petrol smell/leak

Since my "fast-road" rebuild, there has been the odd whiff of fuel from under the bonnet. On closer inspection, I think it is coming from the overflow/breather pipes which come off the float chambers. Is this normal? It's probably not entirely safe either, and how can I rectify it?

Any advice would be warmly received (obviously not TOO warmly as we don't want the thing to go up!!!)

Thanks

David

Then rebuild the bowls: scored pointer, un-horizontal bowl, poorly adjusted float...... A thorough overlook of the carbs can't hurt.

A great classic is the loosening of the bowl bolt so the bowl tilts to and fro and the pointer gets stuck in its casing. The bowl must be well secured and perfectly horizontal. Bad ignition timing may also induce the air-fuel mix to blow back.

Badfrog

Then rebuild the bowls: scored pointer, un-horizontal bowl, poorly adjusted float...... A thorough overlook of the carbs can't hurt.

A great classic is the loosening of the bowl bolt so the bowl tilts to and fro and the pointer gets stuck in its casing. The bowl must be well secured and perfectly horizontal. Bad ignition timing may also induce the air-fuel mix to blow back.

Badfrog

If all of the above are correct then the other solution to lose the smell is run the overflow pipes down to the lower chassis level ensuring they are well away from anything hot ;)

Stuart.

If all of the above are correct then the other solution to lose the smell is run the overflow pipes down to the lower chassis level ensuring they are well away from anything hot ;)

Stuart.

Er,

Do you know how to make a cat bark?

Soak in petrol and crack a match.

The cat goes: "WOOOFFF".

In memory of Max, most stupid Huskie ever who used to chase parked cars and bite hedgehogs and just happened to pass away to day at 14. :(

Badfrog

Do as Stuart has suggested but also check the tightness of all the rubber fuel pipe clamps.

On both our TRs we experienced leaks from newly fitted rubber pipes and I had to re-tighten all of them regularly during the first couple of hundred miles. I also replaced a few crimped clamps with screw-type (Jubilee clip-style) clamps. Problems are now resolved, so I think the fumes and leaks were down to the initial expansion and loosening of modern rubber in contact with petrol.

Edited by BrianC
Er,

In memory of Max, most stupid Huskie ever who used to chase parked cars and bite hedgehogs and just happened to pass away to day at 14. :(

Badfrog

Many condolances Badfrog.

Stuart

Many TR owners who have the push-on rubber hoses will install small attractive-looking hose clamps on the ends to seal them. It's a safety item. My TR3A came with the banjo fittings and once one of the fiber gaskets on the top of the float bowl was leaking. Another time I lost about 5 liters of petrol from the top of one of the float bowls while driving home - about 35 miles. The bolt was loose, really loose. The smell was noticeable and at stop lights, other drivers were telling me something was dripping.

BUT THERE WAS NO FIRE !

Did you over-torque the screws holding the fuel pump top to the body, using a huge screwdriver. If so, you may have stripped the threads. This could explain the smell. If this is the answer, you can mount three tiny "C" clamps to seal the two parts together around the flanged area - until you can find another good fuel pump body. How do I know this ? Because I have been there before. I was able to buy longer screws for the three holes that go right through and I put nuts on the bottom of the flange. It works and the concours judges cannot see the nuts, hidden under the flange.

Hi David,

You might like to check that the fuel valves in the float chamber are closing properly, (Grose jets may be a better option, but others will know better then me).

TT

Since my "fast-road" rebuild, there has been the odd whiff of fuel from under the bonnet. On closer inspection, I think it is coming from the overflow/breather pipes which come off the float chambers. Is this normal? It's probably not entirely safe either, and how can I rectify it?

Any advice would be warmly received (obviously not TOO warmly as we don't want the thing to go up!!!)

Thanks

David

Er,

Badfrog

Sorry to hear about Max, are you going to get another furry car companion ?

Alan

Hi David,

You might like to check that the fuel valves in the float chamber are closing properly, (Grose jets may be a better option, but others will know better then me).

TT

Hi

I second this - my money is on the float valves. I had leaks with ancient valves & switched to Grose Jets [valves]. That was a long time ago & remain fine to this day.

regards

Adrian

Sorry to hear about Max, are you going to get another furry car companion ?

Alan

Thanks Alan,

For the time being I have to organize my retirement next year, sell the house and move, so I'll wait a bit for a new experiment in in-doors flea circuses. The missus is considering an owl. Takes all kinds.

Badfrog

Er,

Badfrog

My Irish Setter "Gus" who would challenge "Max" for lack of gray matter any day, went to Doggie Heaven this morning, also. Our sons have grown up and left the nest, and Gus was our last. I miss all the dogs we've had and hope to be with them in Doggie Heaven.

Have you read "The Art of Racing In The Rain"? It might help.

Er,

Badfrog

It is absolutely heart breaking to lose a loved member of the family. In his memory waste no time and approach a rescue centre soon.

Richard and Harry

It is absolutely heart breaking to lose a loved member of the family. In his memory waste no time and approach a rescue centre soon.

Richard and Harry

Fully agree. Would recommend googling Labrador Rescue (I have now had three Labs over the last 12 years from them). Not quite sure what this has to do with this thread of "petrol smells and leaks", but can see the connection with the "smells and leaks" part of the topic :lol:

Regards

Peter

Fully agree. Would recommend googling Labrador Rescue (I have now had three Labs over the last 12 years from them). Not quite sure what this has to do with this thread of "petrol smells and leaks", but can see the connection with the "smells and leaks" part of the topic :lol:

Regards

Peter

Wel, it's quite complicated. First there's a relation with the joke in "at the bar" about disguising a bitch stuck at "this time of the year" with petrol. Then, at the beginning of the thread someone stated he would be happy enough with carbs overflow tubes going down away from the exhaust. My point was that petrol and hotspots tend to go "woof" when put together.

It's a grand thing in this forum that it is always tightly bound to the unwielding steel rails of logic.

Badfrog

The author is overly modest:

Thanks for the info Bob.

Sounds exactly like what I would have tried to write if I had the talent. I'll get the book ASAP. In memory of Max who just reincarnated as a french MP, on account of its incredible ability to nap from one meal to the other.

Regards,

JFS