My CR1 seat foam has finally given up and disintegrated. I was wondering whether members has thoughts on the merits of repair or replacement, specifically replacement with updated seats on offer from the likes of Moss. I looked at costs and remarkably the cost of all the bits to restore the originals is as much if not more than buying completly new seats from a catalogue.

My CR1 seat foam has finally given up and disintegrated. I was wondering whether members has thoughts on the merits of repair or replacement, specifically replacement with updated seats on offer from the likes of Moss. I looked at costs and remarkably the cost of all the bits to restore the originals is as much if not more than buying completly new seats from a catalogue.

Welcome to the forum.

My 6 had disintegrating and unsupportive seats, here's one still in-situ, and one replaced by MX5, detachable headrest type, eBay £100 the pair.

Oldnnew-1.jpg

Coincidentally, if you look at the Main forum, Topic TR Safety, you will find a current topic which gets into seats to some extent, but if you then do a search of the Main forum for ....which seat... or... seats.... you will find such a profusion of responses that it would seem superfluous to begin again.

And more in the TR6 forum.

We do love changing our seats. :P

Ivor

Pete, I had exactly the same decision to make on my CP series TR6. I opted for the new ones from Moss and am very pleased with them, they've been in the car for 5 years or so and are wearing very well and are comfortable.

Its all down to what you want out of a seat!!

originality,extra comfort,looks etc!

You can buy a good set of original seats for not a lot if you search.or even like has justsold on ebay a set of the moss ones in excellent nick for less than £200!!

I bought a fully refurbished set of USA highback seats for my car,off ebay fror just £80!!

OK while not totally original for a UK car they are TR6 seats,and offer better comfort than the std set did!!

IMAG0079.jpg

Its all down to what you want out of a seat!!

originality,extra comfort,looks etc!

You can buy a good set of original seats for not a lot if you search.or even like has justsold on ebay a set of the moss ones in excellent nick for less than £200!!

I bought a fully refurbished set of USA highback seats for my car,off ebay fror just £80!!

OK while not totally original for a UK car they are TR6 seats,and offer better comfort than the std set did!!

IMAG0079.jpg

Pilkie has it right in my view, close to original, not too expensive and headrests for safety. I tried the Moss seats and found that the seat bolster and the back are deeper than the originals and thus raise youre seating position and push you forward. I have the seat on its back stop and the extra height had me peering through the top bar of the windscreen so changed them. BTW I'm 5'10" so bear this in mind. I now have some old Ridguard seatrs, they are perfect, low base, reclining, side bolsters for back and seat, adjustable headrests, leather £300 (BTW very comfy and supportive unlike the originals)

I have original seats and realised that the foam had completely disintegrated (sitting in the car created yet more foam powder leaking onto my clean carpets!), so I replaced them initially with second hand Mazda MX5 seats that I bought second hand for £50 for the pair. The only problem with this is that you need a specially made bracket to fit the seats to fit through the original floor plan holes, though I managed to get some from a supplier who will normally only supply them with new maza seats. I would be happy to sell these brakets if you are interested.

This configuration gives you a higher driving position and nice firm modern seats, though you cannot fit a tonneau cover, as the integral head rests are too high.

I kept these inthe car for a year or more, but frankly the mazda seats were a dark blue, rather than black which the rest of the interior is and i always hankered for the original sets, whose vinyl was in great condition.

The long and the short of it is that I got the orginal seats reconditioned and not only are the seats nice and comfy again they 'look' right in the car and I've never looked back.

I guess any foam which is 30+ years old will have had it by now and must be replaced for the seats to be right.

I hope this helps you.

Rich

I fitted Moss seats and wished I had restored the old one's.

The seats raise you up which does't feel right, also the runners are very poor compared to the originals.

I received an e-mail today from this company (how did they get my address?):

news@b-gdirect.com

offering black (only) seats at half price (about £105 insted of £210, I think), "while stocks last". The seats seem to have a moulded-in headrest and plenty of side support.

