No Bumpers...Insurance @ looks

Hi All,

I was wondering what the Insurance implications would be on a

bumperless Tr6, clearly the Insurance company should be notified, and probably

increase in premium <_<

I have seen photos of bumperless Tr6 on Racetorations, and what has been done

to the front, but havent found any rear photos.

Anyone have any photos? plus opinions please

Cheers

Guy

Nb Kels motor excluded

Hi guy

I like the idea of my six having a brazilian as well, but wear do you fit the front number plate and light up the rear number plate?

Alan

Hi All,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have found some photos, they Are Iain Rollos Tr6, and its in the correct colour

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....=9846&st=40

Very Nice

Cheers

Guy

Hi,

I run my six without bumpers, a great and simple way to change the look of the the car, and give it a sporter edge if you find the bumper look a bit boring. Also totaly reversable.

Obviously you should be aware of the increased risk of damage, also beware of the protruding exhaust as knocking that could cause problems.

Have no problems with insurance (towergate)

I mount my front plate on an aluminum bar which attaches to the front two bumber mounts on the valance, raised out slightly with rubber washers to clear the curve of the valance.

The licence plate is also off set to one side to allow attatchement of rally cards etc. a detail I picked up on the ractorations web site.

All other holes are blanked off with a bolt through a ruber washer, looks nice and neat. They also tie in the chassis outrigers (or whatever you call them) to the wings.

The rear number plate light is provided by one of those cheap classic style number plate lights in plastic as mine is just stuck on over the hole on the rear valance and seems to stay put just fine. (don't like drilling holes if I can help it)

Hope this helps will try and post some pics to give you an idea of the look.

Richard

Hi,

I run my six without bumpers, a great and simple way to change the look of the the car, and give it a sporter edge if you find the bumper look a bit boring. Also totaly reversable.

Obviously you should be aware of the increased risk of damage, also beware of the protruding exhaust as knocking that could cause problems.

Have no problems with insurance (towergate)

I mount my front plate on an aluminum bar which attaches to the front two bumber mounts on the valance, raised out slightly with rubber washers to clear the curve of the valance.

The licence plate is also off set to one side to allow attatchement of rally cards etc. a detail I picked up on the ractorations web site.

All other holes are blanked off with a bolt through a ruber washer, looks nice and neat. They also tie in the chassis outrigers (or whatever you call them) to the wings.

The rear number plate light is provided by one of those cheap classic style number plate lights in plastic as mine is just stuck on over the hole on the rear valance and seems to stay put just fine. (don't like drilling holes if I can help it)

Hope this helps will try and post some pics to give you an idea of the look.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info

Very helpful, look forward to the photos when you can.

Cheers

Guy

And thanks Poolboy for posting pictures of your solution, i have spotted your car before on

Six Pack. What overiders have you used?

Edited by Jersey Royal

Why the heck take the bumpers off ?

Give me strength, it's a road car, not a racer ! They're there for a purpose, as in fending off the opposition.

Many years ago I was rammed from behind by some moron in a BMW, on the A1M, he was too busy yapping into his mobile to notice the blue lights and multiple pile-up ahead. Bent the rear bumper brackets on my Super Snipe, wrote off his M-whatever Beemer in the process, just annihilated itself against two tons of Humber. Then started arguing with the bobbies that I'd braked too hard with my trailing-shoe drums all round . . . . he didn't get much sympathy, none at all in fact. They threw the book at him.

Bumpers may not be fashionable, but they work - my old TR6 in 1979 was rammed from behnd by a double decker bus, ripped the n/s front wheel off the bus, but I was still driving after the accident. The bus was firmly wedged into the tarmac.

Bumpers work. Live with them.

Cheers,

Alec

Guy (Jersey Royal), you're welcome. Those are for the AC Cobra. I had to make the brackets that connect the bumper to the TR6 brackets.

When I bought that car, the TR6 bumpers weren't installed. The PO had the car painted and was in the process of restoration when he and his wife split up. Work on the car came to a halt and a few years later he sold it to me.

I drove it w/o bumpers for some time while I tried to come up with some kind of "nerf bar" design; then I saw these Cobra bumpers on eBay that were close enough to what I had in mind.

Give me strength, it's a road car, not a racer ! They're there for a purpose, as in fending off the opposition.

Many years ago I was rammed from behind by some moron in a BMW, on the A1M, he was too busy yapping into his mobile to notice the blue lights and multiple pile-up ahead. Bent the rear bumper brackets on my Super Snipe, wrote off his M-whatever Beemer in the process, just annihilated itself against two tons of Humber. Then started arguing with the bobbies that I'd braked too hard with my trailing-shoe drums all round . . . . he didn't get much sympathy, none at all in fact. They threw the book at him.

