the place alight.

The mask came with the welder as part of the deal, as they said on promotion, a sweetner really

to get you to buy.

I got my gear localy, and not this website but it features the helmet

http://www.discounth...red-shade-9-13/

Stan, the cats were not impressed. :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Was it the mask or were you doing a Darth Vader impersonation that scared them ?

I wouldnt use anything other that the auto darkening helmet and I illuminate the area with bright halogen lamps so I have half a chance of landing the end of the wire close to whatever it is I'm trying to weld.

If this is your first time welding get some scrap steel and experiment. The thinner steel is a lot harder to weld than the thicker gauge and often the heat settings and wire speed need to be dialed in and there is a technique for the different welds and different positions like flat, overhead, vertical up, vertical down etc. Try and practice with a similar gauge metal and the same plug weld approach and dont go near the TR until you can reproduce good enough welds on the scrap. Play with the different heat settings and wire speeds and find the limits of what too hot or too cold or too fast or too slow will do.

Wear overalls, gloves (I like thin lightweight TIG gloves not those clumsy thick leather gloves) and a fire proof welding cap that fits under the mask. You will be amazed at where little bits of molten steel can end up and how much pain can be inflicted and keep those cats away or they might go woof !

Stan

I used up my first bottle of gas on practice welds and never regretted it. Especially for the chassis you want to make sure that the weld penetrates the metal.

With my early efforts I found I had invented non-stick welding.

Round the sills I developed my technique of accepting the bits of good weld at the correct setting, then going back and filling the holes a couple of settings lower, followed by a sculpture session using 60 grit flap disks.