Hood frame - correct colour?

Depends on wether it had a black or white hood originally. Black hood usually has a black frame. White hood normally has a light tan type of coloured frame, also the rear hood attachment plate will be matching colour. Difficult colour to match the light tan as there isnt any references. As far as I know there isnt any other colour of frame fitted to 4a.

Stuart.

Black 4A, which since I bought it has had a (very) white hood frame.

Looks wrong and I suspect it should be something else.

Bill Piggott's book doesn't appear to throw any light on the issue.

Any ideas?

I'm not up on 4As but on 3As and early 4s, the inside of the factory

hood, black or white, was tan. The hood frame was painted a beige

colour to match (slightly darker than the tan of the hood)

Not sure about the original inside colour of TR2 and TR3 special hood

colours. I once had an original blackberry tonneau that was blackberry

colour inside - I assume the hood would have been the same.

I don't know when if if the original hoods changed to black inside - my suspicion

is not until the TR5 at least, maybe even the TR6, but if the original hood was

black inside, this would prompt a change in hood frame colour.

Most replacement hoods are black inside for all models so maybe this would lead

owners to have their frames painted to match.

AlanR

My 1962 TR4 had a beige hood frame - same as the surrey hood sticks on my current 5... I resprayed it with a propriety aerosol from the local motor shop - a very close match was found, though I cannot recall nor find the colour used...

Brgds

Simple question - I'm a simple person

Black 4A, which since I bought it has had a (very) white hood frame. Looks wrong and I suspect it should be something else. Bill Piggott's book doesn't appear to throw any light on the issue.

Any ideas?

Mine was white, same white as the body (TR4A 1966).

During the recent restoration I painted it beige, since the inner side of the mohair soft top is beige.

Reinaldo

Beige on my TR4, as on some friend's TR4.

I thinks Stuart is right, it may be originally black when the hood is black inside ?

Cheers,

Chris.

My 1962 TR4 has beige hood sticks, probably repainted. As I recall, my 1965 TR4 had the same colour.

Simple question - I'm a simple person

Black 4A, which since I bought it has had a (very) white hood frame. Looks wrong and I suspect it should be something else. Bill Piggott's book doesn't appear to throw any light on the issue.

Any ideas?

Hi

My british racing green 62 tr4 has a surry top of which the soft top frame is biege, the soft middle top is black outside and biege inside the frame certainly looks original..

Phil..

Right. Totally confused, albeit I'm pretty clear it shouldn't be white.

Seems that white cars have beige frames and blue cars have black frames.

Anyone actually got a black TR4A.....apart from me?

I suppose failing a definitive answer I could always start a vote.....

Thanks all for your replys (and the support for my avatar)

FWIW, the US TRA Judging Guidelines state that the hoodsticks for both the TR4 and TR4A were painted light beige. Although not in colour, all the pictures in the Driver's Handbook are consistent with that colour. However, Roger William's book shows them in black :lol: .

The 3A I co-drove at the end of the 60s had hoodsticks painted in luminous white, and the inside of the hood painted in a very fair interpretation of the Disraeli Gears album cover . . . . sadly it went with the wreckage of the car in 1970.

You'd probably raise a riot if you did that nowadays . . . . a psychedelic Peerless is a tempting thought though, just for the hell of it and to p*ss off the purists :D

Cheers,

Alec

See post #8 above.

Is it me......? Does it matter :unsure:

Last time I checked I had a life :lol:

I quite agree, but you are not alone - we all seem to get sucked in to these 'anorak' discussions (Why am I still following this thread? :unsure: )

The 3A I co-drove at the end of the 60s had hoodsticks painted in luminous white, and the inside of the hood painted in a very fair interpretation of the Disraeli Gears album cover . . . . sadly it went with the wreckage of the car in 1970.

You'd probably raise a riot if you did that nowadays . . . . a psychedelic Peerless is a tempting thought though, just for the hell of it and to p*ss off the purists :D

That I'd love to see, but preferably on a post-67 TR, not a Peerless. There have been pictures of some highly customised TR6s on here which would be highly deserving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disraeli_Gears

Edited by BrianC
Right. Totally confused, albeit I'm pretty clear it shouldn't be white.

Seems that white cars have beige frames and blue cars have black frames.

I suppose failing a definitive answer I could always start a vote.....

Thanks all for your replys (and the support for my avatar)

My US imported 4a is original Royal blue and had the light tan hood frame as it had a white hood originally.

Stuart.

We take this as a promise - no going back now!

AlanR

Dont encourage him cos you just know he will :lol::lol:

Stuart.