Bumpers may not be fashionable, but they work - my old TR6 in 1979 was rammed from behnd by a double decker bus, ripped the n/s front wheel off the bus, but I was still driving after the accident. The bus was firmly wedged into the tarmac.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

I am not for or against de bumpering, but have an open mind.

In my mind at present is how effective are the bumpers on a Tr, at fending off opposition. The height of the bumper i would think

would go under anything it hit, and the body would take the force, unless you were unfortunate as to hit an imovable solid object.

Here are a couple of photos.

Tr with bumpers, whatever it was unfotunate enough to hit has gone over the bumpers,

but the cabin is still secure.

bigouch-1.jpg

Compare it with these of a de bumpered six, cabin still in tact

rearenddamagetr6red.jpg

DSC02306-1.jpg

Photos of two Trs with and without bumpers, i have no idea of the speeds of either

vehicle, so maybe cant compare like for like, but in both instances there was signifigant damage

but cabin was ok.

Jury is not out yet.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

:blink: I never noticed that, Roger, will investigate though. :lol:

No. I just had to get a picture of Ol' Basil in snow. I mean snow down in the Deep South is a rare event and to actually have it accumulate on the ground, rarer yet.

12/11/08

100_0665.jpg

Uh-oh that's going to open a can of worms? hold on to your seats :(

Looks as if your right again Neil ;):lol:

Stuart

FWIW I also run no bumpers but that was originally because the ones that came with mine had US parking problems. Just got to like it that way now ;)

IMG_7090-1.jpg

Edited by stuart
Looks as if your right again Neil ;):lol:

Stuart

FWIW I also run no bumpers but that was originally because the ones that came with mine had US parking problems. Just got to like it that way now ;)

IMG_7090-1.jpg

Alas I fear it won't end here, all Guy had to do was call his insurance and ask, as I did with pics provided and valuation, all his post will do is cause confusion. :(

Edited by ntc
Alas I fear it won't end here, all Guy had to do was call his insurance and ask, as I did with pics provided and valuation, all his post will do is cause confusion. :(

Confusion! What confusion?

All i have done is ask a simple question? As a forum thats what you do Neil.

I have had past mechanical problems , and asked the forum, suppose i could

of simply phoned my garage instead!! <_<

So whats wrong with that. :blink:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
So whats wrong with that. :blink:

Cheers

Guy

I will let you know when my insurance renewal comes though next year

Why should it affect your renewal , you have been upfront with them.

Surely if you have not advised the insurance company of any modification on your car, and are unfortunate enough

to be envolved in an accident, they have good cause to void your insurance.

A tad stupid

Cheers

Guy

Nb when i said you i meant anyone

Edited by Jersey Royal
Why should it affect your renewal , you have been upfront with them.

Surely if you have not advised the insurance company of any modification on your car, and are unfortunate enough

to be envolved in an accident, they have good cause to void your insurance.

A tad stupid

Cheers

Guy

It is not normally an issue with them and yes I have been upfront, but there is an old saying ( Don't rock the boat or you will fall out)

It is not normally an issue with them and yes I have been upfront, but there is an old saying ( Don't rock the boat or you will fall out)

Always was a bad sailor. :mellow:

Ho hum..... An interesting post to be remembered by.

another saying for you "All good things come to an end"

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Cheers,

Alec

So why are they not fitted to any modern day car? they was banned due to injury's caused to pedestrians

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, nice towel rail, I wonder if they do one a little shorter, you see my bathroom door is not that wide an........

Hi Mr red

well i can honestly say i don't like that,

lots of comments all meaningful i have read

all down to personal taste

when i was a nipper the guy next door had a tr4 i was 12 years old and every Saturday

i use to help him clean it for a few pennies and a ride in the afternoon

wire wheels and lots of bling made a deep impression on me for me it distinguishes the old from the new

looks lovely shiny bumpers etc

especially when the sun shines on them

it really dous look like a towel rack, the art/disign has been taken out of the car, if the car was a live i believe it would cry :(

regards pink

Hi

UPDATE.

My Insurance company have finally got back to me, and confirm they dont have any issues with de bumpering,

all they asked was if i did carry out the mod i notify them in writing. There was also no increase in the premium.

Thats it, better to be up front.

Anyway havent decided either way as yet, i have some paintwork to correct on the rear valance,

which will involve the removal of bumper, will decide then.

So Neil and Stuart appears there are no issues, or "can of worms" :unsure:

Regards

Guy