Chassis sheared!

For once, glad to have a 'late' car as I believe the chassis strengthening was incorporated ab initio.

Although this reminds me ... long ago... our road is long and straight, walking from the station I espied from afar a car apparently stranded on the pavement outside someone's house, haha thought I, as one does, but gradually it dawned on me that it was my car and my house...

Our Moggie Minor shooting brake, with the lower trunnion(?) gone whilst the wife was reversing into the drive, the wheel flat on the pavement, the car likewise. <_<

Ivor

Following my accident in the TR last year ,the bottom wishbone mounting bracket was bent and at the time I thought it had failed because the strengthening brackets were only tack welded where they wrap down the sides of the chassis.

I have since been told that if ithey had been fully welded the damage to the chassis would have been considerable, so bear this in mind when welding in new brackets.

In addition the bottom wishbome brackets are bolted through the mounting plate and the additional two holes are not required - So I took the oppertunity to weld an additional plate behind the bracket and fill up the redundant holes.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Dave,

"I am going to see if adding some nuts and bolts will do the job better?? "

No, it won't. Don't go there.

http://www.ctmengineering.co.uk/tr6.htm

Have a chat with Colin, purchase one of his strengthening kits (they're not expensive) and do the job properly.

Some wheels aren't worth re-inventing. Lower pick up points amongst them.

Cheers,

Alec

Dave whilst you are in there I would fit the four Reinforcment plates Part number 139580R that fit behind the Chassis boxes and spread the load of the lower wishbone inner brackets through the frame. (Though beware they need the holes filing slightly to fit the bracket bolt spacings)

Stuart.

Hi Stuart.

If there aren't any already on there, I will fabricate some!

I would of though that sort of thing should of been std to spread the load! :huh:

Looks like the design was obviously flawed from the outset!!

They should of made it boxed in,with access from the top to get at the nuts!

I am going to box all 4 in!

Those piddly little strengtheners dont seem man enough,and were probably just a quick fix afterthough by BL once the problem started to arise!

ie; It makes the owner feel reassured and gets them off their back for a good while,at least until the warranty runs out! ;)

This is all work I was going to do this winter once the garage was built ;).

As I was not happy with their design,after finding out about other incidents like this!

SODS law says it was bound to happen before I got round to sorting it out!

Thankfully no other damage done,and a relatively easy fix to do,once ive whipped the eng/box out!!!

Dave

a relatively easy fix to do, once I've whipped the eng/box out!!!

"Whipped"? :blink:

Not the choice of words I'd make, but if you're that good my hat's off to you!

FWIW, the readily available gussets ( note these are actually pressings which make them much stronger than flat ones of the same gauge ) can be installed without removing much at all. Fulcrum bracket replacement will of course necessitate suspension suspension!

Unfortunately many welders will weaken the chassis more than strengthening it. The chassis box of the longitudinal members is made of rather thin material and adding additional brackets might reinforce the suspension but weaken the chassis if this is not well done.

At the occasion of the International a couple of years ago a friend of mine had experienced a complete failure of the front chassis member around the bracket area. His TR6 was recently restored and fitted with a new, or renewed chassis, purchased from a well known U.K. supplier. As he participated in rallies, he had requested the chassis to be strengthened in the weak areas, according to the known procedures.

When he drove over the camping ground, in sight of everyone from the club present, the right front suspension suddenly completely collapsed. After investigation it showed that the chassis member between the lower brackets had peeled open like a can on two of the four surfaces :( .

Welding thin material is an art and not many are able to do it in a safe way ;) I'm not that's for sure

It this only a problem on TR6 Chassis ? I thought the chassis front end of all our cars from TR2 to TR6 were the same apart from changed castor/camber angles after the 4. Am I missing something ?? :unsure:

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog
It this only a problem on TR6 Chassis ? I thought the chassis front end of all our cars from TR2 to TR6 were the same apart from changed castor/camber angles after the 4. Am I missing something ?? :unsure:

Cheers

Alan

Alan on 2/3/4s the lower inner wishbone attachments are different to the IRS chassis although they are still a weak point and should also be reinforced.The early type will also tend to twist the turret if kerbed hard whereas the later ones will tend to push the turret in before twisting and also put a dent in the side of the chassis rail .

Stuart

It's also worth recalling that in the '70s detached lower wishbones seemed to be more common on 6s than on 4As and 5s - and at a younger age/lower mileage.

The wider rims and XAS tyres permitted significantly higher cornering speeds for the later cars, which probably explained the problem . . . .

Cheers,

Alec