I've no idea whether they would fit in a TR, but might be of interest to someone. I have no connection with this company, of course.

Ian Cornish

To the excellent foregoing advice I would only add that a leather conversion on original seats is generally a forgivable " offence " and will greatly enhance the luxury of the seats. As for comfort, I expect most substitutes will struggle to beat originals ( my experience in 30 years of driving Japanese cars in my business is that they are not the leaders in seat comfort <_< ).

In any case, I would not part with the originals - at least store them somewhere. TR6s had many seat models and future availability will diminish. Originality is becoming increasingly valuable with these relics ;)

I thought long and hard before replacing my seats,

but after a round trip of about 150 miles a few weeks ago and deciding my poor back couldnt take it again i decided to go down the mx5 route. I found a pair on ebay and got them for £75. they were black cloth with detachable headrests.

I had them reupholstered in a beige leatherette to suit the rest of the interior and have to say they look superb and are far more comfortable.

Put the old ones which were in perfect condition on ebay and sold them easily. which off set the price of getting the new ones reupholstered.

Total cost came to £250...money well spent me thinks to save the old back....!!!... :D

I restored my original 73 seats last year using TRF foams and leather from prestige autotops. Cost nearly USD 1000 but they came out great and i would way rather have them than poorly fitting alternatives. Actually, with new foams, diaphragms and tightened rear straps, they are decently comfortable.

Hi guys,

just thought you might be interested in my TR6 seats. They are MGF seats in leather. I originally posted this a few years ago but I recently found that the picture would no longer download so I have uploaded for you it again.

I find these seats very comfortable with good location and are very much in keeping with 1972, with the right kind of dimpling on the leather and very fitting style for the period. The guys at the last local TR meeting were very much in agreement.

The only problem is they are a bit of a tight fit. I have swapped driver and passenger seats so that the rake adjustment wheels have room to turn. I have also removed the hardboard carpet support on the prop-shaft tunnel to give a softer fit against the carpet. It really does look OK, not like it sounds, you don't notice the missing piece at all. I suppose I could pack under the carpet with some foam to get the full shape back if it bothered me.

Installation only required cutting off some of the original MG ironwork to lower the fitting line and then making up some very simple brackets to pick up the front bolts of the original TR seats. You could also pick up the rear bolts but I find my static seat belts hold it all solidly in place and allows the seats to tilt forward a bit giving some access to the rear shelf.

This pic was still in my PC but I could take some more of the tunnel, brackets, etc. if anyone is interested.

hope this may be of interest,

John

post-3798-1241818020_thumb.jpg

I also had to choose between restoration and buying new seats. The original seats were very bad, the only thing that was worth keeping were the frames. So I bought the foam and other small stuff from moss europe in and the seat covers from prestige autotrim.

The total costs were about € 500,-. And I am very happy with the result and the seats are pretty comfortable.

On my website I've got some pictures of the restoration

Regards,

Edwin.

Thank you for all your comments and advice most useful. I feel I am going down the original route in refurbishment; however, I am not sure I am going to get the quality I want doing it myself. Does anyone recommend a company (in the midlands who would do a good job.

Pete

Hi guys,

just thought you might be interested in my TR6 seats. They are MGF seats in leather. I originally posted this a few years ago but I recently found that the picture would no longer download so I have uploaded for you it again.

I find these seats very comfortable with good location and are very much in keeping with 1972, with the right kind of dimpling on the leather and very fitting style for the period. The guys at the last local TR meeting were very much in agreement.

The only problem is they are a bit of a tight fit. I have swapped driver and passenger seats so that the rake adjustment wheels have room to turn. I have also removed the hardboard carpet support on the prop-shaft tunnel to give a softer fit against the carpet. It really does look OK, not like it sounds, you don't notice the missing piece at all. I suppose I could pack under the carpet with some foam to get the full shape back if it bothered me.

