intetia fuel cut out

Guest newtr6

Hi Arthur

There is one on ebay at the mo... they do come up from time to time...

Inertia Switch

Brgds

Arthur,

if you mean where on the car its the grey cylinder on the passenger side of the bulkhead, about 3 inches long , 1 inch diameter with a couple ogf wires in the bottom and a screw in cap on the top.

hi thanks for speedy replies

have all trs got them cos i saw one on ebay,and this jogged my memory of never seeing one on my 1969 tr

thanks

arthur

I thought that all of the PI cars got one. None of the carb engines did as the fuel pump is the AC mechanical driven off the camshaft. Probably a good idea for people converting from mechanical to electric.

have all trs got them cos i saw one on ebay, and this jogged my memory of never seeing one on my 1969 tr

Its purpose is to stop the fuel pump if the car turns over. For minimal cost, seems a good idea.

Ivor

hi thanks for speedy replies

have all trs got them cos i saw one on ebay,and this jogged my memory of never seeing one on my 1969 tr

thanks

arthur

All PI's should have one fitted as far as I'm aware; as said, it’s a safety feature to diss power supply to the fuel pump in the event of an accident. Look for an empty “C” bracket on the bulkhead or possibly some holes where the bracket rivets have been drilled out & probably a pair of spade connectors joined near the bulkhead to complete the circuit. The inertia switch will (should) operate in the event of sharp acceleration/deceleration (as in shunt) & not just if the car overturns; it has been known to operate in the case of spirited driving around bumpy lanes! ;)

If yours is missing, my advice would be to fit one; it’s a standard safety feature & the lack of one could give your insurance company an excuse not to pay up in the event of an accident even if it doesn’t involve fire!

Edited by Richard Crawley
All PI's should have one fitted as far as I'm aware; as said, it’s a safety feature to diss power supply to the fuel pump in the event of an accident. Look for an empty “C” bracket on the bulkhead or possibly some holes where the bracket rivets have been drilled out & probably a pair of spade connectors joined near the bulkhead to complete the circuit. The inertia switch will (should) operate in the event of sharp acceleration/deceleration (as in shunt) & not just if the car overturns; it has been known to operate in the case of spirited driving around bumpy lanes! ;)

If yours is missing, my advice would be to fit one; it’s a standard safety feature & the lack of one could give your insurance company an excuse not to pay up in the event of an accident even if it doesn’t involve fire!

It was not fitted to all PI's most 5's did not have it and some early 6's

Neil

Edited by ntc

Arthur

My TR5 also never had one (not on the wiring diagrams either) and I have retro fitted one (but not in the 'standard' engine bay position), both for the safety aspect and also as as a 'theft deterrent' as the engine cannot be started if it is isolated... In addition, circuit checking can be done with ignition 'on' and the fuel pump not running...

Brgds

Interesting, thanks for the feedback; so does anyone know when they became standard fitment? A friend back in the 70’s had a 68 TR5 & his had one but I suppose it could have been retro-fitted; did any 5’s have them factory fitted? It would seem rather a nonsense to factory fit later 5’s & not fit them to the early 6’s but I suppose Triumph did many things back then that didn’t make much sense! :rolleyes:

According to the Moss catalogue, fuel cut-out switch was fitted from eng no 52328CP. Not sure how we can translate this to a model year?

Yours

Paul

Morning gents

A question,my 6 has one and are you saying that by tracing the wiring back a little and putting a switch in the power feed wire we have created an imobalizer.

alan

Morning gents

A question,my 6 has one and are you saying that by tracing the wiring back a little and putting a switch in the power feed wire we have created an imobalizer.

alan

Absolutely; my 6 originally had a simple toggle switch fitted out of sight under the dash next to the heater. It actually prevented the car being stolen once when the Police were staking out a railway commuter car park. They caught the bastards trying to start my car & they said it was a good job they didn’t get it going because they had decided they were going to stop them leaving the car park & arrest them come what may! :blink:

Another way of immobilising is simply to operate the inertia switch; probably enough to confuse stupid little shits out for a joy ride but wouldn’t deter a thief who knows the cars.

Revington has some uprated ones which can be found here. In their newsletter last week they mentioned a 50% discount, can't see it on the site so maybe just for newsletter-member. Not an original one, good luck finding these. You would only need it once but with a PI I would not dare driving without one. The originals are prone to failure after 30+ years but can be easily opened, cleaned, fixed and re-assembled again.

Edited by jobster
Not an original one, good luck finding these. You would only need it once but with a PI I would not dare driving without one. The originals are prone to failure after 30+ years but can be easily opened, cleaned, fixed and re-assembled again.

The original switches were not unique to the TR so can probably be had from several different sources. I also read somewhere about modern equivalents being suitable from several car makes; Ford was specifically mentioned but I’ve no idea what’s suitable & what isn’t.

Suddenly, I remembered the latest Revington Newsletter, and from it here is Bill's first offer:

Fuel cut off inertia switch RTR8346K . This part is a must for all fuel injected cars as it is a safety critical item. If you do not have one fitted then you must fit one of these. This switch will cut the feed to the fuel pump in the event of an accident and prevent it from continuing to pump fuel. It only has to work once so you want to make sure yours is in good working order. At the price I am offering it at it is worth replacing the existing one in any case. RTR8346K normally retails at £33.21 (inc vat) and includes the inertia switch, connector, 2 screws and fitting instructions. As this is my first offer I am pushing the boat out and am able to offer this item at a significant discount of 50% making the sale price £16.61(inc vat). Give me a call if you require one for yourself or two or more for your club, or buy online below . Don’t forget they don’t just fit TR’s, any fuel injected car will benefit from the fitment of this switch. This offer is only available until the 28th February 2009 so please call soon to place your order. Please quote NL0209.

Ian Cornish

According to the Triumph Newsletter no 247 dated 4th September 1970 and the 1973 version of the parts book (517785A) the inertia switch was fitted from body number 51399CP rhd and body number 52328CP lhd. That would make it at about commission number CP52300 for rhd and CP53750 for lhd.

cheers

Derek