Rear Valance assembly...oh no

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well keep us informed Guy, I'm very curious to see how these panels come off and in what order and if that rear outer panel can be removed leaving both inners in place or if some or all of it has to come off at the same time..

Stan

Stan you can leave both inner panels in place when unpicking the outer just dont drill too deep on the spot welds as they go through both.

CR526O046.jpg

CR526O047.jpg

CR526O048.jpg

CR526O049.jpg

(Oh and Andy Setchfield whoever you are Im not impressed with your resto! :( )

Stuart.

Stan you can leave both inner panels in place when unpicking the outer just dont drill too deep on the spot welds as they go through both.

(Oh and Andy Setchfield whoever you are Im not impressed with your resto! :( )

Stuart.

Awesome pictures Stuart, thanks. And I'll reserve judgment on Andy's efforts until after I tackle my rear valence and see hat kind of mess I make..

Stan

Busy day took dog to vets and did this

DSC08192.jpg

DSC08189.jpg

DSC08190.jpg

Close up of label

DSC08187.jpg

DSC08195.jpg

Screwed up the inner valance, put on the rear, and wings.

DSC08200.jpg

All seems to fit reasonably well, panels line up,

jut got to find a way to mark or temp fix the rear panel, so

when it comes to final fit i can weld it in.

Tomorrow going to carry on checking the fit, then strip it again,

and derust the inside of the upper inner panel and Bondarust prime.

.Paint the inside of the outer panel and innerlower panel with bondarust

and weld through primer where required.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy

It's looking good so far!

Just one thing I noticed when I was putting mine back together after rebuild - some of the holes for the rear lights didn't match up to the rear light fitting threads. It may be worth checking and trial fitting these before you get too far on in case you need to change some of the holes/slots. I had to adjust mine after it had been painted unfortunately.

Well done on your progress.

Roger

Hi Guy

It's looking good so far!

Just one thing I noticed when I was putting mine back together after rebuild - some of the holes for the rear lights didn't match up to the rear light fitting threads. It may be worth checking and trial fitting these before you get too far on in case you need to change some of the holes/slots. I had to adjust mine after it had been painted unfortunately.

Well done on your progress.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Wildo, i have fitted boot lock to ensure it all looks good when boot

is shut properly.

Cheers

Guy

Oh Simon, it could well be, 5.7 litre lump in the beast.

Its not mine but a mates, my Tr6 is teaching it some manners,

the car is mainly used on track days, although it hasnt seen for a while.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Busy day took dog to vets and did this

Close up of label

Screwed up the inner valance, put on the rear, and wings.

All seems to fit reasonably well, panels line up,

jut got to find a way to mark or temp fix the rear panel, so

when it comes to final fit i can weld it in.

Tomorrow going to carry on checking the fit, then strip it again,

and derust the inside of the upper inner panel and Bondarust prime.

.Paint the inside of the outer panel and innerlower panel with bondarust

and weld through primer where required.

Cheers

Guy

Guy, you have been a busy boy !. Nice work. About that label, is that from its previous resto ?. If this was all apart in 1988 you wonder why they didnt do a better job protecting it..

Thanks for the great photos, keep them coming.. I would be interesting in seeing pictures of the outer panel that you removed to see where you had to drill the spot welds out.

BTW re the filler on the flat top corners of the outer panel, I just looked at mine and I'm not seeing filler, just overlapping metal but I can imagine if the earlier fit was not quite right that someome might have applied some bondo to bring the surfaces level.

Stan

Guy, you have been a busy boy !. Nice work. About that label, is that from its previous resto ?. If this was all apart in 1988 you wonder why they didnt do a better job protecting it..

Thanks for the great photos, keep them coming.. I would be interesting in seeing pictures of the outer panel that you removed to see where you had to drill the spot welds out.

BTW re the filler on the flat top corners of the outer panel, I just looked at mine and I'm not seeing filler, just overlapping metal but I can imagine if the earlier fit was not quite right that someome might have applied some bondo to bring the surfaces level.

Stan

Stan,

Yup the label from previous resto, before i had the car,you would have thought they would have paimnted the inside of the panel. Not bad for 21 years, as opposed to the Andy Setchfield resto eight years ago.

