TR7 with a difference

i went to look at this last year when it first sold as it was very local to me, it looks and sounds a lot more impressive than the advert suggests i was seriously tempted just for how unusual it looked and nothing to do with my passion for tr7.

there has been a serious amount of money already spent on this and and awful lot left to spend.

Good evening gentlemen.

I'm the guy who has bought this tr8 daytona. as far as i can tell i don't have a big L on my forehead, however do you chaps think this is a big mistake to buy? one of you have viewed it. Is it that good? For me its just a bit of fun, i always felt distain towards kit cars, buit this is slightly different, being a factory built, mainly metal car just with a much much more attractive body on the top! I had planned to go up and collect it next week. the seller seems very nice and has e-mailed loads of really good pics. car look good condition. I'm not going to pretend its a ferrari, won't badge it just give her a really nice p[aint job and tidy it up. It is afterall just a really nice sounding and pretty fun convertible, with a nice engine etc etc...

Seems a bargain for 2k.

what are your opinions? I'd be interested.

Many thanks,

david

Good evening gentlemen.

I'm the guy who has bought this tr8 daytona. as far as i can tell i don't have a big L on my forehead, however do you chaps think this is a big mistake to buy? one of you have viewed it. Is it that good? For me its just a bit of fun, i always felt distain towards kit cars, buit this is slightly different, being a factory built, mainly metal car just with a much much more attractive body on the top! I had planned to go up and collect it next week. the seller seems very nice and has e-mailed loads of really good pics. car look good condition. I'm not going to pretend its a ferrari, won't badge it just give her a really nice p[aint job and tidy it up. It is afterall just a really nice sounding and pretty fun convertible, with a nice engine etc etc...

Seems a bargain for 2k.

Many thanks,

david

Greetings David,

there's nothing like a bumpy ride into the Forum - and before you've even introduced yourself ! ;)

Don't worry about the branded forehead, it's probably common to many car nuts, we just avoid mirrors . . . :D

Meanwhile, welcome !!

It's probably fair to say that the majority of TR owners look upon whatever 'kit car' variant with disdain, whichever model it's based on. On the other hand, a fair few of us have a soft spot for the oddities, whether they're UK Wedge ferrari-ish creations, Grinnalls, or USA Devin bodies and the like on older TRs. One man's meat and all that.

From what I've heard previously about this particular car (and not just on this Forum) a lot of detail work has already gone into what was a pretty sound base car. If that is in fact the case, and you're prepared to put in what's going to be a fair amount of hard and skilled graft into finishing the exercise properly, then you'll finish up with a decent one-off. V8 Wedges, properly sorted, offer a lot of performance for a relatively modest amount of money.

If it's your car, and you're driving it, then as long as you're happy with it the opinions of Triumph purists are always going to be fairly incidental. It it's well-finished, it'll attract plenty of admiring glances from the less pedantic amongst the world at large.

Mechanically it should be pretty much all run-of-the-mill TR7V8, so there'll be ample advice when you come to need it - just keep asking the questions . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Good evening gentlemen.

Seems a bargain for 2k.

Many thanks,

david

Hi David and welcome. That looks like a great project for 2K gbp and I find the body style quite attractive. Look forward to seeing your assessment after you take delivery and the pictures after you finish the body and paint it.

Stan

David

Its a toy like all of our toys er I mean cars. Personally I really like it and if I had seen it and had the money.... The only opinion that is important is your own, lets face it it is a Triumph not a Bugatti or Maserati so do with it as you wish as long as it makes you smile, and of course if it is a proper Triumph sometimes swear when it brakes down. No matter what you drive there will always be someone who does not like it, thats their loss.

Welcome to the forum and now you have a TR you could do worse than joining the Register, I bet the detractors will eat their words when they see your car all finished and parked up at this years international

Cheers

Alan

As has been said - it is your car making look how you want it to look - there are a good number of essentially standard looking cars out there (TRs and others) that have been modified in one way or another - so not 'standard issue'.

Each to their own and all that!

I reckon once completed it will look a darn sight better than the 'TR40' body mod that was available for TR7's a few years back!!! Oh dear - opened a can of worms there then!!! :P;)

Hope you manage to get it going without (too) much difficulty!

Best regards

Edited by ianhoward

I think its a bargain, I actually like the Robin Hood conversion, the factory built demonstrator was nicely finished and looked "proper" this car looks as though all the hard work has been done so should look great when finished. Even though my cars are usually standard looking, I do like the TR40, Grinnalls etc. just a bit different.

yes i viewed it when previous owner had it for sale earlier this year that guy was in the army, and also had a mr2 355 on the go he didnt have enough time on his hands to complete i exchanged many messages with him regards doing a deal. in the end i recall he offered it to me for 2k but just couldn't justify it at the time. but i was so tempted just to buy and put on back burner for a few years. It looks so good i suspect the seats and interior would have cost 2k on their own, the dash as i recall although standard tr7 fair was hand stitched in beige / cream leather same as seats and door cards. good luck i am very jealous, it looks like you have many hours of fun in front of you. where are you based.

Edited by birminghamtr7

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps. I've never done a forum before, but seems a great idea to swap info etc. I must admit i hate the tr40 and most other chopped up kit cars made in someones shed. However, as you say, this one looks good and is all factory original. Tr7 followedd by the richard stuart factory elongating the chassis and fitting the v8. So should well enough built and great parts availability. For me in the end it is just about having some fun. Personally, anyone who is in to cars knows instantly when you see an mr2 '355'. They are far too narrow and short, and look stupid and cost the earth. Can't believe people try to get upwards of 10k for them. rubbish.

However, on piston heads the guys were having a debate and it seems if the car is sufficiently rare and expensive as to be beyond the reach of most, and too expesnive to risk on the road for those who have paid 1.2 million for one of only 7 original right hand drive daytona spyders then a nicely sorted replica is fine. Means you can enjoy the car without worrying too much. I think ferrari badges are abit sad, so won't bother with them. but this replica looks exactly spot on interms of dimentions. so should look nice when sprayed up.

See this pic for how i intend it to be finished. It looks asthough my car just needs some finishing and painting, carpets and bumpers. which can be had from the daytona club, and tr7 carpet set from your club.

Anyway I've droned on enough. I'll let you all know when i've got it. I'm in cardiff by the way. This one is tr7 and the same as mine!!! nice eh.

http://www.daytonareplicaclub.co.uk/image....aytona%20Spyder

Cheers.

yes i viewed it when previous owner had it for sale earlier this year that guy was in the army, and also had a mr2 355 on the go he didnt have enough time on his hands to complete i exchanged many messages with him regards doing a deal. in the end i recall he offered it to me for 2k but just couldn't justify it at the time. but i was so tempted just to buy and put on back burner for a few years. It looks so good i suspect the seats and interior would have cost 2k on their own, the dash as i recall although standard tr7 fair was hand stitched in beige / cream leather same as seats and door cards. good luck i am very jealous, it looks like you have many hours of fun in front of you. where are you based.

This one is tr7 and the same as mine!!! nice eh.

http://www.daytonareplicaclub.co.uk/image....aytona%20Spyder

David

If you can get yours to end up looking even similar to that then I am sure you will have a 'Cheshire Cat Grin'!

Good luck - and join the TR Register!!! :lol: