what did it do

what did this plastic block do

is it joined to the alternator

can it be used

i have had it explained to me what it is for but i am confused

pink

010.jpg

Hi Pinky

That as far I know is not a standard block and the wire's should be brown?

Regards

Neil

Hi Pinky

That as far I know is not a standard block and the wire's should be brown?

Regards

Neil

Hi Chaps

The plastic block is the same as in my six, and i concure the wires should be brown.

Maybe yours are blue as they were respliced in for some reason :unsure:<_<

I always thought the supply for this came from the alternator, and the wiring was left over from Tr5 days, so

when the loom was used in the Six which did not have a recitfier Triumph fitted this block. :unsure:

But i like you dont know for sure.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Chaps

The plastic block is the same as in my six, and i concure the wires should be brown.

Maybe yours are blue as they were respliced in for some reason :unsure:<_<

I always thought the supply for this came from the alternator, and the wiring was left over from Tr5 days, so

when the loom was used in the Six which did not have a recitfier Triumph fitted this block. :unsure:

But i like you dont know for sure.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy

Just been to check my 6 the block does look similar however it has one wire each side not both on the same?

Neil

I too concur!!

My 1970 has it as well but with the thick brown wires!

Seen plenty of underbonnet pics with it in!

IMG_0060.jpg

A remnant of when the TR5 and early TR6's were fitted with an alternator with a seperate regulator!

Edited by PILKIE
I too concur!!

My 1970 has it as well but with the thick brown wires!

Seen plenty of underbonnet pics with it in!

A remnant of when the TR5 and early TR6's were fitted with an alternator with a seperate regulator!

My 1970 had one too . It made no sense to me so I didnt refit when I restored the car . It works fine without the connector and I have no plans to refit it although it is in a known place should it be required .

Hi Guy

Just been to check my 6 the block does look similar however it has one wire each side not both on the same?

Neil

Hi Neil

Pinkys are separate, so you may be refering to my layout on the plastic block? If so

i think they were separate., originaly

But the query remains where do they come from ..... Alternator and why two wires? Perhaps one shoots off elsewhere?

Cheers

GUY

Big bl**dy in line fuse. The metal in the case is like a thick H.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Page 166 of the later haynes manual, pic top right ,shows the alternator regulator,these wires would of gone to that on earlier cars!

Wires were basically for battery charge up control and battery charged up sensor,now all built in on the ACR alternators!!

Page 166 of the later haynes manual, pic top right ,shows the alternator regulator,these wires would of gone to that on earlier cars!

Wires were basically for battery charge up control and battery charged up sensor,now all built in on the ACR alternators!!

Hi Dave,

Well spotted, so its supply does comes from the alternator. So not a good idea to use it as a supply to separate fuse box, <_< due to the amperage that would potentialy flow to it.

So what useful purpose could this have now?

Cheers

Guy

Hi Neil

Pinkys are separate, so you may be refering to my layout on the plastic block? If so

i think they were separate., originaly

But the query remains where do they come from ..... Alternator and why two wires? Perhaps one shoots off elsewhere?

Cheers

GUY

Big bl**dy in line fuse. The metal in the case is like a thick H.

Yep!

But small enough to melt better than whole car burn? the wires were not small, there must be a reason for that?

Neil

Will bung a volt meter on mine tomorrow and see what it says!!

I think all it really does now is either connect the 2 wires,or form a take off point for aux items!

ie FOGS or SPOTS!!

Edited by PILKIE
Will bung a volt meter on mine tomorrow and see what it says!!

Dave,

Bon idea

Try it with car running normaly, and then try it under load ie lights on plus every accessory you may have on so alternator

is powered up.

Isnt it the amps that are important too? Tooo many amps and things go pop.?

Hope to see the result tomorrow :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

MORNIN ALL!!! :P

Ive been up and at it early this morn!

The mysterious connector block.

Haynes manual,page 187 item 22.

Mine is wired exactly as shown.

1. Single brown wire is connected to the battery via starter.

A direct power take off the battery!!

Via what it says it is,the connector block!

2. Brown double wire. The thick one goes via the fuse box,and is responsible for power for the horn and overdrive.

The thin one feeds back towards an output near alternator,and is sealed off.

Could probably have been to do with the ign system. ie ballast/non ballast! 12v/6v!!

As my ign system was rewired to bypass this back in the mid 80's.

Now I need another cuppa before I give it a clean up,then I can go for a blast to see Mike Collins who is local to me,for another cuppa,chat,pick up some bits,and a looksee how he is getting on with his 6!

Dave

Hi Pinky & Co,

the plastic lump is simply a connetor block coming from the Alt into the main electric system. On the older cars with control/regulator box & dyno this block is used to short out all the loose ends if fitting an Alt.

On the six it sort of serves a similar job but less wires. If you only have two wires then an in-line connector would do just as well.

There should be no reason why other services can't be run off it (make sure they are appropriately fused) as somewhere down the line it will join the main fuse box and battery.

Roger

Hi pink,

The shape and construction of this suggests that it is a heat sink for something. Without more information I was guess it is a rectifier diode; possibly a means for powering the field coils of an earlier alternator, but without access to one I can't say what it actually does.

In either case, If you have a more recent alternator (ACR or similar), and if this is still wired in, you can run an Aux fuse box from it. (either of the wires will work, but if the block starts to get hot under use, connect to the other wire).

TT

what did this plastic block do

is it joined to the alternator

can it be used

i have had it explained to me what it is for but i am confused

pink

010.jpg

I use the connector block as a pick-up point for a second fuse box, no problem at all, works very well. In my view there are some stupid mistakes made in the wiring on the TR6. Another one is to pick up the feed for electrics on the starter solenoid. As this is exposed to heat and dirt it's designed to create problems :(

Hi Pinky.

Pull the wires off and then try your horn!! Also try your o/d solenoid by "without starting the eng" turning on the ign,select 3rd! and operate the switch,on mine the relay just clicks and when you connect the wire the o/d solenoid operates!

Dave

Hi Pinky.

Pull the wires off and then try your horn!! Also try your o/d solenoid by "without starting the eng" turning on the ign,select 3rd! and operate the switch,on mine the relay just clicks and when you connect the wire the o/d solenoid operates!

Dave

Hi Dave

I am no sparky but it sounds like it has already got quite a load on it especially with an A type overdrive

Neil

thanks lads

for the replies it seems there are a few different points of view

the information it has helped but it seems no one has actually nailed it

regards pink

It is exactly what the wiring diagram in the book says it is!!

A connector block! To join 2 or more wires together!

At least it is on mine,and as far as I can tell mine is original!

The other "small" brown wire that I though went to the ign system,doesnt!! It originally went to an output or input on the original alternator.

Mine has an upgraded alternator and its not connected anymore.

Receives direct power fed from the + battery wire on the starter,which then feeds via a fuse in the box for the horn,interior lights, and overdrive if you have it fitted. Also used as a power pick up point for fog or spot lights via a relay.

Edited by PILKIE