Rear Valance assembly...oh no

Keep up the good work fella

Have a look at my post in the at the bar forum that will make you smile. B)

Good luck with the gun tomorrow. :D

Edited by Clarkey
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chaps,

Thinking forward the Satin Black, i believe there are several shades,

anyone aware of the correct shade (code).?

I have a rattle can of Satin Black, but feel i will achieve a better finish with the spray gun

At Malvern i seem to recall, seeing Tr6s with just body colour, and those with satin black,

and those with a gloss black. Are there any alternatives that would suit a Sapphire Blue

six with no bumpers. :o<_<

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

It's funny that you should mention this as I am also considering leaving the rear in body colour. The metallic red I have used has gone on great and the rear chrome bumpers would really set it off at the back. I can always paint it black later if I change my mind.

Cheers

Tony

Guy The black tail is very "Of the time" and IMHO does suit the car although it looks different depending on the main body colour. Its obviously more striking on a lighter colour than a dark one(and on a lighter colour helps to disguise the the blackening of the tail end by exhaust smoke/road grime that this "cut off" shape of tail attracts ;) )

You could like Tony has said paint it body colour first and if you dont like it then paint the black in after.

I have used the standard "rattle can" satin black and with several coats (i.e. more than 1 can) a very good finish can be acheived. Best is to leave it for about a week and then give it a good T cutting as this just brings it back to the sort of finish that was originally found. (You will need to keep the area warm whilst spraying them as they are b***ers for "blooming"). Using a standard black (cellulose or 2pack) with a matting agent (which is what most bodyshops tend to do) can be very hit and miss and depending on the amount of matting agent used varies the finish enormously.

You dont have the chrome sill strips on yours which is a shame as the original satin black sills below the strips helps to "lift" the car as well.

Of course all this is subjective and its your car you do whatever you want ;)

Stuart.

Hi Folks,

I have read in quite a few posts recently the term 'Rattle Can'.

This is clearly (is it!!) an ameri'can'ism as it decribes the sound rather than the product as in 'get me one of those rattly things in black'.

Whatever happened to the good old 'aerosol' as in 'get me one of those aerosol things in black'. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roger

Thanks Stuart and All.

Taking Tonys suggestion i am painting it all body colour, and if the rear is to

goes satin thats not a problem, when wings are back on.

The wing tips are currently satin which is on 2 pack, putting the cellulose on top of that is going to be a pain, due to the thickness of coats, if that makes sense. If i put black on black there will be a tape line, but thats ok as its a different colour, if i go with celly blue same tape line in same colour, not good. This is as i cant cut into the 2 pack due to possible reaction between the two.

Hope that makes sense :unsure:

Heres two coats freshly on, going to wait for it to thoroghly dry and wet sand it.

DSC08296.jpg

DSC08291.jpg

Colour is lighter at present, the chap who mixed the paint said it would need four coats.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Folks,

I have read in quite a few posts recently the term 'Rattle Can'.

This is clearly (is it!!) an ameri'can'ism as it decribes the sound rather than the product as in 'get me one of those rattly things in black'.

Whatever happened to the good old 'aerosol' as in 'get me one of those aerosol things in black'. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roger

Sorry Roger its because I can never remember how to spell it and it often comes out looking more like ar***ole :o;)

Stuart

Sorry Roger its because I can never remember how to spell it and it often comes out looking more like ar***ole :o;)

Stuart

I believe this phenomena is covered in an old joke about a Swedish guy shopping in the UK for deodorant.. when asked if he wanted ball or aerosol he replied that actually he was planning to put it under his arms..

I believe this phenomena is covered in an old joke about a Swedish guy shopping in the UK for deodorant.. when asked if he wanted ball or aerosol he replied that actually he was planning to put it under his arms..

:lol::lol::lol: Yep sounds about right!

Stuart.

Looking damn fine there Guy!

Just a suggestion... Difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks as though the spray pattern is a little on the thick side. I'll shut up if I'm wrong, but you will need to do a lot of flatting down.

What you want to try and achieve is a smooth, glossy finish with minimal orange peel. Obviously, if your car is orange peely, then you want to try and match it.

I'm just thinking of saving you a lot of work. :)

Looking damn fine there Guy!

Just a suggestion... Difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks as though the spray pattern is a little on the thick side. I'll shut up if I'm wrong, but you will need to do a lot of flatting down.

What you want to try and achieve is a smooth, glossy finish with minimal orange peel. Obviously, if your car is orange peely, then you want to try and match it.

I'm just thinking of saving you a lot of work. :)

Hi John,

Having spoken with the main man, Stuart (Thanks Again) about my effort,i have lashed the top coat up, simply by not doing a test on spray pattern and fluid control. :angry:

In my defence, the primer went on fine and i didnt adjust the gun as i thought it

would be fine. :blink: Still on the learning curve.

So i have flatted it right back so its smooth again, even exposed the primer in

some areas.

My motor was sprayed by a professional outfit overhere and is without the orange,

so i have to achieve the same.