There were zero spot welds all done with continuios welds, so out came the grinder.

The link i posted early on had some good pictures of the welds.

The New panel, fits much better than the old in relation to the ends.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

If it's already rusty would have thought it worth starting with a complete coat of Jenolite/phosphoric acid/milkstone remover ? And then the Bonda etc?

Ivor

I always tend to bare metal and Bondaprime all new panels anyway as I have seen quite a few that already have surface rust appearing under the black primer. Guy if you get all the panels to fit then put some self tappers in to hold them you can dismantle and prime and then when you put them back you will know that they are in the right place. I think those panels have lasted pretty well for how long they have been fitted, just goes to show the difference in steel quality to whats available now! Stan I will post up some pictures later of all the spot weld locations.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Inside of panels Bondarusted. :rolleyes:

And had a go and getting all the alignment correct using self tapers. :blink:

Wings on, adjust outer valance, wings off fit self tapers wings back on,

Wings off adjust again and so on. Oh yeah and fit rubber seal check boot alignment.

Well not happy with the fit as yet, :unsure: but with the above experience and its effects

i will be more successful tomorrow.

I can see why it takes so long to get in spot on

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Inside of panels Bondarusted. :rolleyes:

And had a go and getting all the alignment correct using self tapers. :blink:

Wings on, adjust outer valance, wings off fit self tapers wings back on,

Wings off adjust again and so on. Oh yeah and fit rubber seal check boot alignment.

Well not happy with the fit as yet, :unsure: but with the above experience and its effects

i will be more successful tomorrow.

I can see why it takes so long to get in spot on

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy

Looking like a good job - worth doing - wonder how many other 6's have the same problem!

Where did you get your panels from and are they a good fit or need a lot of adjustment?

Keep up the good work especially the photos!

Tony

Eyetee,

The Dog is fine, had to have a couple of injections, and hes on a course

of antibiotic, boy dog problems :mellow:

Tony

This job i could have easily left for another few years before it really started to show, but

i have know about it for a while, and with the notion of going bumperless, it has to be done.

The panels came from Rimmer, they were labled as being Heritage Panels and British Made <_<

They certainly look and feel the part, as for fit, its a tricky area, one moment you think

thats it, go to the other side and well it aint, learned a bit today, not to rush it.

I now have the wings looseish and the outer panel fitted but not screwed(temporary fixing prior to weld)

boot lid on. Its a matter of balancing it all up.

More pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

ten out of ten for patience and perseverance, well done that man, I'm impressed ! :D

By the way, what the heck are 'boy dog problems' when they're at home ? Too much shagging th sofa cushions, or has he been trying to roger the rose bush ? Threaten him with Tyson if he's a bad lad, that should concentrate his mind !! :lol:

Cheers,

Alec

The panels came from Rimmer, they were labled as being Heritage Panels and British Made <_<

They certainly look and feel the part, as for fit, its a tricky area, one moment you think

thats it, go to the other side and well it aint, learned a bit today, not to rush it.

I now have the wings looseish and the outer panel fitted but not screwed(temporary fixing prior to weld)

boot lid on. Its a matter of balancing it all up.

Cheers

Guy

Thats exactly what I have to put up with everyday of the week. Hence the time it takes can end up costing dear. Usually for me I try and achieve a good overall fit and then lead fill the bits that Im not happy with. The factory did the same. (Although I suspect a lot quicker on the line ;) )

Mind you it still never ceases to amaze me after all the time spent fettling everything to fit nice you dismantle it all to paint it and then when you put it back together it wont fit! :blink: Dont forget to allow for layers of primer/paint. ;)

Stuart.

Thats exactly what I have to put up with everyday of the week. Hence the time it takes can end up costing dear. Usually for me I try and achieve a good overall fit and then lead fill the bits that Im not happy with. The factory did the same. (Although I suspect a lot quicker on the line ;) )

Mind you it still never ceases to amaze me after all the time spent fettling everything to fit nice you dismantle it all to paint it and then when you put it back together it wont fit! :blink: Dont forget to allow for layers of primer/paint. ;)

Stuart.