Installation only required cutting off some of the original MG ironwork to lower the fitting line and then making up some very simple brackets to pick up the front bolts of the original TR seats. You could also pick up the rear bolts but I find my static seat belts hold it all solidly in place and allows the seats to tilt forward a bit giving some access to the rear shelf.

This pic was still in my PC but I could take some more of the tunnel, brackets, etc. if anyone is interested.

hope this may be of interest,

John

Hi John

saw the picture of your MGF seats - look great.

Much more in keeping with the TR6 style rather than MX5 seats

Any more pictures would be greatly appreciated as I'm now on the hunt for a set locally

Cheers

Paul

any other seat than the original never seems to please my eyes. By no means all original fetish but proportionally the original ones are the best you can get (even though in terms of safety and comfort they can be easily beaten by the alternatives :rolleyes: )

any other seat than the original never seems to please my eyes. By no means all original fetish but proportionally the original ones are the best you can get (even though in terms of safety and comfort they can be easily beaten by the alternatives :rolleyes: )

Hi Chaps,

i dont know which is worse.. <_<

seats in a Tr from an MG :lol: OR from a Mazda. :blink:

I will stick to my ten year old Moss ones.

Cheers

Guy

A great tip I was told about when having original seats refoamed and covered!! "whatever the car"

Go for a stiffer grade foam for better support,and longer lasting wear! Not quite as hard as some modern seats are but lots firmer than the soft originals were!

I sat in a TR6 at a local show that had its original 70's tilt/non hedrest type rebuilt this way,and they were extreemly comfy and supportive!

I was going to go this route myself,but found the ones ive got now menioned earlier!

I might however get a local trimmer i deliver to, to fit me some firmer seat bases this winter!!

I have tried to find all the info on the guy at the show and the trimmer,but I cant find it anywhere!!

Mind you my place is a total mess since I emptied my shed and garage of all my car stuff ready for the build of the double!

It could be anywhere in my 3 spare rooms full of TR and Rover parts etc!! :wacko::wacko:

Why not take a seat to your local upholsterer/trimmer,and see what they say???

If your covers are good then re-use them!!

Hi Chaps,

i dont know which is worse.. <_<

seats in a Tr from an MG :lol: OR from a Mazda. :blink:

I will stick to my ten year old Moss ones.

Cheers

Guy

Sorry Guy, but the Moss ones are in the same league :P , they are too high (though lower than the MX5's)

Sorry Guy, but the Moss ones are in the same league :P , they are too high (though lower than the MX5's)

I should off added in my opinion.

And

I think Mx5 seats look ok and are comfortable.

But, i can say that my seats aint come from an MG or Mazda.

There lies my issue with them. :blink:

Maybe Rigard seats are the answer albeit a tad expense.

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
I should off added in my opinion.

But, i can say that my seats aint come from an MG or Mazda.

Maybe Rigard seats are the answer albeit a tad expense.

Regards

Guy

I'd rather sit on the floorpans, or start wearing diapers and sit in a child-safety seat than going for a Ridgardseat. Anyways, let's stay on topic since the foam in my seats have seen better days as well and look for something to work on coming winter.

I fitted Ridgard full leather seats and headrest's into my TR5 and after nearly five years of use including long trips in Europe, find them sooooo comfortable.Not cheap,then quality never is!.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

I fitted Ridgard full leather seats and headrest's into my TR5 and after nearly five years of use including long trips in Europe, find them sooooo comfortable.Not cheap,then quality never is!.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

They look comfortable so they probably are. I have heard that they are very well made as well and although somewhat expensive, well worth their money.

They look comfortable so they probably are. I have heard that they are very well made as well and although somewhat expensive, well worth their money.

Strange Jobster

I thought you'd" rather sit on the floorpans, or start wearing diapers and sit in a child-safety seat than going for a Ridgardseat." <_<

We are all aloud to change our minds :lol:

Cheers

Guy