Rear Valance assembly...oh no

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaps,

Decided to do proper job, have now removed one wing, easy job a few screws,

need to be careful with the mastic tube joint, i ran a blade down it careful where i could.

Take of other wing tomorrow, and give it a clean.

Thanks All

Guy

Edit

Can anyone recommend a product to remove the old sealer.

There you go, that wasnt so hard and it looks like your inner wing, rear deck and B post on this side are all in good shape. Looking forward to seeing the steps needed to take off the external rear panel and how that part goes. At this rate you will be done by tea time on Sunday.

Stan

There you go, that wasnt so hard and it looks like your inner wing, rear deck and B post on this side are all in good shape. Looking forward to seeing the steps needed to take off the external rear panel and how that part goes. At this rate you will be done by tea time on Sunday.

Stan

Thanks Ragtag, elbow grease, as the panels are finished i am being careful, must be some

stuff to dissolve it, will have a look for some.

Stan,

Probably would be finished by sunday if i had a spot welder to hand, have to send my feelers out

see if i can borrow one. Oh and should order replacement outer panel.

Are the Moss /Rimmer panels ok re fit :huh:

This wing hasnt been off the car in 12 years, the other side was off five years ago,when some

nice person pushed it in in a pub carpark. So the other side should be similar. :rolleyes:

But i can see that the inner low panel is a horrible rusty colour, will see what its like when

i remove outer panel. Am sure its not going to be nice. Hope its salvageable or its coming

off too. <_<

Quite enjoying this really, no where near as bad as i thoght it would be.

Cheers

Guy

Guy if your car is painted in 2pack which I suspect it is the careful applications of a cellulose thinner dampened rag will help to remove the sealer. But try a discreet area first! ;) Your inner wings do look good by the way and nice to see they are painted as well.Thing is where is your bump rubber box on the wheel arch?

Stuart.

TonysTR6.jpg

Edited by stuart
Guy if your car is painted in 2pack which I suspect it is the careful applications of a cellulose thinner dampened rag will help to remove the sealer. But try a discreet area first! ;) Your inner wings do look good by the way and nice to see they are painted as well.Thing is where is your bump rubber box on the wheel arch?

Stuart.

TonysTR6.jpg

Stuart,

Well spotted , i wondered how long before it was noticed. :rolleyes:

Well i was bombing down a road in Somerset, a few moons ago, to pick up a mate and was

due to catch the ferry. This particular road was very bumpy, and over a bump big clatter, oh poo

i though something serious has broken, and found the bump stop loose behind the wheel.

Phew, put it in car and sped of for the boat. Which due to my mates shortcut we missed.

So i have no idea whats happened to it now so if anyone has a spare or know of one for sale,

i am your man. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guy

Probably would be finished by sunday if i had a spot welder to hand, have to send my feelers out

see if i can borrow one. Oh and should order replacement outer panel.

You should be able to mig weld these panels back on. Just make a hole in the outermost panel where the spot weld needs to be then mig weld the perimeter of the hole to the panel underneath. If you do that carefully and grind it flat it will be as effective as a spot weld although a lot slower to execute.

Stan

You should be able to mig weld these panels back on. Just make a hole in the outermost panel where the spot weld needs to be then mig weld the perimeter of the hole to the panel underneath. If you do that carefully and grind it flat it will be as effective as a spot weld although a lot slower to execute.

Stan

After removing the tank fuel pump lines etc

Guy

O.M.G. What have you started :P

Looks like a job and a half, hope all goes well with your work, I suppose I have all this to look forward too( should i really be parting with this cash) B)

One more sleep :D Happy days

Guy

O.M.G. What have you started :P

Looks like a job and a half, hope all goes well with your work, I suppose I have all this to look forward too( should i really be parting with this cash) B)

One more sleep :D Happy days

Clarkey

Thanks

I dought you will have to deal with is for a good few years yet.

Car was restored in 1991, so that how long the rear has taken to go pear shaped,

difficult to see whats going on inside a sealed panel like that, i i have never thought

of waxoiling that part.

He ho, both wings now off, Tr Action has just arrived si going to have a look

at that and decide next step.

Not long now.

Regards

Guy

You are a brave man Guy :)

Hope you are in it for the long-term ;)

Hi John,

Brave or stupid or both. :lol:

Actually, very pleased with condition of body, with no rust issues

apart from the rear valance, which i have know about for years,

had to be done sometime, so why not.

Have ordered rear valance outer and lower inner. Just Now.

Cheers

Guy

Clarkey

Thanks

I dought you will have to deal with is for a good few years yet.

Car was restored in 1991, so that how long the rear has taken to go pear shaped,

difficult to see whats going on inside a sealed panel like that, i i have never thought

of waxoiling that part.

He ho, both wings now off, Tr Action has just arrived si going to have a look

at that and decide next step.

Not long now.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy

Mine was restored in 88 I really need to have a good study of the history I have shed loads to have a look at .