Hi All,

Left side lines up well, :rolleyes: just need to self taper it into position, but the right hand side has

been giving me grief. Top lines fine by the light unit fine, but the bottom bulge is hopeless. :angry:

I have used masking tape so i can make a line on it as a reference panels on check, panels off

adjust re mark line and so on.

Now all of a sudden , i had inspiration,zapped_2.gif maybe Stuart is telapathic, maybe, the profile on thebottom edge of the wing is different to the other side, see photo. I drilled some fine holes and

its been filled. So obviously the filler was used to make a better fit on the old panel.

DSC08201.jpg

DSC08203.jpg

DSC08205.jpg

Onwards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi All,

Left side lines up well, :rolleyes: just need to self taper it into position, but the right hand side has

been giving me grief. Top lines fine by the light unit fine, but the bottom bulge is hopeless. :angry:

I have used masking tape so i can make a line on it as a reference panels on check, panels off

adjust re mark line and so on.

Now all of a sudden , i had inspiration, maybe Stuart is telapathic, maybe, the profile on thebottom edge of the wing is different to the other side, see photo. I drilled some fine holes and

its been filled. So obviously the filler was used to make a better fit on the old panel.

DSC08203.jpg

Onwards

Guy

At least the bondo will be easier to remove to make a better fit that it would be to add lead to build the surface out..

Guy, I left one of your pictures in this reply, is the rear panel standing off the inner wing more than it was originally ?. The picture makes it look like there is quite a gap that I dont see in other pictures.

Stan

At least the bondo will be easier to remove to make a better fit that it would be to add lead to build the surface out..

Guy, I left one of your pictures in this reply, is the rear panel standing off the inner wing more than it was originally ?. The picture makes it look like there is quite a gap that I dont see in other pictures.

Stan

Stan,

I have looked back at the photos, and know what you mean, that side at the top had about four

plates welded together and the whole lot was welded to the edge of the original valance, i am

forming the opinion that that valance was not new when it was fitted, if you look at the picture

below can you see the holes together in the centre of the rust, whats going on there?

DSC08198.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Stan,

I have looked back at the photos, and know what you mean, that side at the top had about four

plates welded together and the whole lot was welded to the edge of the original valance, i am

forming the opinion that that valance was not new when it was fitted, if you look at the picture

below can you see the holes together in the centre of the rust, whats going on there?

DSC08198.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Towbar! I am just in the middle of fitting one to a six and thats just the hole pattern you end up with.

Stuart.

Been following this for a while now and must say I have learnt a lot from all the input from everybody.

Very surprised at the lack of serious corrosion given the climate, sid salt being all around.

Looking good, please elaborate on going bumperless, I have had many TR's and always removed the bumpers (never ran a six though)

All power to your elbow Guy a great job, well done.

Cheers Chaps.

"Power to my elbow", havent heard of that phrase before,

a new one on me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, had a call from my paint factors and they have mixed me some cellulose

to match. Whilst there got a spray primer and thinners, also a better thinner

to mix with the colour coats. Also a double carbon face mask, so i dont poison myself,

various other consumables i would need.

So now have paint, so inside of boot will get the test treatment on my newly aquired painting

skills ;)

However firstly some more prep work, and have to set up plastic sheeting around my work

area, and have to get a heater to warm up that space prior to paint.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/08/27/sn/

Mig welder ordered, will be down next week, so plan is to complete inside of boot

and the insides of the new panels

Thats all for Now Folks

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Cheers Chaps.

"Power to my elbow", havent heard of that phrase before,

a new one on me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, had a call from my paint factors and they have mixed me some cellulose

to match. Whilst there got a spray primer and thinners, also a better thinner

to mix with the colour coats. Also a double carbon face mask, so i dont poison myself,

various other consumables i would need.

So now have paint, so inside of boot will get the test treatment on my newly aquired painting

skills ;)

However firstly some more prep work, and have to set up plastic sheeting around my work

area, and have to get a heater to warm up that space prior to paint.

http://www.woodworki.../2004/08/27/sn/

Mig welder ordered, will be down next week, so plan is to complete inside of boot

and the insides of the new panels

Thats all for Now Folks

Cheers

Guy

Nice idea for a quickie spray booth Guy. How is the new panel alignment going ?

Stan