Ho Hum

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi John,

Having spoken with the main man, Stuart (Thanks Again) about my effort,i have lashed the top coat up, simply by not doing a test on spray pattern and fluid control. :angry:

In my defence, the primer went on fine and i didnt adjust the gun as i thought it

So i have flatted it right back so its smooth again, even exposed the primer in

some areas.

My motor was sprayed by a professional outfit overhere and is without the orange,

so i have to achieve the same.

Ho Hum

Cheers

Guy

Fine coats and build it up patience Guy the pro's make it look so easy

Hi John,

:

Ho Hum

Cheers

Guy

I think you are doing really well

if there was a furom price best job of the year you would win it hands down :D

my lord therin.

your humble servant pinklton

You know when ou are finished Guy, the satisfaction you will have knowing you have done it yourself is a great feeling :)

As Neil says; take it easy and build the coats up.

Keep up the great work mate :)

John

P.S. Spraying used to be a hobby of mine - I'm useless at the mechanical stuff mind! :P

It has to be said Guy, you are taking CI TR enthusiasm and expertise to new levels.

When you run out of jobs to do, maybe the CI Group should buy a project car......?

Indeed my friend.

I know of a certain very rusty three in bits,(do you know the one) that has been looking for a home

for many years, certainly a mamouth job, but it comes with a good chassis. Have to start

somewhere.

Cheers

Guy

Indeed my friend.

I know of a certain very rusty three in bits,(do you know the one) that has been looking for a home

for many years, certainly a mamouth job, but it comes with a good chassis. Have to start

somewhere.

Cheers

Guy

Guy you should buy the three whatever as they are getting very hard to find now in any condition. We can all help you restore it by remote! ;):lol::lol:

Stuart

Update.

Following on from my top coat attempt :blink:

I flatted it back till perfectly smooth, did go through the primer in places.

So have applied two further primer coats and, this time i tuned the gun,

and tried it on a test panel.

I think it went well, here are the results.

DSC08302.jpg

DSC08303.jpg

Now to pluck up the courage to apply top coats :unsure:

Cheers

Guy

Update.

Following on from my top coat attempt :blink:

I flatted it back till perfectly smooth, did go through the primer in places.

So have applied two further primer coats and, this time i tuned the gun,

and tried it on a test panel.

I think it went well, here are the results.

Now to pluck up the courage to apply top coats :unsure:

Cheers

Guy

Guy, what will be the new approach for the top coat ?. Different paint mixture, different gun setting, different technique, all of the above ?

Guy, what will be the new approach for the top coat ?. Different paint mixture, different gun setting, different technique, all of the above ?

Hi Stan,

Well, still using the same paint mix which is fifty fifty paint to quality thinner.

Increasing the air to 65 from 50. Testing the gun with fan right out, and fluid control right out then 1 and half turns in. Every gun will be different as will the settings depend on air and temp etc. Did a test on a spare vertical panel. <_<

Have just applied a top coat, much slower and with more care than last time, letting it dry as to my disgust i noted a speck in the centre of the panel, overall looked a bit orange peel to me. Will venture

back into the garage when it will be dry and orange peel has flattened out :rolleyes: , or not :o

Have decided to do the centre panel satin black with rattle cans so am not unduley worried about

the finish there.

Oh for a peaceful life.

Cheers

Guy

DSC08305.jpg

DSC08306.jpg

What do you think?, defo better on last attempt, 1200 wet then another coat?

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Stan,

Well, still using the same paint mix which is fifty fifty paint to quality thinner.

Increasing the air to 65 from 50. Testing the gun with fan right out, and fluid control right out then 1 and half turns in. Every gun will be different as will the settings depend on air and temp etc. Did a test on a spare vertical panel. <_<

Have just applied a top coat, much slower and with more care than last time, letting it dry as to my disgust i noted a speck in the centre of the panel, overall looked a bit orange peel to me. Will venture

back into the garage when it will be dry and orange peel has flattened out :rolleyes: , or not :o

Have decided to do the centre panel satin black with rattle cans so am not unduley worried about

the finish there.

Oh for a peaceful life.

Cheers

Guy

What do you think?, defo better on last attempt, 1200 wet then another coat?

That sure looks better in the pictures than your first attempt. Do I understand correctly that you are going back to satin black for the rear or is that just an area of the rear panel ?

Stan

Looks like a standard "Factory finish" that you find on most modern cars! :lol: Wind the pressure up a little more (70) and slow down fractionally and you should be spot on Guy. When you have got the four coats on (allowing good time for flash off in between) Empty the gun out and without washing it out refill with best thinners only and then just spray another coat across it slightly quicker than your speed now and that will flow out the "peel"

Stuart.

Looks like a standard "Factory finish" that you find on most modern cars! :lol: Wind the pressure up a little more (70) and slow down fractionally and you should be spot on Guy. When you have got the four coats on (allowing good time for flash off in between) Empty the gun out and without washing it out refill with best thinners only and then just spray another coat across it slightly quicker than your speed now and that will flow out the "peel"

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, all due to your help.Will do as you say.

1200 wet between coats, thats if it isnt right?

Stan, just doing the centre of the rear in the satin, as i had it before.

Cheers

Guy