I have not picked the car up today as all it has done is pi** it down all day. and I do not want to undo all his hard work, so alas I have to wait till the morning.

So still one more sleep :blink:

Guy this should show the spot welds on the outside edges of the back panel so you can remove it and leave the inner upper and lower panels in place.

Stuart

Rearvalanceattachmentpoints002.jpg

Rearvalanceattachmentpoints001.jpg

Hi Chaps,

Update i await the arrival of the rear panels, so i have removed tank and pump

and bare metaled the interior of the boot and part applied Bondarust to protect it.

DSC08183.jpg

DSC08182.jpg

DSC08181.jpg

DSC08179.jpg

With reference to the above its clear the ends of the outer valance have been

built up with filler, the Rhd more so than the left. Is this normal?

The Lhd end of outer panel at the top is different to the Rhd, as the Rhd

seems to have had a solid plate welded to it.

I am going to wait till new panels arrive before i cut of the old panel.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

put plastic valance on better than this steel junk that will just rot again.

Good point.

But do they fit? I no more want to get into modding fibreglass than I do into welding metal. blink.gif

Do you recommend any particular make?

And how is their strength, bearing in mind that my twin back boxes hang on the valance?

Ivor

Good point.

But do they fit? I no more want to get into modding fibreglass than I do into welding metal. blink.gif

Do you recommend any particular make?

And how is their strength, bearing in mind that my twin back boxes hang on the valance?

Ivor

Never had an issue and easy to dress before fitting. Honeybourne Mouldling near Birmingham is the place.

Hang th exhaust off of the cross member or make some brakets going through the extreme back part of the boot floor to hold them.

Plastic is alot faster too!

Never had an issue and easy to dress before fitting. Honeybourne Mouldling near Birmingham is the place.

Hang th exhaust off of the cross member or make some brakets going through the extreme back part of the boot floor to hold them.

Plastic is alot faster too!

Not so good if someone rear ends you at the lights though! :blink:

Stuart.

Guy trial fit the panels first to get everything lined up (you can hold them in place with self tappers)Then try the back wings on as well as the bootlid (including fitting the boot seal as that can make a difference) and then when you are happy with the fit see my PM ;) or give me a ring.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Guy trial fit the panels first to get everything lined up (you can hold them in place with self tappers)Then try the back wings on as well as the bootlid (including fitting the boot seal as that can make a difference) and then when you are happy with the fit see my PM ;) or give me a ring.

Stuart.

Cheers Stuart. :rolleyes:

Not so good if someone rear ends you at the lights though! blink.gif

Well, if I buy the fibre valance, you can fit it, then I'll keep the steel valance in case someone rearends me tongue.gif

Ivor

Mr Ups Man,Has just delivered the panels. :rolleyes:

So tomorrow going to remove the outer valance and lower

inner panel.

<_<

Will see how they fit, is it better to paint the panels

prior to final fit?

Cheers

Guy

Guy, you will have to weld these panels to fit them so final paint will probably be the last task after assembly but I had imagined that when I get to this project I will use some weldable primer on any new metal before I assemble, do the exterior paint and then spray waxoyl or your rust treatment of choice into the cavity between the inner and outer skins.

I also wondered about leaving an inspection hole/panel in the inner lower so I could periodically inspect/clean/protect but I have not fully investigated that as an option.. It seems the only really vulnerable part is the bottom end below the bumper where all the **** and moisture get trapped. A doomed design to start with.

Stan

Guy, you will have to weld these panels to fit them so final paint will probably be the last task after assembly but I had imagined that when I get to this project I will use some weldable primer on any new metal before I assemble, do the exterior paint and then spray waxoyl or your rust treatment of choice into the cavity between the inner and outer skins.

I also wondered about leaving an inspection hole/panel in the inner lower so I could periodically inspect/clean/protect but I have not fully investigated that as an option.. It seems the only really vulnerable part is the bottom end below the bumper where all the **** and moisture get trapped. A doomed design to start with.

Stan

Stan,

There is a 25 mm diameter hole in the lower inner panel, i also note that where

the bottom lip of outer and lower inner meet, there is an upstand in the inner

panel, at midpoint for about 2 inches.

Anyway will post some more picts tomorrow of progress,havent got paint yet.

Cheers

Guy

Stan,

There is a 25 mm diameter hole in the lower inner panel, i also note that where

the bottom lip of outer and lower inner meet, there is an upstand in the inner

panel, at midpoint for about 2 inches.

Anyway will post some more picts tomorrow of progress,havent got paint yet.

Cheers

Guy

Well keep us informed Guy, I'm very curious to see how these panels come off and in what order and if that rear outer panel can be removed leaving both inners in place or if some or all of it has to come off at the same time..

Stan

When I did this to my then TR6,I kept the inner upper panel and renewed the bottom inner and of course the outer.I did not find too hard to do so you should not have too many problems.I self tapped the panels

to line up with the wings and bumper irons,then plug welded it all round.It is not to bad a job to do so go for it.

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter